BMR vs. TDEE: What MFP Is Telling You

Options
124»

Replies

• Richardcag
    Richardcag Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Im a newbie to the site and after reading this thread has me confused.

Using calculators on the same site (www.calculator.net) it tells me that my BMR is 2238 and my TDEE is 2186 (to lose 1lb p/w).

Does this sound correct??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is old! Haha :) I can't believe I've been here for so long!

I can't believe I bumped a post from someone who's been here longer than I have!

You are so smart and educated on this stuff, that this post holds up.

Nice to see you back.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Great post. I think there are a lot of people out there that take what they read as law and don't exactly understand what they have read. There is no way for any site to correctly tell you your BMR. Or your BMI for that matter. They only base it on age, height and weight. There is so much more to take in consideration when finding the actual numbers for those. And even if you go and pay big bucks to have tests done to figure your BMR or your BMI there is still a percentage error.

I think that people need to use the site as a "base point" and make adjustments from there. Personally I usually eat a little more than it tells me I need to. I have very musclar arms and legs which means that I will burn more calories than somebody the same height as me with very little muscling.

Your BMI is actually 100% a calculation and there is no error. It is your weight in kilograms divided by your height in meters squared. What it actually means is up for debate though.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is old! Haha :) I can't believe I've been here for so long!

I can't believe I bumped a post from someone who's been here longer than I have!

You are so smart and educated on this stuff, that this post holds up.

Nice to see you back.

Thank you! Back then I was just a freshmen in college...WOW I feel my age today!
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great post. Very easy to understand :)
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    bump!!!!
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    - last week I went and had my body fat and BMR tested. Body fat was tested by dunking in a tub of water - came out to 25% which is what I expected. My BMR was tested by sitting and breathing into a machine for 10 minutes, and it came out to 1,900
    Where can one have that done?
    In Australia?
    In Melbourne?
    What does it cost?