Losing weight without exercise

Options
Can I still lose weight without exercise? I was in the hospital for 2 days. I ws diagnosed with Psuedotumor Cerebri.
My neurologist wants me to take it easy for a month until I go back for another MRI. Psuedotumor Cerebri makes me dizzy 24/7 so I really don't want to faint. I have an appointment in a month and we're going to talk about losing weight because weight loss can reverse the psuedotumor and make it go away.

So can I lose weight without exercise? I eat 1,200-1,300 calories a day and I'm absolutely fine with it because I find it easy to eat less. I will walk, and do light exercise when I'm up to it.

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do not have to exercise to lose weight.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I believe you can. I know it doesn't seem ideal, but do listen to your neurologist. Your neurologist knows that losing weight will help you, and has come to the conclusion that for now it is in your best interest to wait with exercise. If you still need to wait after your next appointment, ask your neurologist to recommend someone who could help you with weight loss. Perhaps a Physical Therapist could help you choose exercises light enough for you to handle, and a nutritionist could help you make sure you don't overcompensate for being unable to exercise.
    I wish you all the best. :flowerforyou:
  • padieane
    padieane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was on my first hard-core 1200 cal diet, I lost my first 30 pounds without exercise. It can be done. I dont recommend it because of the skin hang, but if you dont mind it wont matter
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise right now either. I have COPD and it makes it hard to exercise. I'm hoping that once some of this weight comes off, I'll be able to breathe easier. I've lost 5 lbs so far and haven't exercised.
  • rnktsk1
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercise , I did it before and i am doing it again , as a mother of 6 months old baby my day is full of responsibilities and when i finally have time for my self i want to relax .But i do like walking ,i do walking taking my baby to the playground .:)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can use a light hand weight 3 to 8 pounds and exercise your arms while sitting down? Because if you don't do something your muscle tone will go away. And when you have bigger muscles "not huge" just a little bigger it will help increase your metabolism. For every pound of muscle you gain your body burns up to 5 to 10 extra calories a day depending on your body type. I do not recommend trying to loose weight with out exercising. Try and do something. Hold on to a wall and do a few squats. Or walk up and down a wall using it as balance. Trying to lose weight without exercising will work at first but will back fire in the long run because your body will get used to your calorie intake and your metabolism will slow down. Exercising helps keep it up and builds those muscles you need to keep it up.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor. You do not want to slow down your recovery. You are young. You have 70 years to exercise. Take it easy!! If you faint you can do more damage. Watch your calories. I am much older, harder to lose. but if I watch my calories as my doctor said I lose.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would find some way to maintain muscle strength even if you don't do cardio -- do leg lifts, arm curls, whatever you can do. You'll be a lot dizzier standing up if you let your legs get too flabby.