New-and not doing good!!

Options
Hi there,I've joined today after much debate over how to b e healthier and fitter.I've been doing weight watchers on and off for about five years and have come to the conclusion that for me,it's too restrictive.I know that must sound like an excuse,but I will explain!!I've been very unfit for quite a long time-I'm 31 and although I'm not hugely overweight,I was getting out of breath climbing stairs and walking short distances.Anyway,I've been doing the "couch to 5K" programme and am about to start on week 4.I'm also doing the 30 day shred DVD.I didn't feel that ww was a positive long term health goal,so I am just trying to eat well and exercise lots!first day today and have gone over on my recommended calories-mainly on alcohol-oops!!Hoping for a better day tomorrow!xx

Replies

• Rodgers2008
    Options
    If you go on meal plans of any kind you get bored after a while.I never tried anythign like Weight Watchers,Atkins,or Nutrisystem.I always tried logging my food and exercising to loose weight.WElcome to MFP!I wish you a successful weight loss journey!Feel free to add me if you'd like some support along the way!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome!

You've come to the right place for motivation and support - great going on the 30 day shred and the C25k programme... they're both pretty tough so don't be too hard on yourself. It will take a bit of time to get into a routine with the calorie goals etc on MFP - I've been on here a while and still figuring things out and changing things round for myself!

I couldn't handle Weight Watchers purely because you start to think of food in terms of points, rather than in actual taste and nutritional value... so I don't really like the whole ethos behind that approach. Eating more healthily and exercising more doesn't have to be a chore - MFP is great, people have fun supporting each others goals and also sharing loads of tasty recipes (check out the recipes thread, there is some fab stuff in there!).

Good on you for joining up, and feel free to add me as a friend :)

Heather
  • richelle67
    Options
    I rarely drink alcohol so that isn't what gets me over on calories!! But that is ok that you went over. Just don't let it ruin the rest of your day. You are trying to make this a long term healthy life and are allowed "treats", whether alcohol,chocolate or whatever it is we need to be happy. So just keep on making healthy choices and you will succeed!!! The support you get on here is awesome. We all have our good and bad days. No matter what, we are here for each other. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well done for joining, you've taken the first step and doing the couch 2 5k and 30 day shred is great as well. I also like a drink and find it takes me over my cals the days I drink. what are your calories set to? mine were 1200 but I found it too low and I was always hungry or grumpy so I set them to 1400 which gives me a bit extra and also when your under your calorie goal it gives you more motivation. have you been adding your excercise to your diary? as you get extra calories from that. I also try and plan my diary in the morning, when I'm working I bring my lunch/dinner into work and normally know what I'll be having so that gives you an idea of what you will have left. feel free to add me as a friend. I have a few friends and think it helps for motivation and also if your friends have open diarys it gives you menu ideas as well

good luck :)
  • WanderLaura
    Options
    This site is a great place to get the support and flexibility you may need!! Be sure to take some comments on here in stride, because some people are just hateful!! You'll quickly figure out what kind of support you are looking for and what kind of "support" to ignore! :) Have fun and GOOD LUCK!! Add me and we can motivate each other!
  • kiyawow
    kiyawow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey

Welcome to MFP... It is always hard to adaot to new things but taking each day as it comes is prbably the best way. I plan my meals in advance and then on weekends, sit and leisurely look through food recipes to find new and interesting ones to try. We are all different so I am sure we all look at different ways to do these things. Hopefully with more friends added you will find ideas nd support that motivates you to keep going and not let an off day phase you... tomorrow is a bright new day. Feel free to add me and hopefully we can all support each other:-)x
  • Matthew_Wilde
    Matthew_Wilde Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I've been on weight watchers and slimming world. What i like about this is, you can go in any shop and buy anything without having to work out points or use calculators etc. Your free to eat anything, like a naturally slim person - you just need to pick the right things. :-)
  • gfsamuels
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new-ish, too, and have lost zero pounds in almost three weeks, even though I ran for an hour a day for 3 days last week. While I haven't lost weight, I've gained awareness about my eating habits (too much salt and cholesterol, for example even though I am a vegetarian). The bottom line is, in our quick fix lipo suction culture, real changes, I mean REAL changes, which are mind, body, and soul, just simply take TIME and EFFORT! But real changes in your life and body are worthwhile and will last a lifetime! I believe the accountability that MFP demands is really healthy, and it does make us look at where our calories are coming from (read: pinot noir!). I have a "pinot baby" that I'm trying to lose, too! I'm trying Zumba today. I think "ditching the gym and joining the party" sounds like fun. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • jaceface87
    jaceface87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Being on anything that is technically a "diet plan" like WW or Atkins, just make me feel restricted simply because someone else is limiting me. It's purely a psychological thing, but maintaining my own fitness on here doesn't make me feel that way. Plus, it's a lifestyle, not a "diet" and I don't know anyone who wants to be on Weight Watchers for the rest of their lives. I say, better to teach yourself how to manage your own fitness. I used to gain weight back once I went off the said "diets" because I didn't know how to maintain my goals. That's why I love this site.

Also, as for the alcohol. what helps me is if I know I'm going out then I will set aside 500 calories for alcohol later and eat low cal foods during the day. Or if that doesn't work I will exercise an extra 20 mins so I can have "social time" calories. Stay away from beer and sugary shots like cherry bombs. I usually drink vodka and soda (not tonic) with unsweetened lime juice. very low cal and carb. The lime juice helps cover the club soda taste. :)
  • samanthaleethomas
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and your first day of logging, you came to the right place! Don't stress too much about going over on your first day because that's how you learn to control. I know what you mean about programs such as Weight Watchers. It is restrictive and a bit difficult to manage. With MFP you still eat what you want, but you're aware of what you're eating. Stay below your minimums along with your workouts and in no time you will see results. Also I suggest opening up your diary for your MFP friends to see and to get some great motivational friends on here who display their diaries as well. Showing your diary helps you stay under and seeing others diaries helps to motivate you. When I see that my friends are working out and burning hundreds of calories it makes me want to do the same. Good luck in your journey. Remember to speak positively to yourself :)