Which program should I do??

Options
Hey everyone, I have a few different workout videos/programs and I would like your opinions on which one to do. I am just starting my weight loss journey today. here is what I have

p90x
zumba
hip hop abs
ripped in 30

i found p90x was too much of a commitment for me right now being in school and my homework amount varies every day, i cant commit every day for 3 months. i could do different videos when i have time though.
please tell me your personal opinion and experiences with each of these!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Doing 30 Day Shred at the moment, and it's very effective even after just three days. No experience of the others to comment.
  • cnicolemoh
    Options
    That's something you will have to decide for yourself. Everyone is different. You have to find the exercise you enjoy, because if you do not like what you are doing, odds are you won't continue. I've lost 47lb in 10months, with walking, I love to walk, it's the only thing I will 100% commit to, I walk 5 miles a day, it only takes about an hour and 15min. I also use the elliptical and recently I have started the 30 day shred.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    goal is to lose about 50 pounds. i would like to lose it by summer but i know that might be unrealistic
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I like to very my workouts a lot. I did 30 day shred for a while, then switched to Tae Bo, did Zumba, more Jillian Michaels, more Tae Bo, etc.
    Just starting out, i would try something that has modifications, just in case. Zumba is good because you can modify the dance how you like. Jillian Michaels also gives a lot of modifications.
  • chrisvgray
    chrisvgray Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too am using 30 Day Shred and have found it both challenging and not too intimidating. Work out totals at 20 minutes with an added two minute warm-up and two minute cool down. Shred-It with Weights is a lot of fun too also totaling at 30 minutes including warm-up and cooldown! I am using a 5lb kettlebell. I just tried Ripped in 30 and have found that one to be more challenging then the other two. I hope this helps!
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a mixture of all of them? That way you don't get bored and you can find what you like. I have been working out faithfully since May 2011 and my workout buddy and I do something different every day (6 days a week...which is not necessary, but it's what we enjoy!). In a normal week we would: run 1 day, 30 Day Shred 1 day, Yoga Meltdown 1 day, 2 cardio classes at local leisure centre and zumba 1 day. Now we are at a level of fitness where we are looking to challenge ourselves more, so we are beginning the Insanity 60 Day Challenge tomorrow!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with the 30 day shred, as people seem to get really good results, and you'll see that within a month if you stick with it.

No experience of the others - I'm far, far too un co-ordinated to do Zumba though... even though I'd love to do it! I just end up getting annoyed with myself for not being able to keep up with the moves haha. I'll stick with the eliipitical and the treadmill... boring for most but I find them quite satisfying. As mentioned before, find something that you're motivated to do and the odds are you'll enjoy it, rather than feeling like you *have* to exercise and feel like it is a chore.

Happy exercising!

H
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    All of the above!
    It's good to rotate such programs and change up how we exercise to always stay one step ahead of our body's tendency to make life too easy for us.

Have Fun!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I agree that it really depends on your preference....I persnally do Zumba, Spin classes, regular treadmill/elliptical and cardio kickboxing classes.

Zumba is fun, energetic and helps you burn up those calories (as long as you let loose and put effort in, obviously, as anything else if you half @ss it you wont get the burn)

I never did the other programs so I can't give my opinion :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    goal is to lose about 50 pounds. i would like to lose it by summer but i know that might be unrealistic

Cool. At this stage, you may as well try out various programs and see which one appeals to you more. When we're first starting out, we can do pretty much anything for exercise and derive benefit.

Over time, you may find that one program appeals to you more than others. You might even find that you want to ditch the programs and just do your own thing.

Usually for best results you will want to include some sort of strength training in your routine,and make sure to eat enough. I cannot emphasize this enough. So many people get off to a bad start because they think they need to starve themselves. Doing the strength training and eating well will ensure that you don't lose too much muscle mass. The more muscle you lose, the harder it will be to lose fat, and the easier it will be to gain fat later.

So, short version - set up a moderate calorie deficit, keep active, and let your preference guide you toward what sort of training program you want to adopt as your own routine.