How do people enjoy running?

Options
Seriously, I try running and I just can't bring myself to like it. It's a big problem too because I need to train for a triathlon coming up in a few months. I absolutely love biking and swimming but I just hate running. Any tips to make myself like it more? Or just running training tips in general? I ran cross country in high school even though I hated it just to stay in shape for swim club in the summer, so I can run, but I just don't know how to make myself like it.

Replies

• zesss
    zesss Posts: 36
    Options
    I've just started C25k and I definitely don't love it, but I think I'll enjoy it more when I hit more milestones like being able to run for 4 minutes straight without absolutely dying. Maybe you could ease yourself into it with the C25k program?
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months of training to be able to run 5k and I hated every step of it.

For some odd reason, the next time I ran after my first triathlon, I suddenly liked it. That was about 2 years ago.

I ran 6 miles this morning (not a big deal these days) and had several periods of pure bliss during the run. Not every day is fun, and even on day's it's fun, there's still pain mixed in, but do you remember that scene in Forest Gump where he talked about all the things he saw? I almost always get that feeling at some point during every run, that feeling that I could just keep going, that there is no other way to experience a sunrise or a sunset, that I'm seeing things I've never seen before and wouldn't have seen if not for being out on that run (I travel a lot for work and run for workouts, so that's actually really true a lot of the time).
  • dancingincircles84
    Options
    I already can run 5K but I hate every minute of it. If I just keep on practising and training will I eventually start to like it more?
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Part of me thinks its something that grows on you. Looking back to when I started running I too hated it! I could only run a few driveways at a time..now, I've completed a 5k and incorporate running into my cardio routines 5 days a week. I do enjoy running and the feeling it gives me.

I think in time, you might come to like it..but, if you don't do what you love
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    This is a tough one. I guess just like with anything, there are probably some things you will just never like. I'm not sure how to MAKE yourself like something, especially since you seem to have a lot of running experience. If you are intent on running a triathlon, then obviously you have to run. That doesn't mean you have to enjoy it. Just focus on enjoying the swimming and biking, and except that the running aspect is just a means to an end. Find some great music to listen and zone out on, and get it over with.

I like running, but there are some days I hate it and am checking my watch every 2 minutes :)
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running. I find it freeing in a way. It relieves my stress, I feel strong and confident when I'm running and once I'm finished. If running isn't your thing, you don't have to run!! LoL. Find something you like and that works for you and your body and you will succeed with that.
  • pucenavel
    Options
    Try doing it differently. As in, don't always run the same route.

I like to go on Google maps and find routes I've not done, places I've not been, etc.

It has the "Walk" feature that will find trails and stuff, so you don't have to run on roads all the time.

What about hiking trails? One of my favorite runs this past year was in some state park in Raleigh, NC - running through the woods. As soon as the weather warms up, I'm planning on doing a run in Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs about an hour from where I live.
  • pucenavel
    Options
    Find some great music to listen and zone out on, and get it over with.

I was going to suggest that too, but most Tri's will DQ you for having headphones (USAT rules).

I have an iPod Shuffle that I train with, perfect size and format for running (the new one with actual buttons on it).

I'm not looking forward to the run leg of the 1/2 Ironman - 13.1 with no music!!
  • dancingincircles84
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately we can't listen to music when doing the tri.
    Thanks for those suggestions guys. As soon as the ice is gone on the trails in my neighbourhood I'll probably try running them. They have lots of hills too, so it's more challenging too.
    I'll just keep on working at it.
  • nwhitley
    Options
    I have the ipod shuffle also. But, the one without the buttons. It is def. the perfect size. I was thinking about upgrading to the new one, as sometimes I can't change the playlist. Trying to do this on the headphones is annoying.
    Find some great music to listen and zone out on, and get it over with.

I was going to suggest that too, but most Tri's will DQ you for having headphones (USAT rules).

I have an iPod Shuffle that I train with, perfect size and format for running (the new one with actual buttons on it).

I'm not looking forward to the run leg of the 1/2 Ironman - 13.1 with no music!!
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I hate it! Really hate it but at the same time I want to learn to love it or at least be able to run distance without feeling I'm going to drop dead any second.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm indifferent towards it...it's tough at first because every second feels so tiring and tough, but as I've built up endurance and I don't think as much and kind of just do. I ALWAYS listen to music while running, helps a lot. And when I go on the treadmill, I usually try to not look at the time for extended periods of time. Helps it move just a little more quickly.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I HATE running.

And, you know what? T here's loads of other exercises available, I don't need to run.
  • stealthycat
    Options
    Every sport that you participate in requires a different kind of fitness. You are fit for swimming, and that makes it easy for you and you like it. The same applies to biking. Since you don't like running, you likely do less of it and therefore are not as fit for that activity, making it more difficult, causing frustration, dissatisfaction and unhappiness. The enjoyment of running is a result of pushing yourself to new limits in that activity, achieving a new level of fitness for the sport, bringing you to a place that running an easy run of 5 miles or so is effortless, and therefore you are then more able to enjoy things such as the scenery, the weather, the idea that you are tough enough to do it even if the weather is not ideal, and creating memories of the outdoors that you associate with running. This is impossible if you are slugging through every run that you do because you have to. It is difficult, and you are absorbed by your misery and unable to enjoy the positives of the activity.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I took up running almost seven years ago. The first six years were utter misery...that was a full marathon and about seven half marathons. I hated every step I took, but I did it. I signed up with a new runnng group in January of last year. They make it fun and it's more of a social atmosphere. I still run when I'm not with them and somehow manage to enjoy it.

Find someone you enjoy running with. It makes it a heck of a lot easier. I'm waiting for the day when I will LOVE just lacing up my shoes and hitting the pavement on my own for some quiet time. I know that day will come...at least I'm praying it will.
  • nwhitley
    Options
    WOW!! Now that's dedication. I don't know that I could keep doing something that I disliked for 6 years. Kudos to you!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I hate running to... which is why I never do it. Last time my trainer literally had to drag me across the gym screaming and kicking because I refused to move from our spot... it was quite the sight.

I wish I had tips to make it better.. but the only thing I can do is sympathize.

Maybe try an incentive program.. if I run for x then I get y.. sounds kinda little kid-ish, but it may encourage you to run when you don't want to.
  • jds916
    jds916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like running.. but I used to hate it. I just started signing up for races. joined a running group. now I'm training for another half marathon and a half ironman... i've found the right training team. it's become more social than exercise (same team I swim and bike with) I just think of the reward... all the calories burned. I use a garmin GPS watch with a heart rate monitor. I've very data driven (sorry, I'm an engineer...) and I like to see how i go faster, or do interval heart rate training. I listen to music when I run too... that really helps. I also find that if you pretend to like it (or anything in life) the mental aspect will take over, and you will like it. Power of positive thought!
  • deepset
    deepset Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some people just straight up don't like running. I love it. What helps me get through those days when I don't want is putting on my headphones, listen to some great music and hit the pavement. Luckily I live in a city with beautiful views which helps running outside.

Do you prefer being inside or outside? I say find some great tunes and just zone out to your music and run! Of course, if you run outside be careful of cars etc! Just know you're not alone and everyone needs motvation. But if you really hate it, try to stick to things you like and maybe use running as a challenge so when you get bored with the stuff you like, you challenge yourself to do something you don't necessarily love.

I also run with a group once a week and I feel it really helps. When you run with others time flies because you end up getting distracted by being chatty...works for me!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I frequently strongly dislike the first 2-3 miles...but after that it's often like someone flips a switch and I find a groove. I wish someone would have told me that YEARS ago. I tried to take up running so many times before I figured that one out. Knowing that the first few miles usually suck gives me the incentive to keep going. I often wonder how many new runners stop after a short time, assuming that if it stinks for a mile or two that it won't get any better.