The book "Skinny B!tch"

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
I'm disappointed with Skinny ***** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. What I though was going to be an awesome motivational book with some hard truths, turned out to be a push for veganism, bad language (although that's the part I found funny in some parts, other parts, it was just rude)...and belittling. I just finished the book, and it annoyed me more than it motivated me. It's extreme popularity is over-rated and just because Posh Spice was spotted carrying it around, doesn't mean we should all be on 700 a day calorie vegan diets. Don't buy this book, it's not worth the $7.00 i paid for it, and I can never get the time back I wasted in reading it!

Replies

• lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing people talk about that book.
    Most of what I hear is it's good.
    Doesn't seem like something I'd find good from what you said.
  • abracadav3r
    Options
    I am definitely going to agree with you. I read the book prior to going vegan in 2010 and it mostly scared me badly enough to push me to try a vegan lifestyle. I lost about 40 lbs, but I was craving sugar constantly and I really missed eating foods that I didn't miss as badly when I wasn't on the vegan lifestyle. I, too, expected an uplifting book, but it tore me down more than it helped. I was quite disappointed.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I thought it would be awesome too...but it's not. they're terrible writers, terrible advice columnists...and the diet advice is disgusting...
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed with Skinny ***** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. What I though was going to be an awesome motivational book with some hard truths, turned out to be a push for veganism, bad language (although that's the part I found funny in some parts, other parts, it was just rude)...and belittling. I just finished the book, and it annoyed me more than it motivated me. It's extreme popularity is over-rated and just because Posh Spice was spotted carrying it around, doesn't mean we should all be on 700 a day calorie vegan diets. Don't buy this book, it's not worth the $7.00 i paid for it, and I can never get the time back I wasted in reading it!

I had exactly the same reaction when I bought it a couple of years ago. I gave the book to a friend who asked to borrow it; I told her to keep and she threw it away when she was moving.. lol!!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book and have no interest in defending it. But, please don't let one book turn you off from eating more plants! While you may have no interest in a vegan (or vegetarian) diet, adding more plant-based, whole foods to your meals can help you reach your goals.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh I hated it too! It should have Vegan somewhere in the title as a warning!
  • Indygirl6
    Options
    My sister (a vegan! Totally figures) raved about it. She pushed me to read it and I hated it - didn't even finish it! I thought parts were funny, but they bash anyone who happens to like the foods they find disgusting! Total waste of time and money! Agreed!
  • bjhadden
    bjhadden Posts: 120
    Options
    I read it too...the only thing it did was make me not want to drink milk ever again. The sad part...I used to drink 1-2 gallons of milk a week by myself and I haven't had one glass since reading it over a year ago. Not even to dip my oreos :( I do still have milk in items that I cook or that I buy that are made with it. I just can't drink a glass of just milk anymore.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I quite like eating vegan foods, its actually changed my health a lot although I know I won't ever be completely vegan. However, I would never buy a book with that title - I think it's wrong in so many ways...
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oh I hated it too! It should have Vegan somewhere in the title as a warning!
    [/quote

Exactly!!! I wouldn't have read it then!!!]
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Skinny ***** is one of my favorite books. I read it the summer after 7th grade and it changed my life.

They do not encourage you to eat 700 damn calories a day, they encourage you to eat healthy and in moderation and tell you all the disgusting things about animal by-products.

You dont have to go vegan, but dont bash a book just because it wasnt your cup of tea.

The only reason why I went form over 300 lbs to 260 is because of that book.

The only reason I am a healthy strong person today, is because of that book.

It thought me the skills that I am going to need to loose the next 75lbs.

Some people are okay with making minor switches to their diet, but I was extremely unhealthy and morbidly obese. (size 16 at 8 years old) and I needed to make extreme changes to my diet and being vegan gave me natural constrictions and gave me control over my diet.

Its not for everyone, but It has CHANGED LIVES, don;t discount that.

EDIT: I read it almost 5 years ago.

i am fully in my right to bash it! it's called opinion, and apparently i'm not the only one! You're entitled to your opinion as well...but seriously, you read it in grade 7...have you read it since? it was a terrible book, and i will scream it at the top of my lungs that it pushes anorexia and terribly over priced food...i'm sure they are sponsored by the organic isle in the grocery store!!!
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    My sister-in-law bought me the Skinny *kitten* book for x-mas not knowing what it was all about.

It's an easy read in the sense that i finished the entire book in one sitting during the down time at work (although some of the chapters were easier mentally to get through then others).

Extremely misleading. I basically called my sister-in-law and told her that the book's reason i am fat is because i am not a vegan. she apologized.

When i finished the book, i kinda laughed to myself. I didn't get fat because i ate meat and dairy and all of that. I got fat because i ate TOO MUCH meat and dairy, and didn't offset that with exercise.

All in all, i didn't care for this book one bit. If you are vegan...great. if you are not...then that's great too. I just felt the book went overboard on trying to pound certain key phrases and ideas into my head in hopes that i would just ultimately give up eating meat and dairy.

A friend of mine summed it up best for me with a spoof on those office inspiration posters. It was a picture of a cow going number #2. The caption underneath said, " My food craps on your food. " Still smiling over that...
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I am not bashing veganism in any way...i have limited my meat intake, and i don't do dairy in any way. but THIS BOOK IS TERRIBLE!!! lets keep on topic please, and discuss the book, not your personal eating lifestyle!
  • mrshmiller9
    Options
    Completely agree, while some info was interesting and useful- mostly I thought it was a push for veganism. I'm glad I borrowed it from my mom who bought it out of a clearance bin lol :)
    Edit: I have absolutely nothing against vegans, just didn't care for all of the book.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I haven't read the book and have no interest in defending it. But, please don't let one book turn you off from eating more plants! While you may have no interest in a vegan (or vegetarian) diet, adding more plant-based, whole foods to your meals can help you reach your goals.

i'm smarter than that...i eat very well since starting this journey.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

I felt the same way in terms of the food. Most of it requires very specialized foods that probably are hard to purchase outside of a good-sized city.

I think it should be a lot more obvious that the food is totally vegan. I did appreciate a lot of their knowledge and in-depth look at the crap that we put in our bodies, though. Not enough to be 100% vegan, but still. :)
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options

definitely

i read part of the book and was amazed also at how harsh it was and didnt finish it ....but i definitely agree with this guy ^^
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I read about 5 pages of the entire book and was so unimpressed that I couldn't push myself to read anymore. It now functions as a coaster.
  • edemonte
    Options
    It's an interesting view on the effects of eating meat and dairy. I have heard that PETA is behind the whole thing. On top of that, it's nearly impossible to eat the way they recommend.