Sleeping at Night

Options
Is anyone having trouble sleeping through the entire night? I have found that as of late, I wake up at least 3 or 4 times a night and come morning when the alarm clock goes off...I am dead to the world. I am not much of a pill taker and am looking for some natural ways to stay sleep. Am open to suggestions.

Replies

• bedgab
    bedgab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not having that problem. I'm just the opposite.
  • CrystalBonner
    CrystalBonner Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Wish I could say the same. I got some Royal Jelly from Susan. She says it should help...hasn't yet. LOL
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have this too. I tried taking a homeopathic remedy called melatonin and it has really helped. So I know you said no pills, but these are a herbal type pill as opposed to medication
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lavender scented things are supposed to help with that. So either a lotion or fabric spray might work.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    Melatonin. Source Naturals Melatonin 1mg, Orange flavor is what I use. Take 1-2mg about an hour before you go to sleep. It has done wonders for me, especially when I used to pop Tylenol PM every night to help me sleep.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Melatonin or Valerian root are good choices. They are available in pill or tea form. Republic of Tea has a good tea called "Get some Z's" that has both in it (and chamomile). If you do take the "pills" they are not medication but herbs. Still want to be careful with them and only take the recommended dose.

Good luck, hope they work for you. Melatonin has worked for me for years to help sleep and I have never had any side effects from taking it. It also does not make me groggy when I wake up.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I was trying to stick to 1200 cals. I upped mine so I'm losing a half a pound a week now and I can sleep better. It wasn't even like I was awake and a had a growling stomach.. it was more like I just couldn't stay asleep and it seemed like I never got deep sleep. Super frustrating especially since I felt like I should fall right asleep with how much I was working out!
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink Organic Nighty Nighty herbal tea made by "Traditional Medicials" you can find it at Walmart, Raleys, or even a health food store.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Running is the only "natural" sleep aid I've found that works. Swimming knocked me OUT the other day though. Maybe just because its a new addition to the routine. Otherwise- whiskey and ambien, but never together!
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem as well. I wake up more than 4 times at nights. I go to bed about 11 0'clock and Im awake by 1 o'clock and struggle to sleep for the rest of the night and I do not have a sound sleep.
    I start drinking camomile tea, sometimes it helps.

i am longing to wake up and feel fresh and rested.

U are not alone my dear.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For years I had recurring bouts of insomnia. I would have trouble getting to sleep and once I got to sleep I would wake up several times throughout the night. Ambien, Benadryl, booze, and other sleep aids always gave me weird dreams and I'd wake up exhausted. I would go six months at a time without any real sleep. I started waking up early in the morning and working out several months ago and haven't had a problem since. If I do cardio within about 3 or 4 hoists of going to bed I'll have trouble getting to sleep.
  • denise_earheart
    Options

me to in fact I could sleep 10-14 hours a night :-/
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    this might sound crazy but eat a tablespoon of unpasturized honey 1/2 hour before bed and you'll sleep amazing and wake up feeling great. it might take a couple of days before it works 100%.

I do this and my wife has also said I don't snore anymore.

God Bless
    Gerald
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I did a sleep study and found out that I woke up on average of ten to twelve times per night and occasionally even did some sleep walking. The biggest help for me is just consistency. I go to bed and wake up and the exact same time everday... even on weekends. Occasionally, when I'm particularly restless I do try melatonin.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I take melatonin when I have to change shifts at work. I have 3mg and 5mg pills. I take one about an hour before bed. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your brain that helps you sleep anyway. If I take too much it gives me weird dreams, so I suggest only taking one at a time. I only use it a few days in a row when I'm changing from nights to days, or days to night shifts at work. On regular day shifts I usually do 30-45 minutes of cardio before bed and that helps me sleep. When I get off of a night shift I have no problem going to bed when I get home.
  • Smcnie
    Smcnie Posts: 12
    Options

me to in fact I could sleep 10-14 hours a night :-/

I wake up several times through the night too, I do lots of exercise and am always so so tired I expect that I'll be dead to the world! Depending on what shift I'm on, I'll usually try and be in bed by 2230ish - but often find after an hour or two I'm awake again then off and on all night :-/

If I'm not working the next day, I'll doze on and off for up to 12 hours then get mad at myself for wasting half the day - but still feel soooo knackered :-( tis rubbish
  • kolyn75
    kolyn75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try praying ..... God may be trying to get your attention... worked for me....I got that advise from a friend.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Melatonin! Your body produces it naturally anyway and aids in sleep. I saw a thread on here about melatonin about 2 weeks ago and decided to buy the 3mg tablets at wal-mart (on the vitamin and herb isle). They do work well, and my boyfriend is in LOVE! Apparently he would toss and turn so much at night, his back would hurt the next morning, and he never slept through the entire night. Now, he takes one every night about 30 minutes before bed time, and he is out until morning - back doesn't hurt anymore, and he feels rested for a change.