High heart rate

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The longer you exercise, the lower your heart rate should be while exercising. In a few weeks you should find that doing the same exercise should be lower than when you first started, and you'll have to work harder to raise it. Not to mention you'll begin to recover quicker.

That being said, if you don't see a change, go see a doctor.

This isn't really true. The fitter you are, the faster your heart rate will recover after exercise. My HR while running has right from the start been about 168 average up to 175 max, but now it drops down to 140 within a minute of me stopping, and is back to normal in about 5 minutes, whereas it used to take much longer.

I disagree. My cardiologist told me the fitter I get (longer period I make exercerice a consistent part of my daily routine) the lower my heart rate should be and that is exactly what I find happens. I do also recover faster but my overall heart rate won't get as high. I see it even over the course of a week doing the same workout each day.

The mechanism that is working for you is not the same as what the first commenter described. His remarks were incorrect in the context in which they were given (i.e. a "normal" person). In your case, where you have a clinical condition, the effects would be different, and as you describe.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The longer you exercise, the lower your heart rate should be while exercising. In a few weeks you should find that doing the same exercise should be lower than when you first started, and you'll have to work harder to raise it. Not to mention you'll begin to recover quicker.

That being said, if you don't see a change, go see a doctor.

This isn't really true. The fitter you are, the faster your heart rate will recover after exercise. My HR while running has right from the start been about 168 average up to 175 max, but now it drops down to 140 within a minute of me stopping, and is back to normal in about 5 minutes, whereas it used to take much longer.

I disagree. My cardiologist told me the fitter I get (longer period I make exercerice a consistent part of my daily routine) the lower my heart rate should be and that is exactly what I find happens. I do also recover faster but my overall heart rate won't get as high. I see it even over the course of a week doing the same workout each day.

The fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate should be, but fitter people tend to have higher maximum heart rates. It isn't true that the fitter you are the lower your heart rate DURING exercise will be, it may even go up. It's about recovery rate and resting HR.

Well, maybe I am just strange then... ;) But, I absolutely do see that the fitter I am getting the lower my heart rate gets during exercise.

I am going to repeat that, if you have a clinical condition, then your response to exercise training could be different that what would occur in someone without the condition.

So the effect that you are seeing is real (and that's a positive thing if it allows you to stop taking beta blockers--let's not lose sight of that). It is, however, not the typical response one sees with exercise training (expected, since your physiology wasn't "typical" to begin with).

The other commenters are also making the mistake of trying to generalize the "normal" heart rate response to training to your situation.

It may very well be that others who have your condition (such as the OP) might see the same beneficial response as you.

When making "recommendations" in cases such as this, it is important to compare apples to apples.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I had heard of POTS and it seemed to fit all my symptoms well, but when I mentioned it to my Dr she said she had never heard of it. I know Doctors hate patients who look stuff up on the internet.

Maybe so, but sometimes you know yourself best of all, and you need to be your own advocate. If your symptoms are troublesome to you and the other tests come back normal, I'd ask for a tilt-table test, or find a doctor that either does them or at least has some knowledge of POTS.

Especially since if it is POTS, your symptoms might actually get worse if your blood pressure decreases as a result of your improved health and fitness.

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which often goes hand-in-hand with POTS, and the only good thing about being overweight is that my blood pressure increased slightly, which decreased some of the POTS symptoms :P
  • emawalton
    Options
    Wow what a surprise to see so many people with the same condition! And also a relief to know that I'm not alone :) I went to the doctor this past summer because I started having a rapid heartrate and palpitations. She gave me an EKG and ran blood tests and found everything to be normal. She diagnosed it as tacycardia also. I think much of mine is stress/anxiety induced. The palpitations were really bothering me (probably causing the anxiety!!) so she gave me a beta-blocker to use as needed. I could tell a difference when using them. I haven't had much issue with it lately though so I haven't used them. It seems to come and go. I will notice times that my heart seems to just beat harder (although not necessarily faster) and it can be distracting. My doc also offered to do stress tests and an echocardiogram (?) to make sure there is nothing actually wrong with my heart. Because the palpitations have decreased, I have held off on that for now but will consider it if the problem becomes worse or seems to bother me on a more regular basis.

I'm just now getting back into a somewhat regular exercise routine (just within the last 2-3 weeks) so I'll be interested to see if this causes the problem to go away for the most part.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Your heart is a muscle. Work it and it will become more efficient.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Your heart is a muscle. Work it and it will become more efficient.

Very true. However, that being said, it is the one muscle you DON'T want to work to failure.