If it didn't come from the Earth

Options
If you're personal goal is to loss weight and to keep the weight off, its best to learn to change those bad habits.

Pizza for example, not very nutritional and doesn't do much to fuel your body for exercise or daily activity. Try alternatives to pizza could be a wheat chicken wrap with lettuce and tomato.

Remember that everything must be done in moderation and that CLEAN eating is very important, the clean eating concept stems from "what is nutritional or fuel" for my body, when you add perservatives and junk to that food source the nutritional aspect of what you are eating is gone.

Also to get rid of fat you have to build muscle and to build muscle you have to fuel your body with nutrients.

I hope i'm not overwhelming you, but I just want to help you realize that JUNK is really what it spells.. JUNK!

Just remember, "if you can't figure out where your food came from, meaning the ground (earth), then it probably wasn't meant to go in your mouth"

Hope this all makes sense! Good luck with your life changes and keep working at it. It takes time to make changes and you have to start with baby steps
[/quote]

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    hear hear:drinker: :drinker:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    It's very true! While I can't say I am a clean eater 100%, I do look at food as fuel and know that certain foods (Mostly the clean items) are what keep it satisfied for longer periods of time. And fact is, satisfaction = sticking to this! :wink:

When you start paying attention to how your body responds to food, it becomes very easy to eat the stuff that is making you feel GREAT!!

:flowerforyou:
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack your thread or crap all over your ideas, but if you do a little searching around the forums you'll see that this topic has been done to death.

Don't get me wrong...I totally see where you're coming from but I don't really see what the point of a post like this is. How a person chooses to lose weight is totally up to each individual.

If you want to only eat vegetables that are grown organically within 100kms of your home, beef that's steroid & preservative-free and poultry that's allowed to roam free and gets hand-fed grain grown on the top of Mount Kilamanjaro, then that's your choice.

On the flip-side, if you decide you want to eat food that's labelled as "fat-free", drink diet-pop that's loaded with Aspartame or eat "Skinny Cow" products that are full of chemicals and preservatives, that's also your choice!

The real point is that all of us are here because we decided we needed a change, whatever the reason.

Can't we all just get along :happy:

Jeff @ YEG
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack your thread or crap all over your ideas, but if you do a little searching around the forums you'll see that this topic has been done to death.

Don't get me wrong...I totally see where you're coming from but I don't really see what the point of a post like this is. How a person chooses to lose weight is totally up to each individual.

If you want to only eat vegetables that are grown organically within 100kms of your home, beef that's steroid & preservative-free and poultry that's allowed to roam free and gets hand-fed grain grown on the top of Mount Kilamanjaro, then that's your choice.

On the flip-side, if you decide you want to eat food that's labelled as "fat-free", drink diet-pop that's loaded with Aspartame or eat "Skinny Cow" products that are full of chemicals and preservatives, that's also your choice!

The real point is that all of us are here because we decided we needed a change, whatever the reason.

Can't we all just get along :happy:

Jeff @ YEG

I don't know the OP at all, but the way that I read her post was that she was just trying to be helpful. A lot of people come here who are trying to lose weight, but then eat 1200 empty calories every day. They wonder why they are starving and frustrated. Eventually, they may very well end up gaining any lost weight back b/c they haven't trained their bodies to eat healthy foods. I am saying this out of experience as well. Nutrition is always a better choice.
  • jeffwyeg
    Options
    I don't know the OP at all, but the way that I read her post was that she was just trying to be helpful. A lot of people come here who are trying to lose weight, but then eat 1200 empty calories every day. They wonder why they are starving and frustrated. Eventually, they may very well end up gaining any lost weight back b/c they haven't trained their bodies to eat healthy foods. I am saying this out of experience as well. Nutrition is always a better choice.

I could've been misreading it (it's soooo hard to tell a person's "tone" is when posting in a forum) but there have been so many posts about "clean eating" on here that they're all starting to look/sound the same to me...ha ha!

I totally agree with you on the whole "healthy eating" thing...I know a lot of people personally who complain about not being able to lose weight and when you ask them what they're eating, you find out that they're eating their calories by filling up on chips, chocolate, coffee, cookies, etc.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that we're all individuals ("I'm not"...sorry - Monty Python reference...ha ha!) and what works for one person might not necessarily work for another person.

That's all :smile:

Jeff @ YEG
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Honestly....I don't think we can talk enough about clean eating...its like changing a mind set. I'm not great at it everyday, but it really does change your relationship to food if you think more about what you're eating.

clean eating isn't that difficult really, and is always good to have a reminder...so thanks :)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly....I don't think we can talk enough about clean eating...its like changing a mind set. I'm not great at it everyday, but it really does change your relationship to food if you think more about what you're eating.

clean eating isn't that difficult really, and is always good to have a reminder...so thanks :)

I totally agree with staclo and chellebelle, we can NEVER get enough reminders about clean eating.
    I have my "cheat" days, but, thanks to MFP and all the wonderful threads from helpful members, I get right back on track! :smile:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just have to throw in my 2 cents here, I don't think there is anything really wrong with the original post, it was intented to be helpfull, but I don't disagree with jeffwyeg either. It irks me when people say this food is 'clean' eat it, this one isin't so don't. It, to me, is a continuation of the dietary 'bad guy' of the month club. Fat is bad, no wait, protein is bad, no wait, carbs are bad, no wait, sugar is bad, no wait.....Pizza can be a very nutritious food.. I make my own crust, use part skim cheese, homemade marinara sauce with turkey sausage and plenty of veggies - and feed it to my family regularly. Just like a cheeseburger or ice cream or other 'bad foods' can be incorporated. I just wish we could get past the notion of good and bad foods, and realize its our relationship with food that is usually in need of a change, not the food itself.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just have to throw in my 2 cents here, I don't think there is anything really wrong with the original post, it was intented to be helpfull, but I don't disagree with jeffwyeg either. It irks me when people say this food is 'clean' eat it, this one isin't so don't. It, to me, is a continuation of the dietary 'bad guy' of the month club. Fat is bad, no wait, protein is bad, no wait, carbs are bad, no wait, sugar is bad, no wait.....Pizza can be a very nutritious food.. I make my own crust, use part skim cheese, homemade marinara sauce with turkey sausage and plenty of veggies - and feed it to my family regularly. Just like a cheeseburger or ice cream or other 'bad foods' can be incorporated. I just wish we could get past the notion of good and bad foods, and realize its our relationship with food that is usually in need of a change, not the food itself.

I agree. I'm a huge proponent of moderation in everything. Pizza can be healthy and nutritional. Plus it can be a lot of fun. I honestly don't see how a chicken wrap is any more nutritional than white pizza with feta and spinach. But even if I decide to have a huge slice of a supreme pizza, it won't sabotage my entire diet. I make my own burgers occasionally. they are very satisfying and I've stayed within my caloric goals. I enjoy diet soda's so I have a few every now and then and when time is pressing I'll eat a microwave dinner. I don't believe there is any bad food but I do choose to avoid some the majority of the time. For example: when I make that burger I use a whole grain bun, not a white hamburger bun. But even that isn't a hard-and-fast rule.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to live their lives how they see fit. For those die hard "clean eaters", I respect your dedication and committment and I often learn a lot from your posts that I choose to incorporate into my routine. I don't choose to follow the philosophy 100% and, since I've been relatively successful in my goals, I don't think it has hurt me.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you're personal goal is to loss weight and to keep the weight off, its best to learn to change those bad habits.

Pizza for example, not very nutritional and doesn't do much to fuel your body for exercise or daily activity. Try alternatives to pizza could be a wheat chicken wrap with lettuce and tomato.

Remember that everything must be done in moderation and that CLEAN eating is very important, the clean eating concept stems from "what is nutritional or fuel" for my body, when you add perservatives and junk to that food source the nutritional aspect of what you are eating is gone.

Also to get rid of fat you have to build muscle and to build muscle you have to fuel your body with nutrients.

I hope i'm not overwhelming you, but I just want to help you realize that JUNK is really what it spells.. JUNK!

Just remember, "if you can't figure out where your food came from, meaning the ground (earth), then it probably wasn't meant to go in your mouth"

Hope this all makes sense! Good luck with your life changes and keep working at it. It takes time to make changes and you have to start with baby steps
    [/quote]

i love clean food. i really do. but society has been driven to a point where it makes it difficult for many to eat clean. it can be expensive, especially for those living in poverty. preservatives keep things running, and it doesn't mean that nutritional value is gone. as crappy as a lot of food is for you, there are still nutrients lurking.

moderation is important.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

i love clean food. i really do. but society has been driven to a point where it makes it difficult for many to eat clean. it can be expensive, especially for those living in poverty. preservatives keep things running, and it doesn't mean that nutritional value is gone. as crappy as a lot of food is for you, there are still nutrients lurking.

moderation is important.

Chemicals, hormones added to meat, antibiotics added to meat, preservatives...............plus the push for the low calorie and low fat mantra is what has caused this obesity epidemic and diabetes epidemic.........

I would rather spend extra money on food and solid nutrition than to eat processed foods that are fortified (that means that it was stripped of nutritional value and re-added).

I am sorry but frozen foods are not healthy and someone that eats foods such as those need to detox on a regular basis so they don't end up with a toxic liver, adrenal weakness and no or very low thyroid function..........

Ask me how I know, I am going through this right now. Processed anything will never touch my lips again - my health is worth that much.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I agree

every topic here has been done before and will be done again

eating crap and junk is reinforced, justified and advocated as equally if not more than eating clean.....why its done on a fitness site is just the way it is

it is really hard to argue against the fact that clean eating is a better choice....sure...it is not for everyone but it can be ....

if the mind set that avoiding the crap is depriving ourselves.....that is marketing and old habits that convince us we are being deprived if we dont have an occasional bowl of crap...who is being deprived? not our bodies....our body wants good clean fuel....it has no use for man made junk that just happens to be low fat and low calorie....

if the topic doesnt appeal to you...dont read it...but telling someone to quit posting about clean eating because its been done before isnt fair

look at all the threads about low calorie cakes and fat free deserts....there are more of those than the ones on clean eating.....

pick the best for you and leave the rest
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I agree

every topic here has been done before and will be done again

eating crap and junk is reinforced, justified and advocated as equally if not more than eating clean.....why its done on a fitness site is just the way it is

it is really hard to argue against the fact that clean eating is a better choice....sure...it is not for everyone but it can be ....

if the mind set that avoiding the crap is depriving ourselves.....that is marketing and old habits that convince us we are being deprived if we dont have an occasional bowl of crap...who is being deprived? not our bodies....our body wants good clean fuel....it has no use for man made junk that just happens to be low fat and low calorie....

if the topic doesnt appeal to you...dont read it...but telling someone to quit posting about clean eating because its been done before isnt fair

look at all the threads about low calorie cakes and fat free deserts....there are more of those than the ones on clean eating.....

pick the best for you and leave the rest

Very well said Dave198lbs!!!!

Now answer my message. :bigsmile:
  • jeffwyeg
    Options
    Chemicals, hormones added to meat, antibiotics added to meat, preservatives...............plus the push for the low calorie and low fat mantra is what has caused this obesity epidemic and diabetes epidemic.........

I would tend to disagree with you on the "low calorie and low fat mantra" causing the obesity & diabetes epidemic. First off, I don't think that obesity is an "epidemic"...I mean, seriously it's not a disease (although certain groups would have you believe that). It's my belief that obesity is a "choice" (so to speak). Whenever you eat something that's not healthy, you're making a conscious choice to eat it. To blame marketing, advertising, big business, Al-Qaeda, etc is ridiculous and irresponsible. All a person has to do is make a choice to change their life...anyone can do it. As for the great diabetes epidemic, I believe that this is also a result of the dietary CHOICES people are making.
    I am sorry but frozen foods are not healthy and someone that eats foods such as those need to detox on a regular basis so they don't end up with a toxic liver, adrenal weakness and no or very low thyroid function..........

Ask me how I know, I am going through this right now. Processed anything will never touch my lips again - my health is worth that much.

I eat frozen foods & pre-prepared meals and I'm fine. My liver is healthy, my adrenal glands are fine and my thyroid is a-okay (this as per my doctor from a recent physical).

The fact is, I've lost 33 pounds since the beginning of February...I'm half-way to my goal...what I'm doing is working for ME! What I'm doing probably won't work for you...or you or you or you! Again, we're ALL INDIVIDUALS! I'm feeling great, I'm healthier than I've been in over 10 years and I look fantastic!

I agree with you on that point too Dave...you're absolutely right! The problem is that every time I read one of these posts on "clean eating" it sounds (at least to me anyways) like people who don't choose that route are being talked down to and chastised for making the choices they've made.

Am I alone on that?

Jeff @ YEG
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    A bit OT from the OP but-

In regards to this- (don't know how to quote yet)

""The problem is that every time I read one of these posts on "clean eating" it sounds (at least to me anyways) like people who don't choose that route are being talked down to and chastised for making the choices they've made. ""

I think that's an inherent problem of the internet. When we read what other's have said on message boards we feel that they are talking 'to us'. When in reality they are just talking to an 'unknown identity' of space and people.

I try to read posts more like journal entries, where someone would be talking in general and not in a specific 'at someone' way. It helps me take that step back and reflect.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Am I alone on that?

Jeff @ YEG

You aren't BUT, it's mostly because of the tonality of the interweb:tongue:

I've had the benefit of just shy of 2 years on MFP (even though my avatar says less then one, I was Banks1850 before, long story) and have seen lots of this type of miscommunication.

I don't think anyone on here is trying to make others feel bad, it just kind of comes out that way online. On the other hand, people should be aware that sarcasm, joking, and playful behavior is difficult to express on a post, so the people writing should think twice before they hit "post reply". I.E. read it as if it WASN'T you who wrote it, and you were of the opposite mindset.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options

I agree with you on that point too Dave...you're absolutely right! The problem is that every time I read one of these posts on "clean eating" it sounds (at least to me anyways) like people who don't choose that route are being talked down to and chastised for making the choices they've made.

Am I alone on that?

Jeff @ YEG

No, you are not!

Banks put it very well. Blanket statements definitely *feel* condemning when they come through the Internet.
    I absolutely *feel* like I'm being told I am a bad person if I eat chemicals, processed food,etc. instead of 100% organic all the time.
    But guess what???
    What I eat has nothing to do with my moral character and trust me...I don't eat *clean* according to the original post, nor do I use organic, non-toxic household and beauty products...yet!. :tongue:
    I am actively working towards healthier and more natural choices for myself and my family, but it won't make me anymore morally upright! :wink:
    I DO CHOOSE to believe that when people share tips like the original post they are doing so with the best of intentions and purest of motives with a true desire to help others.
    So, thank you for taking the time to share what has worked (obviously from the photo!! :happy: ) very well for you! :flowerforyou:

Becky...a work in progress!!! :bigsmile:
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I would tend to disagree with you on the "low calorie and low fat mantra" causing the obesity & diabetes epidemic. First off, I don't think that obesity is an "epidemic"...I mean, seriously it's not a disease (although certain groups would have you believe that). It's my belief that obesity is a "choice" (so to speak). Whenever you eat something that's not healthy, you're making a conscious choice to eat it. To blame marketing, advertising, big business, Al-Qaeda, etc is ridiculous and irresponsible. All a person has to do is make a choice to change their life...anyone can do it. As for the great diabetes epidemic, I believe that this is also a result of the dietary CHOICES people are making.

I eat frozen foods & pre-prepared meals and I'm fine. My liver is healthy, my adrenal glands are fine and my thyroid is a-okay (this as per my doctor from a recent physical).

The fact is, I've lost 33 pounds since the beginning of February...I'm half-way to my goal...what I'm doing is working for ME! What I'm doing probably won't work for you...or you or you or you! Again, we're ALL INDIVIDUALS! I'm feeling great, I'm healthier than I've been in over 10 years and I look fantastic!

Am I alone on that?

Jeff @ YEG

I am sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree.........

Obesity is not a choice............I did not become obese from over eating. I became obese from medical issues that have spiraled out of control and no doctors doing the right tests............

I have doctors telling me to stick to a 1000 low calorie and low fat diet and exercise..........I did that and gained another 20 pounds............

There are millions of people out here just like me - they did not choose to become fat. And yes, I could go on and on and give plenty of references to support my position, but I don' t have time as I am at work.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I DO CHOOSE to believe that when people share tips like the original post they are doing so with the best of intentions and purest of motives with a true desire to help others.
    So, thank you for taking the time to share what has worked (obviously from the photo!! :happy: ) very well for you! :flowerforyou:

Becky...a work in progress!!! :bigsmile:

That's right, Becky, and I choose to believe that too, especially when someone points out how a "diet" food might not be the best choice for feeding yourself. It's done out of concern. Truly it is. :flowerforyou: