re-setting a stalled metabolism

Options
Hi, all! I am transitioning from many years of low-calorie dieting (counting cals or WW, etc). I was at or below 1400/daily, with a splurge meal or two, for a very long time. I lost 25lbs this way, but some has crept back. I lift hard 4x/week, teach spinning classes 3x/week, and am a runner, usually logging 2-3 runs a week, one of which being a long run between 90 mins and 3 hours. After my mom passed away in June, I gained some weight back and it will not come off.

I'm now working w/ a nutritionist, who is doing a good job of hammering into my head that I really DO need to eat more if I want to lose the last 10-15lbs. It's been tough for me to start eating so much more (I'm at around 1800 a day right now, but she told me I really may need to be at as high as 2200!!! TO LOSE!). I have my macros at 40/30/30, aside from 1-2 splurge meals weekly, for which I don't really focus on ratios.

Anyway, my real question is this: How long does it typically take for the body to finally realize that, yes, it is getting sufficient nourishment to fuel its workouts, and start letting go of fat and building lean muscle? I don't want to say I'm impatient, exactly... Ok, maybe a little. I just have my wedding coming up in August and I hope to look at least moderately more toned and thinner than I do now!

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've mostly got a hold on this situation yourself. I stalled out for about a month from eating way too few calories. Once I started eating them back, I lost 4 pounds in like, 5 days? That was kind of the jump start and it's been a process, but I'm on an overall downward trend. Just make sure if you're eating that much that you're exercising! And of course, eat the calories back, as I'm sure your nutritionist would agree. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Patience is all you need. Keep doing what you're doing. You're on a great road to your goal.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Well to build muscle you are going to need a surplus of calories, since you cannot build something out of nothing.
    Last 10-15 is tough. I'm working on mine now and my TDEE on a rest day is 2250 calories. Keep eating those calories and give it some time and the fat will start slowly coming off
  • RuthlessB
    RuthlessB Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! My husband and I used to be on the HcG diet and........their suggestion to resetting the metabolism was...eating a high protein meal....like steak.....NO CARBS....worth a try! Good Luck with whatever you try and........post at a later time when YOU find out what works....Thanx and Have a MOST Blessed weekend!!!...........:bigsmile:
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would love to know this as well. I'm trying to increase my cals (I've been only reaching aout 700 to 1300 for the last six months and I need to increase my metabolism (because right now I gain if I have 1200 or more). It's so inspiring to see people with success stories about losing weight after increasing calories.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm in the same boat as you. I have lost 111 pounds my first year on MFP and the last 10 to 15 are being so very stubborn. I am now eating a LOT more than I used to, zigzagging the calories and doing some carb cycling. I gradually increased the calories so I wouldn't gain. I am now between 1800 and 2200 a day and the weight is starting to move downward again. I workout at the gym most days a week for an hour and I was just not eating enough and stalled myself out.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time until August. With marathon type workouts its not really surprising that your body is holding onto the much needed fat stores (for marathon calories). Your body needs to trust that it is going to have the calories it needs when it needs them. I don't believe it will even take a month to reset and then you will have nearly six months to lose the rest. Experiment, you have time. I hope your wedding is wonderful!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Trust. You have to trust. Listen to the nutritionist. At least try it that way.

You look great already. The wedding will be beautiful, whether or not you lose 10 more pounds.

Take it easy on yourself. Life is what happens while you're waiting for the wedding.