exercise calories

Options
If I put in running at 9mph which is how fast I go on the elliptical it comes out to 344 calories for 20 min - if I put in 20 min on the elliptical it comes out to 207 calories - which one is right?

Does anyone know?

Replies

• dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get a heart rate monitor and use those results. Depending on your weight the actual calories could be more that both of those numbers.
    I love my HRM. Most of them are suppose to be pretty accurate.
    Keep up the good work.
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always use what my elliptical says. I am interested in getting a Heart Rate Monitor though, just to be sure.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am also interested to see the true answer to this problem - machines say considerably less than MFP does. I think MFP is very generous with its calories burned. I think I'm going to start eating about 50-75% of exercise calories back instead of all of them.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I am also interested to see the true answer to this problem - machines say considerably less than MFP does.

Sometimes I have the opposite problem..

Before I had a HRM, I always went with the lower number.

There's no way to know what is the right number without some kid of measure of how hard you are working. 9mph on elliptical would probably kill me, but some ppl might think it is too slow for them.