Too much protein?!?

Options
I'm always staying under my calories, and I know one day, I ate way more meat that I really should have, but even when I think I'm being really good, I look at my dairy and I'm always going over!! And I don't mean by a couple! WTF?

Replies

• Reignfyre
    Reignfyre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My trainer would say it is impossible to go over with protein! LOL! But eating too much meat can be bad (for you arteries and its fatty). How about some lean protein? Greek yogurt (non-fat) is seriously good for you, lots of protein and good probiotics. Get it without all the sugar. Fage yogurt 0% has a great texture and if you put truvia in it it is as sweet as ice cream with none of the guilt and 18 grams of protein baby for 6 oz. It is relatively inexpensive at BJ's. Also beans are good for you. Rinse the farts out (if canned) and if you eat often enough your body will become used to it and not be so flatulent. Nuts are great healthy protein if you eat them raw and unsalted. Cashews raw and unsalted are sweet and like butter. I buy in bulk at the health food store. 1/4 c a day max (as midday snack) or some peanut butter (with no sugar) daily is a must for the healthy fat (that is what your brain operates on). Use your brain and you burn more calories. If you look at food as medicine and how it can keep you healthy you will see it differently. Also tofu is excellent protein as are egg whites. I prefer to get 100 grams of protein a day to 120. You burn more calories digesting protein and it keeps you full. Trick is you must eat it in little amounts all day long because your body can only process so much at a time. So 1 serving of protein every 3-4 hours. Although with yogurt I can't help myself and sometimes do two.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Me too!! And it's not even red meat! wTF!
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will chime in with more detailed responses but...no! MFP sets your protein goals at like 10% which is absurd..you need protein to build lean muscle mass. Protein has been shown to boost metabolism. Only 70% of protein can actually be stored/used as energy because our body has to convert it to that energy.

You can really only eat too much protein if you are deficient in dietary fat (0-20%) and seriously deficient in carbs (0-10%)...as long as you are getting sufficient amounts of those two, you are fine. The body breaks down extra protein as either glucose if you really need it, but mostly as urea (pee, lol). I have mine set as 30% fat, 35% carbs, 35% protein.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Protein is your friend, eat away!
  • angellew918
    angellew918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will chime in with more detailed responses but...no! MFP sets your protein goals at like 10% which is absurd..you need protein to build lean muscle mass. Protein has been shown to boost metabolism. Only 70% of protein can actually be stored/used as energy because our body has to convert it to that energy.

You can really only eat too much protein if you are deficient in dietary fat (0-20%) and seriously deficient in carbs (0-10%)...as long as you are getting sufficient amounts of those two, you are fine. The body breaks down extra protein as either glucose if you really need it, but mostly as urea (pee, lol). I have mine set as 30% fat, 35% carbs, 35% protein.

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for! I'm not eating a lot of red meat... it mostly fish, chicken, always lean, with yogurt and other sources, but I was getting concerned with ALWAYS looking at the bottom on my daily diary and seeing RED!!!

Thanks again!