Understanding BMR and calorie deficit, question.

I calculated my BMR and it's 1,597, MFP set me at 1510 to lose a pound a week, but I've been eating 1000 net calories nearly consistently and have only been seeing a 1lb weight loss every week.

I'm supposed to start with 1597 and subtract 500 to lose 1lb per week correct?

I'm trying to find the magic formula that makes this easier for me.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• it is supposed to be that 3500 cals equal 1lb..but our bodies are tricky. If you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to fat....I know when I did ww they always emphasized to eat all your points..that eating less was actually worse and they were right...I wish I could help you more but I think different things work for different people
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I calculated my BMR and it's 1,597, MFP set me at 1510 to lose a pound a week, but I've been eating 1000 net calories nearly consistently and have only been seeing a 1lb weight loss every week.

I'm supposed to start with 1597 and subtract 500 to lose 1lb per week correct?

I'm trying to find the magic formula that makes this easier for me.

Thanks for your help.
    1597 is the amount of calories your body needs if you did NOTHING but sit on a couch all day. So if you walk, work, move around and exercise that number goes up.
    1597 is your BMR. Just taking a guess, I'll add 350 calories on top for some sedentary movement (walking to the kitchen, bathroom, etc.) Now your calorie total is 1947. Add 30 minutes of exercise at 250 calories, and now your calorie intake should be 2197. Subtract 500 (for a pound a week loss) and 1997 should be your target calories if this is how your day is. If you don't exercise then your calorie intake would be 1697.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition