Tips for eating out

Options
I am on the go a lot and have to eat out a lot. Any tips on places, national chains or Arkansas places, menus and etc. I have found a few things at some of the fast food chains that I like that allow me to keep my calories down but stay on the go.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am on the go a lot and have to eat out a lot. Any tips on places, national chains or Arkansas places, menus and etc. I have found a few things at some of the fast food chains that I like that allow me to keep my calories down but stay on the go.
    Best tip if you eat out..................................exercise off the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fried starch!

It's not that hard.. Stick to lean cuts of meats. Sirloin is a person fav of mine, but can be expensive to eat often. Any grilled green veggies are good. I usually like to load up on steamed broccoli. Also, a lot of fast food chains are carrying baked potatoes. They're great to eat if you can stand to eat them with minimal or no added stuff. I can eat them plain all day long with just a dash of salt and pepper.

Research before you go to eat so you don't make a bad choice.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my favorite for eating out is Applebee's :) I get the asiago peppercorn steak dinner with veggies and it's 380 cals. eating out usually throws my sodium way over, but it's not every day.

a lot of restaurants have low calorie options (Applebee's has an "under 550" section), but I find it easiest to scope out the online nutritional menus and decide what I'm going to eat before I go. personally, I avoid chilis, islands, Denny's, and most Mexican food places - its hard to find something I'd eat (I'm picky) that's low in calories. I can't do 900+ for a meal!
  • rzrbckmaniac
    Options
    I tried the Applebees new steak and shrimp the other day and it was good. My problem is I don't always have time or the chance to research a place where I go.Also how does everyone handle putting in food from those smaller or local places that are not in my fitness pal.
  • riiah86
    riiah86 Posts: 35
    Options
    you might want to try the book eat this not that the 2012 edition is out now :)
  • ysherry
    ysherry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Denney's now has more fit and lite options that are good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tried the Applebees new steak and shrimp the other day and it was good. My problem is I don't always have time or the chance to research a place where I go.Also how does everyone handle putting in food from those smaller or local places that are not in my fitness pal.

I'm from arkansas and I don't think there is much of anything healthy here lol. Just try to stay away from anything fried. Go with bakes, grilled, boiled! Also I try to find something similar in the database when I eat at a mom and pop joint and the exact thing isn't in the MFP system!
  • Leah_Vaughn
    Leah_Vaughn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am from Waco, TX so i have lots of issues logging stuff from local restaurants - basically just figure out what it is and then pick a comparable meal from somewhere else. Lots of places will give you some nutrition information if you ask (many do so to cater to those with allergies and whatnot)
    or just list the basic foods of each element and add them up ;D

My strategy for eating out is this:
    I look up menu's online ahead of time for my like....top 10 favorite fast food places, then i pick a few menu items i would like and write them down, then i keep that paper in my Jeep console or the visor shield! :) That way you know what you are getting into when you arrive- plus most provide nutrition info online that is very detailed (I am trying to cut sodium down).

Also, i eat out a lot so if you need any other tips or someone to moan about fast food with- i am your gal
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    El Parian or La Heurta for the Arkansas tip. Get the chicken fajitas, skip the fixings and the tortillas and chips but go ahead and add a couple a teaspoons of salsa to the skillet for about 400 calories. There is always Subway but I never eat there. Everything is contaminated with gluten. I always bring my lunch in my son's Cars lunchbox and snacks. I hope this helps.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Denny's and Applebee's are good options. Almost all fast food is a loser (Subway is okay). Try browsing online menus and checking nutrition whenever you are online and noting good options. You will learn what to avoid ( i.e. Macaroni grill) and who has options like Applebee's

10624035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rzrbckmaniac
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I am sure I will be using all of them at some point.
  • tashaeastland
    tashaeastland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If i eat out i am starting to ask for a to go box with me meal before i eat that way i put half of it away and out of my eye site .... i try to also always order a water not a soda
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Research before hand on the restaurant website and go ahead and build your meal on paper (or in MFP) and have the order ready. This way you aren't tempted to order any extras when you get there. Most chains have nutritional info on their websites.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I keep a list of what I deem "acceptable foods" for a variety of restaurants that way if the decision to go out is a last minute one, I can decline the menu and just order what I wish.

I have found many restauarants are completely okay with ordering from the senior menu - I avoid the children's menus because it is usually processed crap. Most places will also let you order "ala carte" such as ordering a plain grilled chicken breast or salmon steak, an order of steamed veggies, and a plain baked potato or salad. Sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes less.

Most places allow you to customize your choice from the menu too...ie - no sauce, no butter, no starch/sub more veggies...restaurants are under fire more and more about healthy alternatives so rarely put up a fight.

Keep in mind that special requests takes extra work on the server's part, so tip accordingly.
  • gatecityradio
    Options

My co-workers and I love to look at food online while we work ahaha, so I use that time to gather nutritional info and build my meal for the next day. I've learned that dieting is easier if you plan ahead. Most larger chains have print outs of the nutritional info (I think it may be required by law in some places) so if you don't have the time to plan ahead just ask for one. I eat at subway, Jasons deli, taco bell and other places, but the key thing is to know what you are getting beforehand so you do go over on your calories. I try to avoid places I can't get nutritional info from, but if I have to go someplace like that I will try to wing it using the database on here and exercise harder that day just to be safe.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I look at the appetizers and see if there's something I can fit into my macros for the day if I order that for my meal. Try to stay away from bread basket if that's usually a trigger issue for you. It is for me. If Salsa is available then I eat a lot of it like at a Mexican restaurant. Fills me up. Always look for a piece of chicken, fish, beef or lean protein because it will fill you up and keep you satisfied for hours. Enjoy your meal :)