Fitbit, body bugg or similar product

Options
So I see Nike is com ing out with a product similar to the fitbit, bodybugg, body media. It is called the fuel band, looks like a bracelet and shows a digital dispaly, you can sync with Iphone or on computer. I am really thinking of getting one when they are released, looks like it will be $150. I am wondering how people like using these types of products, are they helpful in your weight loss journey, or is it just hype and a waste of $$$

Replies

• Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear what people think also!

Are theses gimmicks? Would a heart rate monitor be a better choice?

Thanks
  • irenerose25
    irenerose25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I love my Bodybugg. I was way undereating before, and it is motivating. I realize that it probably isn't as acurate as they claim, but I have been losing weight steadily, so I am happy :)
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media FIT and use it in conjunction with my heart rate monitor. Personally, I love it.

I like being able to see how man calories I spend during the entire day, how much sleep and for what periods I am asleep. In conjunction with the heart rate monitor I cal also track the number of steps and calories I burn, while still making sure that I am working targeted zones.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have the BB and absolutely LOVE IT!

I was doing 1200 and working out and then just estimating cals burned. That worked for a bit, then freeze. I plateaued a month straight, and gave in to get one.

It said I burned 2200 sitting all day, up to 3100 on burn days. And the whole time I was 1200. No wonder I froze. So I started following its 1000 cal defeceit and boom, 7 lbs in a little over a week.

I love being able to see statistics on all day, have that piece of mind that I am not guessing, and in the end happy with my purchase.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use the body media fit and love it. It measures the calories that I burn rather than estimates which means that I have greater control over my calories and exercises.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Bodymedia Fit Core Armband 3 days ago. So far, I really am enjoying seeing all the numbers. I am going for a 500 calorie deficit per day. I feel it gives me very valuable information. For example I figured I burned about 2000 calories a day (BMR) but per BMF I actually burn sometimes up to 2650. I love to eat and cook so I was very happy I could eat more! I want to make sure I eat enough to keep my body fueled and since I lift weights, and have for many years, I want to lose a little bodyfat, not muscle. It has also motivated me to be even more active. Usually on Sunday's I am a couch potato. Yes, I was a potato today, but after my nap I went for a quick walk around the neighborhood with my husband and Old English Sheepdog and I burned almost 198 extra calories! Of course, my husband thinks I am a nut. Yes a fitness nut! Let me know if you have any further questions. I did tons of research between the Bodymedia Fit products and Fitbit and I feel the Bodymedia Fit is way more accurate :bigsmile:
  • kerihickmanklayum
    Options
    I currently purchased Basis, which looks like a watch. It records calories burned, but really only based on the steps you take or the amount bicycled. It won't record calories burned when doing something like yoga or yard work. I have used the Body Bugg and loved the information I received and the ability to input what I'd eaten, but I don't like wearing it. I want to find something I can wear on my wrist, so I'd love to hear more about the Nike product.