Anaemic and I need more iron, ideas...?

Options
Hiya, I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to come up with ideas for food that is high in iron as I'm pretty anaemic.
Cheap, cheerful and delicious ideas? I'm not a fantastic cook as I've only started learning to cook over the past year or two so no really complecated recipes please. :)

Also feel free to add me; I'm almost 20 with a year old little girl.
Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's tricky to get enough iron if you do not eat a lot of red meat, leafy greens, etc -- especially for women with menstrual periods! If you can incorporate more servings of these items into your everyday diet - red meat, kale, collard greens, etc. that is the BEST way!

What I do, since I don't eat a lot of red meat - is take a ferrous gluconate supplement at night. I find that variety of iron supplement is easiest on my stomach. Make sure you take an iron pill on an empty stomach- food will prevent it's absorption and you won't get the most bang for your buck! OJ also makes your body absorb it better.
  • Alyshia90
    Options
    Hey Hun, beans, nuts, red meat, apricots, prunes and raisins are all high in iron. But if you don't particullary like them you can by iron supplements I'm the chemists quite cheap!!! Good luck alyshia x
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also have to take a supplement bc my iron is always low no matter what I eat. But she's right in the food choices. The problem with red meat is cholesterol. The more greens the better. Spinach is really high in iron. Peanut butter is a good source too but peanut butter is also high in calories. Good luck. I also had a 1 yr old daughter when I was 20. She's now 17 and I have 3 little ones too. I commend you for taking care of any weight problem now! Good luck!
  • stephcatie
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6358420
  • stephcatie
    Options
    I LOVE SPINACH!!!!
  • Alyshia90
    Options
    also liquorice has lots of iron in apparently :)