Food scale...Do you weigh your portions?

Options
Do you weigh your food portions? Does it make a difference? I've been guessing when it comes to weight and portion size on the food that isn't clearly marked (like chicken) since I started the beginning of Jan. and wondering if I should buy a food scale to be more specific when tracking my calorie intake...what do you think? Has anyone found using a food scale to be helpful or more work than its worth....

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I weigh whenever it's needed. If I buy a container of chicken, and it's 377g (I've not plucked that number from nothing, that's the right one for my chicken), I will take approximately half and accept that it's 188.5g, but for anything like fruit and veg, cereal etc where it's harder to guess that number, I definitely always weigh. I wouldn't pour out a quarter of a 400g bag of frozen veg and assume I'd got 100g, because it's much harder to get that quarter right than pulling five pieces of chicken out of a container of ten.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything, it only takes a extra second during the prep work and it means you know 100% what your eating. Just dont get fooled by portion sizes on stuff like pasta, as they may be dry weight rather than cooked weight!
  • leafygreensforme
    leafygreensforme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks...
    Anyone else out there have a thought?
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. Otherwise, how do yo know how much you are actually eating?

It really is the most accurate way to track. Even when you measure in measuring cups, you will often find, when compared to the scale you are either over or underrating the serving.
  • judgejava
    Options
    Thanks...
    Anyone else out there have a thought?

If you dont know how much it weighs or the amount you are having, you cant count your calories.

The end

;-)
  • leafygreensforme
    Options
    Do you trust the portion size and calories when it's printed on the package?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Do you trust the portion size and calories when it's printed on the package?

Always. I wouldn't have anything to go on, otherwise. I use what I'm given, and it works.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure everything to make sure I'm eating the correct portions...
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Yes, and it makes a hell of a lot of difference to me. I follow the Slimming World plan and you pretty much have to. I have been shocked by how little a 'portion' really is, but then I think my portions before were massively inflated and that's probably why I got to the size I did. I have 28g of cereal in the morning, 100ml of milk with it, etc. I also properly measure tablespoons/teaspoons by making sure it's not a heaped tablespoon/teaspoon. It sounds like a lot of effort but it's second nature to me now.
  • Alsha1999
    Alsha1999 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I measure every meal! My eyes lie to me if I do not. They tell me that I need more. :) I have weighed and measured my food for over 12 years. I serve food with measuring cups.
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do trust the package. Usually go with the weight option as opposed to the 1/4 cup type stuff if it is a dry food.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In things that are pre-packaged or measured, I trust the package. But with something like meats or a bag of frozen veggies, or a can of something, I will measure or weigh. It makes everything more accurate - and only takes an extra second. :)
  • Kona54
    Kona54 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    that is a big YES..especially protein...most women do not eat enough..if its green veggies I don't weigh
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I just scan the barcodes on the packages and go by that. Some stuff I'll measure like liquids but for the most part I just try to be in the ballpark. It has worked for me that way
  • JeannieCH
    Options
    I weigh almost everything! I don't estimate portions well, so my calorie count per day would be way off.
    I have some handy measuring "cups" as well that I use for things like cooked rice. Since I'm usually cooking for more than myself, it is nice to plate up the right portions for myself.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am allowed 6-8 ounces of protein a day so I always use the food scale for fish, chicken, etc. I could just guestimate but I'd rather know for sure.

15247291.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • leafygreensforme
    Options
    Thank you so very much...I'm heading out his morning to but a food scale...are they all pretty much the same?
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh anything. I count the calories. As for finding the serving size the most I will do is measure for things like cereal.. I dont measure fruit or vegetables.

If it is a pack of 3 chicken breast at 2.5 pounds I just divide 2.5 by 3 and get my weight then count the calories accordingly
  • CP533
    CP533 Posts: 10
    Options
    I weight everything, otherwise I worry I'm giving myself too much. I have a pen and paper in the kitchen so I can write down weights then add them to MFP when I have time.

Drives my husband mad sometimes when we're serving up dinner, haha!

Sometimes with things like mayo if I don't eat it all I'll weigh whats left to be accurate...I think thats OCD though :laugh:

Obviously I'm not that particular about it when eating out or at friends and just guess
  • CP533
    CP533 Posts: 10
    Options
    I dont weigh anything. I count the calories.

I weigh things so I can accurately count calories, surely they go hand in hand? If you have nutritional values for 100g of pasta, for example, the only way of accurately calorie counting is to weigh the pasta you have and then calculate them from there