what to wear for winter walking/running

Options
I'm a just starting out and am really getting tired of the chapped feeling skin (all over). I'm too big for women's under armor. I wear sweatpants, tee shirt, sweatshirt, and polar fleece along with a fleece hat that covers my mouth and nose. My hubby is not thrilled with me doing this in 20 degree weather but I am determined to keep going so I need some suggestions, Please

Thanks

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I tend to take a long time to warm up when I run, so I may dress heavier than others....but I wear a thermal top (close to the skin for your first layer is always good), and then another looser thermal over that if it is below 15 degrees. Then on top of that just a wind breaker type jacket. I then wear long underwear with running pants over that, with mittens (better than gloves), a neck gaitor, and a hat. If you are running, it's the rule of 10....always dress like it is 10 degrees warmer out than it really is. I typically don't venture out if it is below zero (actual temperature, I will sometimes go out if the wind chill is making it below zero).
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my hubby was trying to get me to wear a heavy Union suit to go out in. LOL
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I live in the far north of Canada. We ski to as cold as -35 Celsius. I swear by merino wool by icebreaker. I usually wear a 260 weight long sleeve with a breathable jacket. 260 weight long johns with ski pants over top and a merino wool balaclava. Truly... If you dress for the weather in proper layers you will be fine. I am usually too warm!
  • CLotfy
    CLotfy Posts: 31
    Options
    When I go out walking I normally wear jeans or sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, gloves, scarf, and my winter hat that covers head, ear and chin. On any given day the temperature is between 0F and 25F here. The kids are in their clothing, fleece snowsuits, fleece hat and scarf, down blanket, and wind guard over the stroller.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I used a long sleave undershirt this morning and it made all the diffrence. I remembered about keeping my core warm but forgot about my extremities needing the same type of coverage.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I always layer - then I can adjust if need. Good base layer does wonders. I like those tops with the "loops" that can keep your hands warm... gloves are good but then my hands get hot after a while. Those loops finger things are a great alternative!
    I always wear a hat, have to keep my ears warm. My 2nd and 3rd layer usually have zips, full or half zips so I can adjust if I get hot.

Keep up the good work!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I prefer running in the winter over running in the summer... I don't like the heat. I find it fascinating that you can go out running when it is 5 degrees out and at some point you get so hot your hands and feet are sweating... the body is an amazing thing. Unfortunately, I have a foot injury and I am on the running side lines this winter.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    I think you should fit into men's UnderArmour shirts. I wear a large in them, and they look fine. They come in XXXL sometimes. Checkout their site. You may find some that are pretty cool looking. I have several, and I get second looks when I wear mine.

Caroline:happy:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Under Armor isn't the only company that makes clothes for cold weather running. Have you looked at Old Navy? They have larger sizes. You really shouldn't wear cotton clothing because when you sweat, it can weigh your down and also make you cold when you cool down. I tend to warm up within 5 minutes of running and end up taking off things like gloves and a jacket.

I know there are probably other clothing companies out there for larger women, but I just don't know any offhand other than Old Navy.