Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Insulin Resistance

Does anyone have any experience with insulin resistance and eating a low glycemic diet?

Replies

• Hi I may ..what do you mean by insulin resistence? what are your symptoms?
  • jkw61
    jkw61 Posts: 2 Member
    I have battled insulin resistance for years. My method was to eat small amounts of low fat, good quality protein several times a day and to drastically reduce starchy carbohydrates. My results were always the same...I felt good, but could not drop any weight. If I ate starchy carbs I would gain weight.

About 4 weeks ago I changed things up. For heart disease prevention purposes I decided to do an experiment. I decided to eat according to Dr Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease eating plan. It is basically low fat vegan. I have lost 8 pounds and feel great.

Good luck with your journey! I hope you find what works for you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I've been researching IR/T2D for a couple years now (in school, not just as a habit). I don't have it personally though.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I have IR and I follow a no grain/no starch diet. I have lost weight, but it's very slow in coming off. I'm also taking 2 different types of Rx's for it, and multiple supplements to help manage my blood sugars.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    I have the same problem, along with PCOS... It is extremely difficult to lose weight which is excruciatingly frustrating when you've always been athletic, eat healthy, and work out vigorously... I find that a Zone type approach is most beneficial, but am planning on eliminating more grains from my diet as well. I have looked at Paleo as another option, hate to fully eliminate dairy & my occl alcohol though. ; ) Good luck and anyone with suggestions, please feel free to offer them up here.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You've gotten some good replies. If I were you I'd eliminate all grain, starchy veggies and high glycemic fruit as well as any alcohol from your diet. A couple of other things you can try is fast for several hours before your workouts, or workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning then intake little to no carbs for 2 hours afterward. This will increase your insulin sensitivty somewhat.

Another thing I might recommend is the book The Metabolic Typing Diet. It may help you to dial in your individual nutritional requirements and improve your insulin sensitivity.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    The South Beach plan was first developed to help prevent diabetes and heart disease, that's why it interested me. It does this by keeping your blood sugar levels even throughout the day, so should be very good for insulin resistance. BTW, it's not low carb, it's low in refined carbs and sugar.
  • What are the symptoms and how is it diagnosed? is there a blood test?

I am asking because I have something with my blood sugar and am not sure what it is...it effects me several times ( about every 3 hours ) every day and during the night ( wakes me out of a sound sleep) . The only thing that makes me feel beter is to eat protein higher in fat not carbs of any type. Lean protein will not "hold me". It makes it very difficulst to lose weight because I always need to eat. It comes on suddenly. I have never been diagnosed because I can not fast for a blood test.

Appreciate any help or suggestions