Protein Shake Timing

Options
I am currently doing he 30 Day Shred and usually drink a protein shake right after I finish, as I've always heard it's best to drink a protein shake right after working out. However, I'm wondering if since the workout is only 20 minutes, I could drink the shake right before I do it and it would have the same effect?

I ask because I'm trying to do it more in the mornings, and I don't want to work out on an empty stomach. However, I don't want to eat something, then work out, then drink a shake because of the extra calories... and also I'm just never hungry in the mornings :P If I could drink the shake and then work out that would be great because I could count the shake as my "breakfast" - and if I was hungry after doing the shred then I could always just eat something else. Thoughts?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As long as you can keep it down, that's fine.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    LosingMyselfin2011 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just went to a nutrition class last week. The nutritionist said you should eat something of carbs like fruit, whole grains right before working out. Save the protein for just after. She said your body won't break down the protein/fats in time to use it for exercise energy. It will sit in your stomach too long. Carbs break down faster. That is the short version and I'm sure I'm not explaining it all right so you get the jist.

I was doing exactly what you are talking about. I would always drink my shake before working out in the morning because I wanted it to be my breakfast calories! So I'm trying something new today.... drinking a small fruit green smoothie for carbs before working out. Protein after.
    Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Carb loading for a 20min workout?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Carb loading for a 20min workout?
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your workout calories anyway, so what's the big deal?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No matter how long the work out, its good to get carbs before. Not necessarily carb load for a 20 minute work out,some oatmeal, or a piece of whole wheat toast and a coupe apple slices or other fruit would be good, then drink the shake after.

There is going to be a mixture of "opinions" on this topic, but this is my experience on what works best for me, and what my personal trainer as well as nutritionists have suggested for me.

I have also found that if I drink a shake before a work out and then nothing after, I find myself starving a little later, and I can make some bad food choices when I am starving.

Good luck, I think you should try a few of the reasonable suggestions that you get and see what works best for you.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your workout calories anyway, so what's the big deal?

I do eat my workout calories. I make my shake with almond milk and sometimes a banana so it always has as many calories (and sometimes more) than I burn while working out. I'm a snacker so I don't like to use up a lot of calories in the beginning of the day, that way when I get cravings later I have the calories left to snack a bit.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'll try some toast or something beforehand and then save the shake for afterwards, and see how that goes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    drink half before and the other half after
  • IronSmasher
    Options

This is a popular one.

If weight loss is your goal, you really don't need to eat extra carbs. If you've managed the workout without having carbs before, see no logical reason to change that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

This is a popular one.

If weight loss is your goal, you really don't need to eat extra carbs. If you've managed the workout without having carbs before, see no logical reason to change that.

the question was about a protein shake. I didnt say anything about extra carbs.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Not you Dave. I was supporting you, then getting back to the carbs people starting saying the OP should add.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I could drink the shake right before I do it and it would have the same effect?

Yes, as long as it doesn't make you uncomfortable.
    I ask because I'm trying to do it more in the mornings, and I don't want to work out on an empty stomach.

Have you tried training fasted? If not, I would suggest giving it a couple of workouts to see how it goes. Some people train very, very well fasted.
    Thoughts?

I would let performance in the gym and personal preference dictate how you time your nutrients. Unless you are doing a multiple day fast, the difference in results from altering your meal timing will be trivial outside of it's effects on your training and assuming adequate end of day nutritional totals.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I ask because I'm trying to do it more in the mornings, and I don't want to work out on an empty stomach.

Have you tried training fasted? If not, I would suggest giving it a couple of workouts to see how it goes. Some people train very, very well fasted.

Yeah, I worked out yesterday morning before eating anything and felt very nauseated and unstable.

Thanks for the additional advice guys! I guess I'll just have to try a few different things and see what feels the best. I kind of like the half of the shake before and half after idea.