Any one else doing low carb diet?

Options
Years ago when I managed to loose weight I did the atkins diet, it worked really well for me teamed with exercise! I started on monday on a low carb diet - i'm eating a lot of salad and meat but very low amounts of carbs, is any one else doing this? i've put in my meals as iv'e eatn them and i'm way over on protein and sometimes on fat ..... yet i feel a lot slimmer than i did this day last week... anyone else doing it like me?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm eating pretty low-carb. Have you changed your goals to reflect how you should be eating now? I have mine at 55% fat, 30% protein, and 15% carbohydrate. That way I'm not in the red on things at the end of the day. The first week is primarily water weight but that does lead to a flatter tummy if you've been retaining water.
  • cloaylward
    Options
    HI, i didn;'t know you could change your goals! how long have you been low carbing? are they the settings I should go to for me?! i shouldn't be retainig water as I am on very strong fluid tables - frusomide - maybe it's a bit of both lol!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yes you can! Click on My Home, the Goals, then Change Goals, then Custom. There you can change the %'s. Don't be afraid to have a high fat setting--without the carbohydrates you need an energy replacement. I did low carb a couple years ago for close to a year. I did a lot of experimentation with intermittent fasting as well. For the past couple years I've eaten carbs. The main difference for me is the hunger...on low-carb I stay full so I'm able to control my calories with ease. Plus everything is tastier! You can look at my diary for ideas if you like. My carbs come primarily from nuts and fruit and a little dairy.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am! Let's be friends!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm a die-hard low carber. Been doing low carb for over 25 years. I find it very funny that when I tell people I eat low carb, they make the false assumption that I also do high fat. Wrong.

40 carbs (or less) per day and keep the fat intake down. That's it. Delicious food and no hunger. Not to mention, great health. Not even a cold or headache in over 25 years.

If you are into low carb, feel free to add me.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I managed to loose weight I did the atkins diet, it worked really well for me teamed with exercise! I started on monday on a low carb diet - i'm eating a lot of salad and meat but very low amounts of carbs, is any one else doing this? i've put in my meals as iv'e eatn them and i'm way over on protein and sometimes on fat ..... yet i feel a lot slimmer than i did this day last week... anyone else doing it like me?
    I set my macro's to match specific goals; my protein is high but not insane.
    Too much protein can cause issues.

I am trying to lose weight VERY slowly with higher protein in an effort to retain lean body mass.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have PCOS and diabetes so low-carb (but not no-carb) is the only choice for me. I'm set to 30% carbs in my diet breakdown and it seems to be working. Feel free to add me!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yup, my doc put me on a very severely restricted diet. Fewer than 30 carbs per day, and eating at least my body weight in protein per day. So I started out weighing over 300 lb, which meant eating 300g protein per day, which was really hard! But it has worked wonders. I didn't just lose weight, I also gained energy, cured mood swings & depression, and lowered my cholesterol.

Only caution: if you suspect you have kidney problems, get checked out by a doctor before starting a high-protein regimen. High protein / low carb isn't dangerous if you're normal, but if you have a preexisting problem it could stress the kidneys. Kind of like how a person with a weak heart shouldn't do high-intensity cardio workouts, but it's fine for the rest of us. And I don't know what those fluid tablets are that you were talking about, but be aware that the first week or two of a low-carb diet you should drink more water. When your body converts from burning mostly carbs to burning mostly fat/protein, it can cause dehydration. But that's just short-term, part of your body adjusting, you only have to be careful & drink plenty of water the first week or so.

Do make sure you're getting enough protein if you go low-carb. I think quite a few people who do Atkins & South Beach neglect that part of the equation. In your body, the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires some amino acids (protein). The ratio is about 3 parts fat to 1 part protein. So if you're trying to burn fat, you need to make sure you have enough protein to keep the reaction going. Otherwise, your body will harvest that protein from your muscles and you'll lose muscle mass. If you're trying to lose weight on a low-carb diet, most docs recommend trying to eat your body weight in protein grams every day. Protein isn't *just* burned for energy, after all: it's also used to keep your muscles, hair & fingernails healthy and it boosts your immune system.

There are a lot of people here on the forums doing low-carb. They have some great helpful ideas! Do a topic search for low-carb, paleo, or primal. You might also check out the website "Mark's Daily Apple."

I have mine set at 5% carbs, 35% fat, 60% protein. But the optimum ratio is going to be different for every person. Just figure out what works for your body! Good luck to you!
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I tried this some years back and lost quite a bit on it. I would love to learn more about it and how to set up my ratios on here, meals, snacks, etc... I lost the last 35-40 pounds on the belly fat cure, but lately nothing seems to work. I suffer from PCOS and mild depression, and have heard that lowering my carbs could really help control these.

Please feel free to add me.
  • cloaylward
    Options
    i've managed to fix my settings now! thank you!!!! for breakfast today i had 2 hardboiled eggs, lunch was 3 leaves of lettuce, 3 slices of ham, 3 cherry tomatos and 3 slices of cheese - making sure i drink plenty of water - i'm worried now about my tablets and a low carb diet, i know that i cannot eat too much potassium (bananas, potatoes) on the tablets, and the dr checks my blood every 2 months for my potassium levels.... there seems to be a bit of a stigma attached to low carb dieting, and i'd prefer not to talk to my dr about it, i was on other tablets last time i did the diet (centyl k) which were also duretics, so fingers crossed i'll be ok... i personally think that if i were to drop the 2 + stones i need to loose i'd be a lot healthier and may even be able to come off the tablets! i've done weightwatchers in the past (lost just over a stone) but to behonest the €10 per week we couldn't afford so i gave up... i'm an emotional eater and this year has bene tough....
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    i've managed to fix my settings now! thank you!!!! for breakfast today i had 2 hardboiled eggs, lunch was 3 leaves of lettuce, 3 slices of ham, 3 cherry tomatos and 3 slices of cheese - making sure i drink plenty of water - i'm worried now about my tablets and a low carb diet, i know that i cannot eat too much potassium (bananas, potatoes) on the tablets, and the dr checks my blood every 2 months for my potassium levels.... there seems to be a bit of a stigma attached to low carb dieting, and i'd prefer not to talk to my dr about it, i was on other tablets last time i did the diet (centyl k) which were also duretics, so fingers crossed i'll be ok... i personally think that if i were to drop the 2 + stones i need to loose i'd be a lot healthier and may even be able to come off the tablets! i've done weightwatchers in the past (lost just over a stone) but to behonest the €10 per week we couldn't afford so i gave up... i'm an emotional eater and this year has bene tough....

Well on low carb you won't be eating many bananas or potatoes. I don't eat either. My fruits are strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and grapefruit. I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT!!! :) If you're worried about too much water loss, you could always drink some sugar-free sports drink in the AM. It will contain some sodium and a tiny bit of potassium to help balance your electrolytes.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb but I follow South Beach so it's low in refined carbs and sugar.
  • NannetteAdams
    NannetteAdams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb off and on for the past few years. It seems that is the only thing that works for me. The past couple of weeks I've been eating 1,200 calories (including carbs) and exercising and I'm not seeing any results. So I think I'm going to go back to doing low carb. I'm a carb addict - especially pasta! I also find that I'm not as hungry all the time when doing low carb. I don't cook, but there are a lot of delicious low carb recipes out there I would like to try. I also find I eat more vegetables when doing low carb.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I typically avoid most carbs unless they come from fruit or veggies. I only rarely eat a piece of whole wheat/whole grain bread, tostito chips or a low carb tortilla wrap. I initially switched to whole grain carbs, but went carbless when I hit a plateau & it was effective for making that scale move. I feel better than I have in years. :)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I am using a low carb method called carb nite solution and not cutting cals at all, I aim for a 50/50 ratio of fat to protein so around 160 grams each/day. Just keep in mind that for low carb to really energy you really need the fat, attempting to do low carb and staying low on fat will achieve the opposite of what you are trying to do. The big difference is that once/week you have a carb nite to accelerate fat loss. Thus far it has been working really well for me in terms of retaining my muscle and shedding the fat, I do not cut cals anymore because when I do that I start losing muscle. Once the fat is down to where I want it I am going to switch gears to carb backloading to get maximum muscle gain with zero fat gain.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I've done low-carb dieting for the past 14 months. Feel free to add me if you'd like some help in this area. Good luck!
  • jbeezy85
    jbeezy85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low-carb for about a month now. After the process of elimination I figured out that foods high in carbs gave me really bad heartburn. So, I have adapted my diet from the "Dukan diet". You are allowed some carbs but mostly from unprocessed foods and all meats need to be lean. Needless to say my heartburn has almost gone away for good and I feel great. I feel so great without the carbs ;)
  • kcnjason
    kcnjason Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't do a STRICT low carb diet but about 10 years ago in high school I did the Dr Adkins diet with my mother and I have always stuck with a lot of the eating habits. I always have found that I have other issues when I eat white breads. I don't do much pasta, breads or junk foods such as donuts, candy etc....The carbs that I do eat are in fruits and vegetables. I believe it is a very healthy way to eat. Feel free to add me as a friend as well,, would love to have someone to chat about regarding low carb eating.
  • JLWilson27
    Options
    I've been doing a low carb diet for a week now and have lost about 3 pounds. I started following the SB Phase 1 but I think as long as I keep my carb count under 50 I will be fine.

I'm also doing Zumba and the elliptical for now. Hoping to get more workouts in as time goes on and eventually get back on P90X.

Feel free to add me if you want to see my diaries or just for support.
  • joyfulrice
    joyfulrice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how much fat do you do a day? i am just starting to do low carb because i feel it will work best for me.