How important is a rest day? I need answers please!

Options
How important is a rest day? I have worked out everyday this week and today will be day 8, I feel like a total shlub if I don't work out, but I don't want not having a rest day work against me. Can someone explain this to me please?

Replies

• Smiler40
    Smiler40 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know what you mean, as I have worked out constantly for the last month in the gym and I can definately see the results - but I was wondering the same thing, should I have one day off, but again like yourself, would feel I had cheated if I did not go to the gym (just my personal opinion) as I am very dedicated :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Cardio is fine every day. Weight training requires you cycle your muscle groups daily so the same ones aren't worked twice in a row as they grow and repair for up to 72(I think..?) hours after being worked. If you're too sore, take a break. Otherwise, do as you see fit.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very important. Just like we need rest to function properly, our body needs rest too. I believe in taking rest days. Saturday and Sunday are my rest days. You don't want to overwork your body. If you don't take rest days, your body will eventually let you know it needs to rest.
  • indianjones
    indianjones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A body in motion tends to stay in motion :smile: It is a good thing.

Mind you, I am no expert...Take a half hour walk, practice yoga, play with kids, clean house or something that doesn't feel like exercise, but is still activity. That will help you in every aspect.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel,if I don't work out I feel kinda guilty for not doing it. My rest days are usually on Thursdays but this past one I exercised .. I try to take 1 day off,especially if I'm feeling it!
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing a 'rest day' every week but I do a 'different day' instead. I usually do a gym workout but once a week I change it up. Today, my dh and I are going on a long hike!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how demanding your workouts are. If you lift weights or if you do a lot of high impact stuff, the rest days are essential.

If you're just working out for ten minutes a day, going for a walk, or doing yoga, you could probably keep it up every day and not worry so much about resting.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing a 'rest day' every week but I do a 'different day' instead. I usually do a gym workout but once a week I change it up. Today, my dh and I are going on a long hike!

This is probably a good idea too. You can let some muscle groups repair themselves while you work out others. We went sledding yesterday, and it was a blast.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a friend (and I've experienced this, too) who would work out every single day. That was her lifestyle. She ended up having issues (not serious ones) with her heart. At night, her heart would beat really, really hard and it caused her to lose sleep. She did a lot of cardio and so do I. I think a rest every once in a while is good. Your heart is a muscle, too, so rest is good. I would say that at least one rest day a week is good - just my opinion. Some would say more.
  • mamatoboys6219
    mamatoboys6219 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am just like you, working out everyday since Ive started a week ago. Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, but the guilt ate me up enough to do some cardio. I just did 20 min on the elliptical. Easy enough, maybe if you are feeling tired or run down, take a rest day. If not, and you are feeling good, cardio is good for any day!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on what type of work out you are doing. If it's cardio, doing some every day should be fine. Consider people who walk or bike each day as their primary mode of transportation. They're just fine, so us cardio folks will be too :)
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I will share my recent findings.

I have never been able to take rest days. I understand what you mean 100%. I don't feel right/have a good day if I haven't gotten a good workout in. So I worked out every day.

Beginning of this week, my body shut down on me. I had "Over training Syndrome" which included not being able to move my back, my knees in horrible pain, sore throat, irritable, crying....really weird. That tapered off into laryngitis. Instead of one day off I was out of the gym for a sucky 5 days :-(.

Now I was really pushing hard as I am training to become a group exercise instructor so my situation may be a little extreme, but its an example of what can happen when you ignore your body's signals for too long--so just listen to your body.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with rest days believing that since I eat everyday I should exercise everyday as well. But, particularly if you are exercising intensely or are older (such as me) rest days are really important. I now take one day a week off and sometimes two and it doesn't seem to have impacted my weight loss one bit. In fact, weighing in after a rest day is sometimes recommended, since the effects of daily exercise (the body getting stronger) can result in temporary water retention that can mask your progress.

Best wishes everyone!!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah - it is not critical to "do nothing" one day - it's not unhealthy to be active every day - people in other countries often walk one to two miles a day just getting to errands and work. What is unhealthy is overtraining, and if you are tired or run down, you should definitely allow yourself to rest. Furthermore, if you're doing a lot of interval or more intense cardio, as with resistance training, you need a rest from that. There is no reason why your "rest" or "other" day can't just have some gentle yoga, a low-training-zone steady-state cardio for even 15 minutes, or a long walk outside. Any of those sorts of things should leave you with a BIT of post-workout glow and good endorphins but without the full-throttle drive. I often have weeks where I miss it badly when I don't workout, and some where I do not take a rest day - then this past week, I've had so much craziness I only worked out once. I'm not happy about it but can cut myself a break and know I'll be back to 5 - 6 days a week next week. Anyway, in an intense week, I like to definitely do some walking and stretching and stuff on my "off" day - I just want to feel my body move and breathe.

If you feel GUILTY for not exercising, well, that's something else all together and you might want to look at that closer.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. I just think it is up to that individual. Everyone has different body signals and we all should pay attention to it. I rest on Sundays usually. I would say, having a rest day is very important to me. If you feel better when you work out, do it, if you feel bad about it, then go right ahead and work out. BUT if not .....then dont have any activity once in a while. ITS UP TO YOU!

Just my 2 cents.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Take it from a permanently injured person... rest days are important!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    There is no rule that says have a rest day. Sure, it's important for weightlifting but the reality of it is, if you are doing that properly, as in 2-3 days a week, then you won't have to work in rest days for that.
    I do 80 minutes or more of cardio 5days a week, or it's equivalent at least, so I take the other two days as "rest" days, but those days I usually do some yoga or calisthenics instead of full on working out.

It really is, to each their own, and if you feel fine doing it, great! just listen to your body and make sure you aren't ignoring the cues it gives you when you need to take a break.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Rest day are helpful as even with cardio centric programs your body uses the rest to heal and build muscle fibers. That having been said, psychologically one or two days in seven of a good 20 min stretch (to tension not to pain) can help the mind. Consider maybe some tai chi or qigong on those days. I base this on principles learned during my time as an Army Master fitness trainer.
  • ctinajoy
    ctinajoy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Sat & Sun days as rest days just because working out doesn't really fit into my schedule well those days. I DON'T feel GUILTY about it at all, but I do feel CRAPPY mood-wise and realize just how much the regular exercise has been improving my general mood during the week. I'm going to try and do some family-friendly exercise on the weekends (playing Wii or Xbox Kinect with the kids or something) and see if that helps. I also miss having those extra calories to eat-- I find that I end up eating about the same each day whether I exercise or not, so it's better to have the extra calories earned through exercise so I can stay under my calorie goal.