Cheat/Reward Meals

Options
What's everyone's thoughts on them? Do you allow yourself these meals, or avoid them? If you do, do you eat burgers, pizza, Mexican, with dessert, etc.......or do you try to keep it on the healthier side?

Replies

• jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From experience, if I completely deny myself those "bad" foods I do really well for a while but eventually I end up giving in and bingeing on them. I do best when I eat mostly whole good foods, but allow myself things like pizza, cookies, pasta occasionally and just make sure I watch my portion size.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried to avoid, because I try not to deprive now. So if I want Mexican I eat Mexican, I just make wise choices: More veggies fewer tortilla chips, Pico de Gallo instead of queso, etc. If I want a dessert I only order one and split it with my husband and daughter. Now I've set different reward systems for myself: a pair of shoes, a pedicure, a get-away trip, My end goal weight will be rewarded by a tattoo I've been wanting for awhile now. Hope this helps.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You have to allow yourself to have a "treat" once in awhile. If you need a sweet eat a cookie....or single serve frozen pie or cake thing from wal mart in the frozen section. They are good and just one serving so you are not going to be stuck with a whole cake or pie in the house. If you are hungry for a hamberger....go get one...cut it in half and eat half and take the rest home for lunch the next day. If you dont eat whatever you are craving, you will go WAY over board when you do get your hands on it....that one pizza slice will turn into the whole Lrg pizza!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days but if I want something that is not the greatest, once in a while, I eat it.
    As long as I don't do it too often I'm ok with it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like, as long as it fits within my calorie goals. I don't consider pizza, burgers, Mexican food or dessert to be 'cheating'. My food diary is full of this kind of food, but also full of fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains, etc.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cheat meals. I know if I start I'll never stop. And I'd feel sluggish and bloated.

I don't eat the healthiest diet in the world right now, I just watch my calories. So I don't feel I'm depriving myself anything. And my rewards will be non-food related things. New clothes, a night out (sticking to low cal drinks!), cinema....something like that.

My downfall was always take aways (take outs for those of you in the US). Now I'd prefer to cook a healthier version myself.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I routinely hit my calorie and macronutrient goals and I incorporate foods that I enjoy while doing so. I do not deny myself any food that I like, but depending on my fitness goals (cutting/bulking/etc) I may have to limit myself so that I CAN hit those nutritional targets.

You are either going over for the day which makes it a cheat day, or you are not going over, which makes it not cheating. Cheat "meal" isn't well defined.
  • reebug1226
    Options
    Most of the time I just tell myself that "I don't need that" , but sometimes I allow myself to have a meal that is not as healthy as normal. By doing this I find that I am able to eat healthier 99% of the time. Not speaking for anyone else, but for myself, I feel that by constantly denying myself a meal of my favorite food, I am setting myself up for failure. I find that when I continually deny myself that I eventually give in to temptation and when I do I eat badly for an entire day if not more and completely fall off the wagon. So I eat a meal every once in a while that will allow me to curb those cravings and jump right back on my wagon for a few weeks. Although, I do count everything into my daily calorie count!!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't really give myself cheat days/meals. I try and fit it in my daily calorie limit. If I do go over or know I'll possibly go over I'll Get some extra exercise in :bigsmile:
  • weezykid
    Options
    I tend to be one of those people who if you let yourself have the odd 'cheat' i dont stop! But at the same time if you have a massive craving and you cant shift it not matter how much you try, just eat the damn thing as you will spend more time (and probably calories) trying to fill the void rather than just have what you wanted in the first place. Ideally pick the healthier option or less of it (i always split my takaways in half to eat next day) or just accept the odd treat and get back on the wagon again
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am going to deny myself until I can really see some progress. You have no idea how determined I am to lose weight this time. I will sacrifice those foods. I have somewhat of an addictive personality, and food is my drug of choice. LOL
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If I want those things I eat them provided I have the cals and such. For me, if I deny eating certain things (chips, chocolate, pizza, etc) I will at some point binge on them so i have learned to allow myself things in moderation. For things like pizza, I will make a lower calorie version. Mexican - if I want tacos I'll have some or make myself a taco salad. If I want chips, I'll have some or I'll make my own healthier version.

If I know I'm going out for a meal I look on the restaurants website first and see what the nutritional information is for their meals. I make my choice based on that. If I know I'm going to go for a few drinks I don't deny myself, I will try to make better choices or plan to have a certain amount and go from there.

I don't allow myself cheat meals or cheat days as I know once I start I won't stop until it's out of hand. For me, I won't deny myself things for reasons above and also because I am changing my lifestyle and I know I can't say I'll never have pizza and chips etc forever so I make sure I make them fit and make better choices.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how determined I am to lose weight this time. I will sacrifice those foods.

I like the determination!!!

I see both points of reason.....for my part, I'm just trying not to be anal. I have come to the realization that I HAVE to make certain lifestyle changes if I want to reach my goals, and I know what these changes need to be. At the same time, within reason and within my caloric and nutritional needs, I'm not going to over analyze and deny myself things I feel I can have. Losing weight is a personal responsibility and it's up to, and goin to be different for, each individual. It's going to be up to each person to figure out what works for them.

I appreciate everyone's comments.......it 's interesting and helpful to get other's input.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. My burgers are either marinated portobello mushrooms or homemade veggie burgers and are low fat, lower in calories than the meat based alternative, and I don't consider them cheats. Same with pizza (no cheese, topped with veggies and a garlicky vinaigrette). Dinner starts, though, with a large salad. Same with Mexican - veggie fajitas made with grilled portobellos, eggplant, squash, asparagus, onions, bell pepper; homemade low fat refried black beans; homemade guacamole. Again, no cheese. Every now and then for a special occasion I'll make a dessert that I can eat. If I don't want to be tempted, then I make a dessert with butter/eggs/milk. It truly holds no temptation for me.

But even if you aren't vegan, you can use some of the same tricks. My family eats meat, but absolutely loves a portobello mushroom burger. You could make a lower fat burger with turkey. Make the patties smaller. Use low-fat cheese or cut it out altogether. There are lots of healthy Mexican dishes. Mexican doesn't mean "covered in cheese and sour cream." Make pizza with a whole wheat crust. I made veggie pizzas (with cheese) years ago when I was eating meat. I'd cover them in sauteed onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, then add other ingredients - marinated roma tomato slices, artichoke hearts, whatever your favorite veggies happen to be. I'd make them for guests and they would eat quite a few slices before realizing there was no meat on the pizza. Just use a reduced fat cheese and use a small quantity.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    the trick with "Cheats" is to MAINTAIN PORTION CONTROL! wich is hard sometimes, just take steps to make it easier. Before you eat it, ask yourself if you are REALLY hungry, if you are then you can proceed. Share your cheat food with someone, or cut it in half and throw 1/2 away if the serving is too big (i have a hard time with this because of the waste, but you're only causing harm to yourself if you eat it all, and it costs the same whether you eat it all or not) It is extremely hard to be successful if you cut all bad food out, and what's the point in being thin if you are miserable all the time. Just be smart and MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE! also, be sure to record your cheats in MFP... you have to be accountable if you want to be a success :)