TurboFire

Options
Hi all! I have been seeing conversations about TurboFire on here and had never heard of it...so I looked it up and it looks great!

I am currently doing 30 Day Shred and having good results but I will probably need something new to move onto afterward. I really want a workout that's a bit more fun. Although Jillian is fantastic, her attitude is to have 20 minutes of horribleness where you hate her and then it's over, but then you get results and love her. I'd like to enjoy my workout more, and TurboFire looks like a lot more fun!

What do people think who've done it? I'm a bit apprehensive because it's a lot more expensive than the Jillian Michaels DVD's, and I'm not sure I want to take a chance!

Replies

• brookef81
    brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I just sent a message to someone about this! I WANT IN!!! But, I want more information, too...from real people.

Like, how long are the workouts? Can a "beginner" really handle the moves?
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    I have the same questions Brooke! Ha, maybe if we both do it we can continue on with our daily check-ins!

Anyone who's done TurboFire, help us please! :-)
  • brookef81
    Options
    Also, it is WAY expensive, I would hate to spend that much money on something I would not use :)
  • sholtz79
    sholtz79 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ditto girls!! I was just looking into this too but worried about being "too beginner" to handle it? It looks like fun and seems like it would work. I'm doing 30DS now too and Jillian annoys me. I liked her on BL and she seems nice but she just bugs me on the dvds!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This post will load up your inbox with messages from Coaches. It looks like a good workout and am interested in it. I think I might get it off ebay since it is cheaper there.
  • fourthirtyten
    Options
    I did a round of TurboFire last summer and it's a lot of fun. The fact that you've been doing something is great because I definitely don't think it's for someone who is just starting out with exercise. The moves are quick, but each DVD has what's called a "New to Class" option where Chalene will break down every move before each routine - it's very helpful and after doing that option a few times, you'll be able to move on the regular DVD option where there's no breaks, you just do the routine without her breaking it down.

The work outs vary - the "Fire" classes range from 30-55 minutes, whereas the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) work outs are 15, 20, 25, and 30 minutes. Those work outs are designed to get your heart rate up quickly, and then recover for a full minute - except you do the routine several times during the length of the DVD.

I highly recommend it, honestly. I'm currently doing a hybrid scheduled program with TurboFire and ChaLEAN Extreme, which is Chalene's strength training program. The DVD's certainly work, no doubt! :-)
  • xXHeatherRaeXx
    xXHeatherRaeXx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of TF. I really do love it! I think it's Chalene Johnson that makes the workouts so fun and motivating, but it's a great workout.

I was a complete Turbo virgin when I ordered it (I did the monthly payments, by the way, because I couldn't afford to do the full fee), but there's a "new to class" option at the beginning of every workout where she breaks everything down move-wise. I fumbled around for a couple weeks, but eventually got all the moves down.

The workouts vary from 15 minutes to 60 minutes with the advanced DVD. It's just a great program and you'll be hooked if you like dance-type workouts combined with kickboxing.
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Turbo Fire! It is definitely an intense workout, but it burns some serious cals.
    I think it would be fine for even a beginner. It is fast tempo, but you learn the moves quickly and it isn't hard to keep up.

I would recommend looking on Ebay for used sets people are selling. I quickly looked and found sets for about $50.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I did the 12 week programme before Christmas, and it is an AWESOME workout!

You get either 10 or 14 DVDs and a book and programme to follow. You can do a 9 week prep schedule and then depending on how many DVDs you received, choose from the 12 or 20 week programme. I think there's a 5 day 'fuel the fire' starter thingy too.

The workouts are sit into different types, there are pure cardio workouts from 30 min to 55 (or 60, if the extended programme). She has a 'new to class' option which breaks down the moves for you, and they're worth doing until at least you get to grips with the style.

There are HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts from 15 to 30 min, which are explosive plyo type workouts (think some of the jumping moves in 30ds)

And there are core / toning / sculpting workouts where you use resistance bands.

There is also a 10 min stretch programme to do after each workout and a 40 minute one to do.

It's a very varied programme, but extremely enjoyable. I lost a lot of inches, I didn't lose much weight.

Hope that helps.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I've done Jillian as well and am about 6 weeks into TF now and I much prefer TF. Try ebay - you'll certainly find it cheaper than from the manufacturer.

It is high impact at times but know that you can modify the movements to your needs - I have problems sometimes with my knees so I just don't jump as high or push as hard on those days, but it's still a killer calorie burn and so much more fun than anything Jillian has done! Chalene is amazing and so upbeat and supportive, even through a DVD! I was lucky and able to borrow the program from a friend but even if I'd have to pay for it, it would be worth it because I've seem incredible increases in my cardiovascular endurance from the HIIT workouts especially.

The workouts vary from 15 minutes to an hour - depending on where you are in the schedule. Here's a link to the schedule online: http://turboreview.net/turbo-fire-schedule. The number in the class title is the approximate length of the workout.

I'm not following the schedule exactly so know you can also make changes for what works for your schedule.

If you give it a try, there are a few Groups here that are doing the program and you should join one to get the extra support of people also doing the workout.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting this workout collection for awhile now. Looks like fun but a great workout at the same time. my husband said he will get it for me soon :) Cant wait!!!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Love Turbofire and I usually hate work out DVDs and American hosts (being from the UK, it's just too peppy and 'you go girlllll' for me) but love Chalene. Been doing it (and variations of it) for almost a year now :)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing my 1st week and I am IN LOVE. Mine is the longer advanced schedule... 20 weeks, so this program is nice and long and totally worth it!
  • akyraj2006
    akyraj2006 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TURBOFIRE!!! it is the best workout i have ever done!! i love the music, the fast pace, and i definitely love Chalene Johnson!! she motivates you throughout the whole routine and if you really focus on the routine, you really feel as though you are in the same room with them!! I RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE! it is fun but it is a challenge. Don't be scared of the challenge tho. You can do it, you just have to Push yourself!!!
  • brookef81
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I needed to hear that and I did not even think of Ebay, so I will look there.

For those of you doing it already, what have your results been, if you don't mind sharing. I know that losing weight takes time, but it is nice to see results for motivation.

Thanks again!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a beachbody coach!
    I like Turbo Fire for Cardio. The workouts aren't that bad for beginners....and mistakes burn calories too :). The music is fun and makes the class go by pretty fast. I usually burn around 250 calories for the HIIT and 450 for the longer Fire workouts.
    I also do Chalean Extreme for weights when I am working out at home. Those workouts are around 35 minutes.
    I did not like 30 Day Shred. I thought it was boring, tedious, and I didn't get the amazing results that I have seen others have.
    Chalean is upbeat and perky and encourages you to do your best through positive reinforcement.
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It is by far the best workout I have ever done! I have been doing it almost everyday since Nov. 7. I lost 8 pounds from then until Christmas..then hit a plateau..so I started Rockin Body..lost 3 more pounds that week, was back up 1 last week..and so I am going to hybrid TurboFire and Rockin Body this week.
    It is a very high intensity faced paced workout, but there is a girl on each tape, Allie, and she does a moderated version so if you want to go slower or not jump..you can just follow her. You might want to go on ebay and order a TurboJam to try it first..It is a slower version of TurboFire and there are lots of them on ebay for $8-15 each.
    Nice thing about the dvd's is once you get the routines down, there is an option to make the music louder, but the instructor, Chalene is not annoying at all. She actually makes you feel like you can keep going.
    There series has cardio dvds, Fire 30, 45, 45 EZ, 55EZ..and EZ doesn't mean Easy..still can't figure out what that means. There is a stretch 10 on each of these, too. There are the HIIT 15,20 and 25. These are meant to speed up your metabolism by 9x and they say to never do it 2 days in a row. These are Fire drills all the way through..Really high intensity drills..one minute, then one minute rest. There is also a Core and Sculpt workout in the dvd's too.
    The music is really fun in all of these and you will really have fun with them.
    There are some basic moves that you use in most all the dvds, like jab, hook, uppercut, plus front, back, and roundhouse kicks. She has a move called high/low which is punch high then low, my favorite and she uses it a lot. They are all like a combo right side, mini combo, same combo left side, mini combo again then some fire drills thrown in there.
    My results have been amazing (maybe not 10 pounds in a month, but definitely noticeable and down 1 pants size)...you will probably first notice losing inches off your back/waist. I have lost 3.5 off my waist :)
  • xXHeatherRaeXx
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I needed to hear that and I did not even think of Ebay, so I will look there.

For those of you doing it already, what have your results been, if you don't mind sharing. I know that losing weight takes time, but it is nice to see results for motivation.

Thanks again!

With my first round, I lost 9 pounds and 12.5", BUT (and this is a big BUT) my diet wasn't in place. I was trying portion control and not monitoring calories. This time I'm keeping full track of my calories and have lost two pounds (official weigh-in isn't until Tuesday though) in my first week of my second round.

I don't have a heart rate monitor, but the general consensus is a burn of about 10 calories per minute, which is what I'm logging on here for exercise and it's not hurting me one bit guessing that burn so I can eat back my exercise calories.
  • xXHeatherRaeXx
    Options
    I wanted to add, this girl is in my friends here and her TF results were phenomenal!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/257221-and-guess-what-pics-included
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that is so helpful!!!

I am a bit worried as my schedule changes day to day unexpectedly...but I will commit to doing it the best I can!

It sounds great...I can't wait to try it!