Zumba

Options
Hey all! I have heard awesome things about Zumba. I am pretty overweight and extremely uncoordinated. Is Zumba an all ages/all shapes and sizes type workout or will I be stuggling to follow along and keep up? I just don't want to pay the money to do it and then not be able to have the full benefits of the class. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Replies

• kwilkins1989
    Options
    I love to dance and, unfortunately, my gym does not offer Zumba. I received the Zumba videos as a Christmas gift and I love them. If you are uncoordinated, I would recommend purchasing these videos instead of going to a class only because the videos offer a tutorial called "Zumba Basics" where they break down each move so it is easy to follow. As far as I have understood, the classes are quite fast-paced and can be difficult to follow, but if you choose to attend a class just keep moving and you will still get a fantastic workout!
  • corrinf1979
    Options
    Hi I'm also overweight and very uncordinated and have done Zumba classes, most people are that busy watching what there doing and there mistakes that noone notices what anyone else is doing. Try to get a friend to go with you you'll have a great time
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a Zumba Gold class. It's not as fast paced, but you still get a great workout and its lots of fun! They have it at my local YMCA. Good luck!
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    Try the Zumba for Wii...tracks your calories burned etc! Just do the short classes or one dance at a time each day or few days to build up..I threw my back out doing too much too fast:( but it's awesome!
  • stephlou90
    Options
    It is absolutely brilliant!
    I bought it for xbox kinect (because i daren't go to a class!) but it is so much fun, and high energy so you burn so many calories just doing an hour.
    Good luck, keep it up! :D
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    I love Zumba. I am pretty overweight, and not in great shape, and can't always keep up, but I find I get a really decent burn as long as I move. My class is full of people of various sizes and abilities and my instructor mainly focuses on having fun. I do the zumba toning which incorporates weighted maracas and regular dance zumba. Most places will let you try a class free so you should see if one in your area offers it. I highly suggest it and can't say enough good things about it!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have wii Zumba and its ace! Great way to start off and when you know the basics you can start a class. I may not do the moves perfect but I get a wicked calorie burn. Can't recommend it enough! X
  • TomsGirl86
    Options
    I also love the zumba wii :)

If you go to some classes, like anything else, it'll probably take a couple of classes to completely get into the swing of things, but if you just throw yourself into it and don't worry about anyone else, you'll get it soon enough.

If you're someone that feels a bit self conscious, i'd start out with some home dvds or the wii game until you feel a little braver.

I don't think you'll be wasting your money though. A lot of places let you pay per class...if you don't enjoy it you can try something else, but as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained xx
  • shelley234
    shelley234 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi i love zumba it is such a great and fun way to get moving. Im not that great with coordinated, but the instructor i have is great she breaks down the moves and does them for a couple of weeks before doing another set so u get used to them.

Give it a go u will enjoy it, especially if u like a boogy.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love to dance and, unfortunately, my gym does not offer Zumba. I received the Zumba videos as a Christmas gift and I love them. If you are uncoordinated, I would recommend purchasing these videos instead of going to a class only because the videos offer a tutorial called "Zumba Basics" where they break down each move so it is easy to follow. As far as I have understood, the classes are quite fast-paced and can be difficult to follow, but if you choose to attend a class just keep moving and you will still get a fantastic workout!
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've only been to one class but so far, I love it! They're sooo much fun, I'm going to another class at 2 today
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    oops,,,exactly what kwilkins1989 said.. I attend the classes regularly but still miss some of the moves...as long as you are moving in the class...it is such a fun atmosphere..every age, size and ability you can imagine..you miss the move-you just laugh and catch up..it is an awesome calorie burn..my hair is literally soaked after every class..and I'm not alone :)
  • LadyZNW
    LadyZNW Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great for all ages and all sizes. i am extremely overwieight myself I have been to classes as well as owning the games
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I got the Zumba game for the Kinect on Xbox and I love it! You can start with the beginner's 20 minute class and that is what I have been doing. I have also done a couple of the classes at the local gym and people are so busy doing the moves themselves that no one will notice you. Do what you feel comfortable with.
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    I would recommend dragging a friend along with you to a class - they are great fun! Don't worry about being unco-ordinated, as someone else said - everyone is too busy doing their thang to worry about looking at the new girl! Talk to the instructor beforehand if you can, that way he/she might be able to show you a few moves, and what they mean when they are cueing. (I don't have a headset, so rely on non-verbal cueing to indicate whats happening next). It might take a couple of classes to get the hang of it, but most people who come back after that initial class are hooked!

If you can stand up and you can hear music then you can do Zumba! My classes are fulled with mainly older/middle aged ladies of all shapes and sizes (my eldest is 62 and needs knee replacement surgery), and they just do what they can do, and they've learned to just keep moving if they can't quite manage to do exactly what I'm doing!

Have fun!
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    You can get Zumba workouts on YouTube for free! I've done some of the actual Zumba workouts..but they aren't as fun as the one's I've found on YouTube. You can only find 2-4 minute ones but you can put them all together on a list and play them all at one time. You can find them with the latest songs to and they are so much fun! This is how I Zumba and I wouldn't waste money on a video (no offense) but if I can get it for free...why not!? :)
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Zumba is awsome! It is for all ages, sizes and variations of coodination. I as well started Zumba heavier and i have no coordination, stick with it and then you'll eventually fall into the groove! I strongly consider giving it a try. Most places your first time is free and you can pay per class as well!
    good luck!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I tried Zumba a few times but didn't think I got the same intense cardio workout as spinning or circuit training.

I'm uncoordinated and that may be why I didn't feel the same burn. But, to each his own. And yes, there are people of different shapes, sizes, backgrounds, etc.!
  • jessibee
    Options
    Absolutely try a Zumba class!! A lot of gyms will let you try a class for free before signing up for anything. If you just keep moving even if you aren't quite getting the steps that's ok. If you continue going you will learn the steps in no time and it's such a fun and high calorie burning workout. Zumba is the only thing I can truly stick with in terms of a consistent workout and I have it for kinect, DVDs, and have done classes. When I move soon I'm going back to gym that offers all zumba classes for$15 a month. For me classes are more motivating then doing the DVDs or kinect but those are still fun! Try it and I bet you will love it!
  • ShalisaClam
    Options
    Just got Zumba for Wii this weekend...I have two left feet, and two left hands!! lol It was fun and can't wait to do it again tomorrow! I am extremely overweight as well.... but I think it's going t be a good one for building up endurance. Good luck.