days off of diet?

Options
I have heard that if you set certain days to "splurge" a little bit then it will help your weightloss.... What are your thoughts on this???

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its an excuse created by those that arent really serious or by those that are not in a hurry
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Don't diet.

Just make lifestyle changes, ones you would be happy to continue forever. Far easier, and far more likely to stick with it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I lighten up once in a while. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I don't ruin everything I've done all week but I'm not going to stop living. I do believe some use it as an excuse. But as long as I get right back to it, it's fine for me.
  • willaj78
    Options
    Just eat small portions of food. Don't put yourself on some extreme diet becuase when you go off of it, the weight will come back.
  • VeronicaAlamri
    VeronicaAlamri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a "free day" every week. I don't think it's an excuse to not be serious on my diet. If I've wanted chocolate all week and I have done good, then I treat myself to a little chocolate. I don't over do it and overeat but I do allow myself to have some sweet stuff I wouldn't normally be eating. You know your body. If you feel like a splurge day would be bad for your weight loss, don't do it. There are healthy alternatives. I eat special K bars. They are really sweet and only 90 calories a bar. After a while, you will notice you don't crave sweets as much as you used to though.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you set certain days to "splurge" a little bit then it will help your weightloss.... What are your thoughts on this???

I think it CAN be helpful for some people in some circumstances and I think it can also be an excuse for others.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its an excuse created by those that arent really serious or by those that are not in a hurry
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    IMO too many people are in a hurry... it's not necessary nor is it healthy to lose weight in a hurry.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Studies increasing suggest that deprivation diets are difficult if not impossible to maintain with a healthy mindset. So I agree- rather than diet, just try to make healthy swaps and use calorie counting to keep you in loss mode.

That being said, with a calorie deficit, it is beneficial to get a higher amount of calories sometimes so your body doesn't learn to operate on the lower amount. I also found it makes me less cranky.

Try keeping everything in moderation- even splurges.
  • Lunea
    Lunea Posts: 9
    Options
    I think it's good thing to give yourself a day off, but that doesn't mean that you can eat for two. It's better once in a while have something you want than trying to keep yourself away from it all the time and later lose control.
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    if u lose too much too fast, you could gain it back. it takes time. i dont splurge or go off a day, i exercise every single day, but i dont by any means restrict myself too much. if i want a piece of chocolate and my calories allow it, i will have it...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I eat above the goal I set for myself occasionally. Not because I feel I need to, but because I am human...I have weaknesses that I occasionally succumb too. Too often the "having a cheat day" topic comes up on the boards and I'm going to have to agree with some of the others here and say it's too often used as an excuse. Just be honest about it.

You have a problem.
    You like to eat
    You eat
  • JCam8383
    JCam8383 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP all week and on fridays I fast during the day (only eating a yogurt for lunch) and then I have whatever I want for dinner (within reason) that way I still stay within my calorie/fat limit but at the same time can still enjoy some of the more unhealier foods. I also try to exercise a little everyday instead of just 5 days a week, even if its just playing the WII or going for a walk.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The entire process (if taken seriously) is a lifestyle change not so much a diet. I view it similarly to smoking. Some people can quit cold turkey, others need the patch to gradually reduce how much they smoke. And, it often depends on if they were a pack a day smoker or a social smoker. Weight loss is similar. The poor habits formed that causes weight gain, typically form over time and in some cases, certainly not all takes time. The purpose of my lecture? Try what works for you. Some people can go without it others use it as motivation. You may not need an entire day, but may be a just a meal. Also, test and decide how you will define “splurge”. Is it a meal, wrong in every way; fat, sodium etc. Or is simply going over your cals, but still keeping it clean. All that will make a difference.
  • keithdaleturner
    Options
    I've found it works for me. I can still lose 1 to 2 pounds per week setting one day as a "free" day. I usually make Saturday or Sunday the free day. I don't do it every week, sometimes every other week. But I still think it's a good thing to do now and then because you don't feel deprived. I don't agree with the theory that a "free" day off from a diet is just and excuse for those who are not serious. I'm serious about my diet. I weighed 220 four years ago and now way 167.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I've found it works for me. I can still lose 1 to 2 pounds per week setting one day as a "free" day. I usually make Saturday or Sunday the free day. I don't do it every week, sometimes every other week. But I still think it's a good thing to do now and then because you don't feel deprived. I don't agree with the theory that a "free" day off from a diet is just and excuse for those who are not serious. I'm serious about my diet. I weighed 220 four years ago and now way 167.

over 4 years you lost 1.1 pound a month. thats good if you are ok with that.

feeling deprived is a self inflicted state of mind.
  • fatmoo1
    Options
    I have a day off each week a trainer at the gym said its fine too and can even boost your weight loss for the next week
  • elsalily
    elsalily Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Studies increasing suggest that deprivation diets are difficult if not impossible to maintain with a healthy mindset. So I agree- rather than diet, just try to make healthy swaps and use calorie counting to keep you in loss mode.

That being said, with a calorie deficit, it is beneficial to get a higher amount of calories sometimes so your body doesn't learn to operate on the lower amount. I also found it makes me less cranky.

I totally agree with this reply. If you never had the things you liked, your diet or changes in eating habits would be much harder to maintain, expecially in the long run.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this reply. If you never had the things you liked, your diet or changes in eating habits would be much harder to maintain, expecially in the long run.

I totally agree with the above! If I totally deprive myself of things like dark chocolate, I will lose self control and binge on them. I allow myself a couple small treats every day and still lose weight and have learned to really enjoy those few small bites:smile: And I do allow myself splurge days, at least one big one every couple of weeks. Then right back to it the next day.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lighten up once in a while. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I don't ruin everything I've done all week but I'm not going to stop living. I do believe some use it as an excuse. But as long as I get right back to it, it's fine for me.

Totally agree!