3lbs on!! Could this relate to giving up smoking?

Options
I have tracked religiously for 5 days and at 1200 cals per day I have managed to only go over once. I have pretty much met the nutritional targets and have eaten loads of healthy veg and lean protein...the last 3 days have been spot on!! So were did that extra 3lbs come from???? Very strange....I can only assume body going into revolt having been so undisciplined for the last couple of months. Well I'm not giving in....I will persevere!!

One question.....does stopping smoking effect your metabolism at all.....I have done that too for 2 months now....just wondered!

Replies

• MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My dr. told me that smoking could effect your metabolism. She estimated that it was about 200 calories a day. I believe it had to do with increased heart rate after smoking. Maybe try to exercise an extra 100 calories or so and give yourself a few weeks to even out?
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For starters, body weight can fluctuate 5lbs daily without us noticing much difference. Secondly, nicotine definitely boosts metabolism and blunts hunger. Its a great drug to get into if you're wanting to lose weight...besides the whole cancer side effect. Smoking also seems to dehydrate the body as well, so the extra 3lbs could be just water weight. Many people, myself included, have seen a weight gain after quitting. Its just something more you've got to overcome.
  • Kilotango55
    Options
    Thanks guys...really didn't know it had any affect on metabolism....definitely need to up the exercise then....I really need to get the weight off to complete the healthy me this year!!