favorite seasonings and spices

Options
rphoppy
rphoppy Posts: 10 Member
new here, looking for some seasonings preferably heart healthy ones,that others enjoy. any ideas appreciated. i like SPICY!!!!

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: spices!

Favorites:

Dill (for spinach), black pepper (fresh ground you can't really beat it, it's just great), cilantro, coriander, cumin, and cardamom is great for sweet stuff. Cinnamon is another favorite (one thing I love is to slice an orange and put cinnamon on the slices). And Cayenne (though if you're going for spicy, there are also some amazing hot sauces out there, just vinegar and peppers, also great for you). Chipotles (in the little can with the adobo) are also AMAZING, just put them in some beans (or anything I'd assume) and they make them just great.

All of those are healthy in different ways, garlic is another standard and it's great for you, too. Turmeric is another extremely healthy one (so is ginger, which is related, and you can actually use ginger to enhance the taste of cinnamon, which is really the only way I like it, just not a ginger fan for some reason.)

Favorite Combinations:

Mexican: Cayenne, Cumin, Oregano, Garlic.

Morroccan: Cayenne, Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon, Garlic. (I'm addicted to this, really. I put it in/on everything)
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. Last night, I made burritos with lentils and seasoned them with cumin, chili powder and oregano. Tasted fantastic! Then we added chili pepper flakes for some heat. :)

Mexican: Cayenne, Cumin, Oregano, Garlic.
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I love : Garlic, pepper, nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon. I don't know if this counts as a spice, but I love to add red, greeen, and yellow pepper. I love banana peppers, piclkles, and black olives.
  • lotte24601
    lotte24601 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In easy-to-find world, a pinch of cayenne pepper heats up just about anything.

I, personally, put curry in everything: eggs, salad, potatoes, a pinch in whatever cooking liquid I'm using . . . I have a few different curry powders (sweet, hot, saffron heavy, etc) to help keep things interesting.

Besides that, I'd suggest finding your local spice store (near me, it's Penzeys; Google will know what's near you). Go in and wander around, sniffing the sample jars until you find something exciting. You might fall in love with something you didn't even know existed, and finding new ways to cook with it will keep your brain and your palate excited.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also eat black pepper on almost everything I eat, and nutmeg in eggs/omelette. Cinnamon is my favourite flavour for treats (I drink a lot of cinnamon tea too), and I put it on apples and oatmeal.
  • amarmic
    amarmic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a bottled seasoning...try Mrs. Dash. There's zero sodium and they come in some great flavors. The Southwest Chipolte has some spice!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    garlic. you're telling me there are OTHER spices?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Well... I love salt. But that's a huge problem, obviously. So I'm trying really hard to stay away from seasoning mixes that contain salt. (Like my favorites: Lawry's, lemon-pepper, garlic salt, etc.) I just recently bought a giant container of original flavored Mrs. Dash from Sam's club. It is seriously THE BEST. I add it to everything. I even put it on my salad last night and it was phenomenal. Heart healthy AND tasty. There ya go. :wink:
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle salt free Cavender's on everything that enters my mouth. YUM
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's lemon pepper seasoning grinder, as well as their Smoked Sea salt grinder.

Also love the Lighthouse freezedried spices, especially red onion, garlic, basil, oregano, jalapeno and green onion when I am out of fresh - closet to the fresh you can get!
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Like others, I'm also a huge fan of plain garlic and also fresh-ground black pepper. I found that I don't really miss salting my morning egg. Black pepper provides plenty of flavor. I'm actually amazed at how much salt I used to think everything needed. LOL
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Smoked paprika. I could not love it more! Delicious on boiled eggs, fish, and in grain & veg salads. Really good in chili too.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Lawry's Citrus Basil and Garlic
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    curry and garam marasala i think is how it is spelled i put it on everything lol
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love to use crushed red pepper. I have no idea what their health benefits are though =/
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love to use crushed red pepper. I have no idea what their health benefits are though =/

it's hot so it speeds up your metabolism
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This is the best company ever for spices -- http://www.frontiercoop.com/prodlist.php?ct=spicesaz

They have many blends make without salt. Their extra spicy chili powder is incredible (a little will do you as it is super spicy). Their spices are fresh and you can get many organic. I found them when looking for no salt options and have been ordering from them for a few years now. Definitely worth a try if even to just get the chili powder (their Mexican seasonings are great too).
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

it's hot so it speeds up your metabolism

yes, but only at a small increase.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/health/nutrition/28real.html
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I love spicy too and I use crushed red pepper A LOT! I also like cumin on most of my meats. An all around spice I like to use is Mrs. Dash. It comes in original, salt free, and all kinds of other combinations like onion, garlic mix and even a mix for grilling. Its like a season salt except better! I forgot to add Lemon Pepper. Not sure which brand I use. I think its McCormick, but its especially good on salads and chicken :-)