1200 calories

Options

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    mfp says to eat 1200 calories.. but i cant eat that many! and im not reallly lossing weight! then i exercise and it gives me more that i really dont eat! i dont know what to do! please help!
    So we forgot how to eat ?

OK, go to McDonald's and order 2 Cheeseburgers.
    Eat them.
    Mission accomplished.

Or eat a bowl of cereal or anything. Discipline cuts both ways.
    Eat more or you fail more than likely.
    Eat too much and you fail.

MFP sets these limits for a reason: HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS.
    What good is it to go from fat to skinny fat?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Don't panic...eat ONLY when you feel hungry! Try to eat every couple hours, snacks and small meals. Make sure you get fruits and veggies in. I'm NOT eating the calories that I work out... EVERYONE does different with this, just go with what works for YOU. If you are honest with yourself and keep track of everything, and not starving yourself, you should do fine!

that is true.. only eat when you are hungry. Your body knows what it needs and when it needs it so if your not hungry don't eat!

This is false. Ghrelin (hunger hormone) is a crazy thing. just because your stomach isn't growling does not mean you are getting all the nutrients you need.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but odds are you can eat 1200 calories. Else wise you wouldn't be here.

You won't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet with exercising, because you've increased the deficit and your body will retain what it gets, because it thinks you're in a famine. So, eat and eat healthfully when you feel hungry. Think of it this way; if you don't eat, you'll gain weight and your metabolism will slow down (especially with the added stress of exercise - which you're not eating enough to maintain). If you eat, you'll perform better at the gym or where ever you're working out and you'll lose that weight.

This ^

I wouldn't mind betting you are actually eating substatially more calories than you think and thats why you aren't losing. Check portion sizes on pre-packed food, weigh your ingredients, count the oil you use for cooking, sugar for your coffee and all your drinks. 'Starvation mode' or not, if you are eating less than your calorie requirement you WILL lose weight (even if you believe the starvation mode theory, it just means you would lose a bit more slowly).
  • VeronicaAlamri
    VeronicaAlamri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is easy to eat if you aren't starving yourself. Even eating healthy, you should still be right at 1200 calories a day.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are eating things like grilled chicken breasts, fish, or lean steaks or something. Great sources of protein and have good calories but are low in carbs. If you drink protein shakes, and fruit, milk, yogurt, or cottage cheese to them for extra good calories and protein. Again, be sure that you are logging EVERYTHING you intake. Even if you eat like 4-5 m&m's, log them!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think it is more of a mental block honestly. You do not need to starve to lose weight. Your body composition will look better if you eat more.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting read.... :happy:

Question: I have been told that when I eat too little, my body goes into starvation mode to protect itself, and that it will slow down my weight loss. Is this true and how can I avoid starvation mode?

Answer: Many weight loss coaches use the term “starvation mode” to describe your body’s natural response to protect itself when you don’t eat enough for extended periods. When you regularly eat too little food to provide your body with the necessary nutrients, it perceives itself to be in danger from starvation. Since your body is wonderfully designed to protect you, it will slow down your metabolism to conserve energy so it can keep vital organs such as the brain and the heart going for as long as possible in the face of the perceived threat. While it will burn fat for fuel, it will also start burning lean muscle mass for fuel, which will slow down your metabolism even further. People on starvation diets invariably find that they regain all the weight they’ve lost (and then some) very quickly as soon as they start eating again.

While a starvation diet may help you lose weight quite fast in the short term, you will pay a heavy price because you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of weight problems. Your metabolism gets progressively slower with each day you remain on a starvation diet. This resultant slower metabolism needs less fuel, so you consistently have to eat less and less to lose weight! As your metabolism slows down even further and your lean muscle mass dwindles you will also find that you become more and more tired. This in turn means you will get less exercise, which leaves you with less lean muscle, and an even slower metabolism. It really is a vicious cycle. The importance of protecting your lean muscle mass to boost your metabolism can not be stressed enough.

The question arises: when does your body go into starvation mode? As with anything that involves the human body, there is no one single answer that will be true for everyone. The levels at which starvation mode kicks in vary from person to person. What we can do though, is understand how it gets triggered so we can avoid getting our bodies in that state. Your decision of how much to eat should be based on your individual Total Daily Energy Requirements, which takes into account a variety of factors including height, weight, age, gender and activity levels. If you want to lose weight safely, without setting off the alarm bells in your body; aim to eat approximately 300 – 500 calories less than your total daily requirements. This will provide your body with enough fuel to keep it going comfortably, but will still create a sufficient caloric deficit to ensure that you lose weight. To protect your metabolism even further, make sure your diet contains enough protein and that you maintain / increase your activity levels.

Note. You will find that many experts advise you not to eat less than 1 200 calories per day to prevent starvation mode. This is just a general rule of thumb to provide advice in the absence of enough information. To be safe, get your individual Total Daily Energy Requirements calculated, and follow the advice above.
  • nutteranna
    Options
    can i also add that my best friend is 'overweight' but she probaly eats 300 cals tops a day and i know this for a fact, so this rubbish people have said if your finding it hard to eat 1200 cals you woudnt be here, also i used to eat loads believe me i used to be a sze 22 (uk size), now i am a 12-10 dress size, i really struggle to eat atm but have to push myself to get to 1200 cals and even when i do that i feel sick, for example this mornig i had porrige and i tried to make myself eat it (i did eat it) i really struggled and now feel sick but i know i have to eat so i don't go into starvation mode as i want to maintain my weight loss till i am the right weight for my height etc...
    btw this is just my opinion bassed on my experiances
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I think it is more of a mental block honestly. You do not need to starve to lose weight. Your body composition will look better if you eat more.

Sunshine used to say she cant eat that many calories....
  • Chriztii
    Options
    No idea how you can't eat that many calories haha! I'm on 866 today already and that's just breakfast and lunch! I guess i just love my food :(
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Firstly -shock that you can't eat 1200 calories. My guess (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you've gone from eating small (heck, possibly even large) high-calorie meals to eating the same size (??) lower-calorie (potentially healthier) meals. Does that sound right? If that's the case and you're eating less because you don't like the taste -that's a different question all together.

Secondly -log everything (EVERYTHING) you eat. Calories build up fast (often without realising it).

Thirdly -if you're looking for high calorie food you could try things like: avocado, bananas (or other fruits -you'd be surprised how many calories are in fruit!), fruit/vegetable juices, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, rice, beans, dark chocolate, peanut butter on toast, milk.. the list goes on and on, and on.. maybe try implementing a few of these things (e.g. glass of fruit juice to breakfast/lunch, or 1/4 of an avocado in your sandwich, or snacking on a mix of dried fruit/seeds/nuts/dark chocolate in the middle of the day) into your daily diet if you are struggling to meet your goal.
  • JeanaLK
    JeanaLK Posts: 10
    Options
    So just basically listen to your body & eat back burned calories only if your hungry. Also eat a lot of proteins. Correct??
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So just basically listen to your body & eat back burned calories only if your hungry. Also eat a lot of proteins. Correct??

thats what I do.
    Make sure you are above your BMR always.
  • reneeramirez4christ
    reneeramirez4christ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what you're body requires to function. That is the amount of calories you should be eating. If you are eating less than that, you are starving your body. This will cause some serious long term issues in the future. It is important to have a well balanced diet as well. It can't just be about losing the weight it MUST be about being healthy. Starving your body slows down metabolism and puts your body in starvation mode where it seeks to find survival. Carbs are essential as they produce glucose which is what our brains need to function properly. The only way we can get enough glucose in our system is through carbohydrates. Make sure they are healthy, but eat the proper serving sizes, of all the food groups.
  • laughingatchu630
    laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try to add good high calorie foods to your diet. Add olive oil to soups or salads, eat peanut butter. If I haven't met my calories I'll eat celery with some peanut butter and maybe some raisins. It's hard at first but once you get into a routine it'll be easier and you'll start to get hungry
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting read.... :happy:

Question: I have been told that when I eat too little, my body goes into starvation mode to protect itself, and that it will slow down my weight loss. Is this true and how can I avoid starvation mode?

Answer: Many weight loss coaches use the term “starvation mode” to describe your body’s natural response to protect itself when you don’t eat enough for extended periods. When you regularly eat too little food to provide your body with the necessary nutrients, it perceives itself to be in danger from starvation. Since your body is wonderfully designed to protect you, it will slow down your metabolism to conserve energy so it can keep vital organs such as the brain and the heart going for as long as possible in the face of the perceived threat. While it will burn fat for fuel, it will also start burning lean muscle mass for fuel, which will slow down your metabolism even further. People on starvation diets invariably find that they regain all the weight they’ve lost (and then some) very quickly as soon as they start eating again.

While a starvation diet may help you lose weight quite fast in the short term, you will pay a heavy price because you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of weight problems. Your metabolism gets progressively slower with each day you remain on a starvation diet. This resultant slower metabolism needs less fuel, so you consistently have to eat less and less to lose weight! As your metabolism slows down even further and your lean muscle mass dwindles you will also find that you become more and more tired. This in turn means you will get less exercise, which leaves you with less lean muscle, and an even slower metabolism. It really is a vicious cycle. The importance of protecting your lean muscle mass to boost your metabolism can not be stressed enough.

The question arises: when does your body go into starvation mode? As with anything that involves the human body, there is no one single answer that will be true for everyone. The levels at which starvation mode kicks in vary from person to person. What we can do though, is understand how it gets triggered so we can avoid getting our bodies in that state. Your decision of how much to eat should be based on your individual Total Daily Energy Requirements, which takes into account a variety of factors including height, weight, age, gender and activity levels. If you want to lose weight safely, without setting off the alarm bells in your body; aim to eat approximately 300 – 500 calories less than your total daily requirements. This will provide your body with enough fuel to keep it going comfortably, but will still create a sufficient caloric deficit to ensure that you lose weight. To protect your metabolism even further, make sure your diet contains enough protein and that you maintain / increase your activity levels.

Note. You will find that many experts advise you not to eat less than 1 200 calories per day to prevent starvation mode. This is just a general rule of thumb to provide advice in the absence of enough information. To be safe, get your individual Total Daily Energy Requirements calculated, and follow the advice above.
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Not sure if I'm posting correctly. But thank you for the information above.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but odds are you can eat 1200 calories. Else wise you wouldn't be here.

You won't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet with exercising, because you've increased the deficit and your body will retain what it gets, because it thinks you're in a famine. So, eat and eat healthfully when you feel hungry. Think of it this way; if you don't eat, you'll gain weight and your metabolism will slow down (especially with the added stress of exercise - which you're not eating enough to maintain). If you eat, you'll perform better at the gym or where ever you're working out and you'll lose that weight.

Need nutritious ways to get more *calories: eat avocados, have a banana with peanut butter as a snack, add veggies to all meals, have some honey with your tea and eat some nuts with dried fruit.

You can have the foods you like in moderation and that'll definitely help get your counts up. Don't lose hope.

yup.
  • JeanaLK
    JeanaLK Posts: 10
    Options

thats what I do.
    Make sure you are above your BMR always.

Was not even thinking about that. Never even heard of it until you mentioned it & I looked it up lol. So how would I go about making sure I am above it??
  • swood0114
    Options
    When I first started on here 3 weeks ago, I came so so close to posting the exact thing. Honestly just wait it out for a couple more days and you will be STARVING and want every single calorie you can possibly have. Once your body realizes what's going on, it's going to let you know.

Note that I lost no weight my first 2 weeks... I'm upping my calories now to account for exercise and hopefully it works better.