Has anybody done weightwatchers?

Options
I have quiet a few friends who have done weight watchers and lost alot of weight. I was thinking about joining them but was wondering if they were really worth the money. Has anybody who has done myfitness pal tried them? THe reason I ask is because I was wondering if they were just the same as myfitness pal?

Replies

• clairelane1982
    Options
    I have done ww many times in past and lost about 3stone each time but put it back on again......

The first difference is MFP is free... WW in GB costs about £5.00...
    MFP is easier to track and log... WW you have to calulate the points value of everything.

Me personally feel that i caould be more suscessfull using MFP than i was using WW.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    WW taught me healthier eating however with the new point system I gain.

I find more support right here for free. =)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Have been WW Online member since 2003 and still am but I like this site and if it continues to work out I will cancel my WW membership. I initially lost 50 lbs with WW Online (cheaper than meetings and it is on your schedule) but gained most of it back. That was not WW's fault it was mine. No matter what site you use, if you don't use it, you will fall back. The advantage here is that it is free and calculates your net calories. Pretty similar to WW Online so I think this will probably be my place.
  • WiiWiiWii
    WiiWiiWii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love it. Been on it many times in the past... I am on it now, even after Lap-Band surgery. Their nutritionist are really up to date on everything...I just rejoined a week ago and I've love 7 pounds. Currently the PointsPlus program focuses on protein, fruits, veggies and fiber. Encouraging you to eat protein, by allowing more of it (which curbs your appetite), allowing Fruits and Veggies on an unlimited basis, etc. It's a good program right now... I like it a lot. They really put a lot of thought into the PointsPlus. I'd recommend it... Oh, and it's so affordable. I use to be a weight loss consultant and Jenny, and that works too, but very expensive. I prefer WW.
  • Kilotango55
    Options
    I have done WW and calorie counting.....have lost weight with both. I think WW is good if you need the group support at meetings...the online community is just like this one. The points system is working out healthy values for you...but to be honest it isn't too hard to work out what is good for you by following the nutritional guidelines listed in the diary. one of the main differences with calorie counting is that you don't have to then convert it all into points....so just reading the packaging gives you the info you need so no excuse for not tracking!!

I think its whatever rocks your boat.........for me this free site is fab and to be honest I think it is as good as Weight Watchers site or WLR.
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WW is the first diet I ever had success on. I lost 75 pounds and kept it off for about 10 years. I would join again if I had a friend to go with me and the money to pay. Instead of just calories, Points are based on calories, fat, and fiber. There are staples that you have to do such as calcium, veggies, water ect. but you can eat anything you want as long as you don't go over and get your staples. I love that MFP is free and there are lots of similar support so I'm def loving this app. My favorite though is that when you complete your diary you get a weight if you keep within your calories. So motivating!
  • gonzang
    gonzang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've done WW twice before and lost a lot of pounds, but I never committed to exercise. To be honest, I think the food advice is ok and the support is good, but I needed more than emphasis on food and nutrition. I think MFP is enough on its own and maybe better because you can get more attention to nutrition and exercise (and, as other ppl say), it's free.

Not to discourage you from going for it, because it might be exactly what would work for you, but I don't think WW does enough for the cost.

Good luck!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing WW, both online and at meetings. I just started on January 4th and it was through their community forums that I learned about MFP. After checking out this site I decided to use both sites until the end of February and see which one I like the best. I joined MFP a few days ago and so far I like it very much. This site is such a bonus because it is free! It also has a few things that WW does not, so we will see.
    You made a great start...keep it up and you will reach your goals!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i was having the same problem

• ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i did ww on the old plan and lost over 30 pounds and kept it off (until i got preggers). the new plan i was struggling big time. i was barely loosing weight. then gaining it back and some. i was so frustrated. I tried mfp as a trial and i lost almost 3 pounds in the first week. i have since quite ww and am sticking to this plan. Bonus... this is free and i agree much better support o here.
  • joandhan
    Options
    i did it 10 yrs ago with the old points system.... online so didnt go to meetings... i lost 5 stone, and have kept it off since then, which is why i only have 7lbs to lose now, im just trying to keep my weight off with this site, it helps to do something new sumtimes, so now im calorie counting instead of pointe counting, just for a change
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have done ww many times in past and lost about 3stone each time but put it back on again......

The first difference is MFP is free... WW in GB costs about £5.00...
    MFP is easier to track and log... WW you have to calulate the points value of everything.

Me personally feel that i caould be more suscessfull using MFP than i was using WW.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS

Why spend money needlessly?
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Weight watchers looks a bit pricey....only Janet Jackson can afford it......(sorry, I'm a cheap *****)
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have done WW several times before and lost weight and put it back on. I find there is more support here. I also find it easier to track everything here.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have never done WW. But, have many friends that have had great success. Many have done the online WW. Not sure but, I think actually going to the weekly weigh in and meeting might make you more accountable.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have quiet a few friends who have done weight watchers and lost alot of weight. I was thinking about joining them but was wondering if they were really worth the money. Has anybody who has done myfitness pal tried them? THe reason I ask is because I was wondering if they were just the same as myfitness pal?

I've never been to any of the real-life weight loss clubs personally, but have heard very good reports back from friends who have been.

I think a certain amount of success in weightloss can often (though not always) be attributed to the support a person has and the people they surround themselves with. This is one of the reasons why MFP and, indeed, WW, are quite successful.

With WW of course, you go to their meetings in real life, talk face-to-face with people going through the same thing etc, you also have advisers there if I have it correctly?

Definitely worth a try!
  • newme201213
    newme201213 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i joined once in WW...but i feel MFP is free and there is no point in spending money if you stick to this website..you will find more people here to motivate you free of cost...
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    I lost the first fifteen of my weight on WW then they change to the new system last November and I did not adapt well to it. I lost ten more pounds after that mainly watching calories and other fad diets. I put 15 back on and here I am. Now lost almost 8 again.

I prefer MFP because one, it's free. It's expensive enough to eat healthy that I need that low cost. When I originally joined WW I was the heaviest I had ever been and I honestly needed that shame in going to weigh in public and going to meetings. I did enjoy the meetings but I was never a good WW person just doing the online version. I needed that accountability.

Now? I know what needs to be done and I have MFP "friends" here that I know watch what I eat and workout and provided accountability. And I have found that MFP is more of a lifestyle for me vs always counting points and such. And it's a rare day that the food I am eating isn't in the database vs. the WW database which sucked.

Another bonus is that I want to SEE the nutrients. MFP gives that to you. WW just gives you Points. I think it's much more empowering to see what exactly is going in your body than an arbitrary number.

Long post but my two cents.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I did ww online before discovering this site - I prefer mfp & of course there is the bonus of it being free. I think meetings might be good, if that's what suits you but I couldn't commit to going each week.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options

Im on WW now, and discovering this out, im eating more healthy, and loosing weight, but yes it costs and MFP is free, i dont think i'll be with WW for much longer?? :smile: