Anyone LOSE weight after eating alot of carbs?

I'm a vegetarian and have been my whole life. Whenever I eat foods high in protein I have stomache pains, bloating, constipation, etc. and when I eat over 45grams or so of protein my weight stays the same. When I eat low protein and high carbs-pasta, breads, potatoes, etc. I lose! And the constipaton and bloating goes away.

I have taken food enzymes, which help, but my stomache always feels "not right" when I eat too much protien.

I should also note I eat about 30 grams of fiber a day.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Then keep eating that way. Carbs alone do not cause weight gain. You can lose as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Are you eating a lot of beans/lentils? Those can give me a stomach ache occasionally.
  • Yes, I haven't found that a low carb diet does anything for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Then keep eating that way. Carbs alone do not cause weight gain. You can lose as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Are you eating a lot of beans/lentils? Those can give me a stomach ache occasionally.

^ agreed, although never eating more then 45g of protein a day seems a bit low, if your ticker is right, you're getting around .4g per lb
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Ive lost 41lb so far eating my carbs..
  • WiiWiiWii
    WiiWiiWii Posts: 10 Member
    I would ask your doctor why you cannot process proteins.

I do not think you can gain just by eating carbs. I do think carbs contribute to hunger and protein does the opposite.

High fiber can produce abdominal pain as well...
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Carbs are supposed to be 50% of your diet... complex carbs that is!! 100% whole wheat, fiber, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables... I have an 8 pack eating 50% carbs :P Complex carbs help you lose weight
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Do what works for you. Some people lose weight easily eating a lot of carbs, especially if it includes a lot of fruit and veg. I usually go over on my carbs (I have mine set at only 40% though) but that is because of all the fruit and veg, nuts, seeds and some wholegrains. I think the only problem you might have is if you had a lot of processed white carbs (white bread and pasta etc). Carbs are NOT bad but there are "bad" carbs (well, less good ones at least). If a high protein/low carb diet doesn't suit you then stick with your higher carb diet. If it's working for you, stick with it. Everyone is different. What works for one person won't necessarily work for the next :flowerforyou:
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    I'm also vegetarian. I lost weight last year by eating a ton of fruits, vegetables, beans, whole wheat bread and tofu last year. Most of my food are carby but it works for me. Fruits and vegetables have a lot of carbs and fructose but they are good for you.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Oh, I've never tried going low carb or thinking carbs make me gain weight- its just odd that I lose up to 1 pound after eating carbs the night before. O_o

Yeah, I've considered seeing a doctor. It's just ridiculous. And eggs? Forget it!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Macro's don't really have much effect on my weight (fat) gain. Too many carbs in one go it make me bloat, but I don't get constipated/stomach pains. I'm fine on high protein, it helps with lifting. That's about it.

I've always been around 200+ carbs a day and have lost weight, provided I was in a calorie deficit. As Sunshine said; carbs alone don't make you gain :)

If eating a certain way makes you feel better though and you're still losing, keep on with it. BTW when you say 45g of protein do you mean in a day? I've never heard of those sort of problems with it, but maybe spacing your protein out throughout the day might help? Like 10-15g per meal, so it's easier to digest? Just a thought :)
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Yeah, I tried the low carb thing, and it did nothing for me. Didn't effect my tummy at all but I would just CRAVE CRAVE CRAVE (and give in) I loose weight fine eating carbs, everything in moderation and keep a calorie deficit, does the job.
    Although, i'm not a big pasta or bread eater and i will have a protein shake after an intense workout.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 396 Member
    I'm with everyone else: do what apparently works for you and makes you feel better. However, as another person said, I would see a doc and just check to be sure there isn't a troubling medical reason that you cannot process protein. Not that there necessarily would be, but I would want to know for peace of mind, as you can tell it's a little unusual.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    I wonder if your body produces less of these enzymes because you have never eaten meat....

Don't know what to tell you except to try different protein sources to see if some work better than others. Maybe over time your body will produce more helpful enzymes that will break the proteins down more efficiently.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    When I was vegan, and working at a pizza place, I pretty much lived off of carbs. I ate so much spaghetti, it was positively shameful. Yet I lost a full pants in the three months that I worked there. It's definitely not weird :)
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Try eating low protein in each meal, not lumped together, and a vitamin b would help ur body process the protein.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Think veggies, greens (lots and lots of greens!),
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Also at whole food stores or vitamin shoppes u can get vegan protein now.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Do whats working for u. Like glenr79, complex carbs
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Your individual body chemistry may like carbs. If so, you will do best on them as a high % of your diet. You can and will lose wieght jsut fine. This whole nutritoion thing is not "one size fits all". Some do great on high protein, some do great on high carbs some need a mix. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs. If you are experincing things like sweet cravings, you are out of balance. We all need all 3 macronutrients but is different proportions for our individual biological and nutritional requirements to feel best.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Everyone's DNA is different. I lose fairly easily by eating pretty balanced. I eat about the same amount of everything. I'm set at 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat. So everything is pretty even. I always have a carb, protein, and veggie at my meals. Sometimes it's not balanced in my meals but it spreads out through the day. There is no meal I don't eat that doesn't have a carb. This morning, I had a belgian waffle I made. For lunch, I'll have some pasta with chicken and spinach. Dinner will be half a tuna sandwich with some green beans. Snack was greek yogurt and the other half of the wheat bun. My main sources of carbs are: steamed white rice, multigrain pasta, oatmeal, wheat buns or bread or bagel thins, wheat tortillas, sweet potatoes, and various other veggies: I really like peas and corn, but don't eat them too often, 'cause I'd rather eat a sweet potato if I'm going to spend that many calories on a veggie, lol.

I tried cutting my carbs down and not eating so many, but I got serious carb cravings BAD, and I would want BAD carbs like white pasta and white bread, so I make sure to keep healthy carbs in my diet, and I'm typically fine.