BIGGEST LOSER AT WORK?

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Curious to see if anyone else has done a "biggest loser" competition at work. I just joined a contest with 17 co-workers and the way ours work is $10 per person to join, contest duration is 8 weeks. Each pound you gain, you have to put in a dollar towards the pot, so far we started out with $170 pot and now it is up to $200 with 5 more weeks to go.

They are not going off of number of lbs lost but instead, percentage of body fat loss.

Kind of sucks because during the first week my friend and I both lost 2 lbs each and she is 5'3 130 lbs and I am 5'7 started at 174 lbs and her body fat percentage registered at 0.66% loss and mine registered at 1.15% body fat loss even though we both lost the same amount of lbs...so then I started to realize...crap...that means the people in the contest who are much larger than I am may have lost only one pound but they are registering as first, second and third place winners at this time because their percentage is showing up higher. Which means I would have to lose 20 lbs to someone elses 10 lbs just to break even on percentage...oh well.

The weight loss for me is more of the reward than the money, if I win then good if not then I still fulfill a goal. 5 more weeks to go, wish me luck!

Oh and how does your contest work if you are in one at work or with friends, etc.

Replies

• I am doing the biggest loser at work. Ours was a $50 entry fee and the pot is $550! We are doing it the same way, based on % lost instead of lbs lost because it is more fair that way. We started on 5/26 and we end on 7/27, 8 weeks long. So far I am down 4lbs but Aunt Flo visited me this week, so im hoping next week it will be even more once the bloat goes away! It's been great motivation for me and I even forced myself to the gym last night because I knew if I didnt go, I would be losing $ lol.

Good luck to you!
  • pannellkat
    I am doing the biggest loser at work. Ours was a $50 entry fee and the pot is $550! We are doing it the same way, based on % lost instead of lbs lost because it is more fair that way. We started on 5/26 and we end on 7/27, 8 weeks long. So far I am down 4lbs but Aunt Flo visited me this week, so im hoping next week it will be even more once the bloat goes away! It's been great motivation for me and I even forced myself to the gym last night because I knew if I didnt go, I would be losing $ lol.

Good luck to you!

lol same here I just kicked Aunt Flo to the curb yesterday so maybe when I weighed in last week it should have been less than what the scale read because of my added water weight/bloating etc. I will be gyming it tonight and hit the sauna as well, weigh in is tomorrow!
    And wow, that pot is awesome. This is the second one we are doing, the first contest (I wasnt in it) The pot was over $1000 with 12 week duration. GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    I started this where I work. It was great motivation. We did it exactly like y'all are doing it. We did not do teams, though. It was "to each his/her own" and we started with $20 to participate and $1 per pound gained each week.

However, make sure that whoever is "in charge" of taking and recording everyone's weight has a couple of back up people. I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BRING THIS UP AT WORK. Why? Well, it just so happened that on the final day of the competition, I was not at work because my son was involved in a very bad auto accident where he broke his neck. I haven't been back at work since. Anyway, thank God, my son will be fine. He is definitely blessed. He has no paralysis, no nerve damage...I mean, he is literally walking away from this accident. God is Great!

Anyway, back to my point. Needless to say, there was this one guy (isn't there always "one" :devil: in every group) that was actually pissed because I was not at work to do the final weigh-ins! ! ! Never showed any concern or sympathy for what had happened, on Easter Day no less! He made a huge stink about it for everyone else. :sad: :sad: I actually had to leave the hospital and go finalize the weights. Needless to say, he lost. :sad: :explode:

I am a strong supporter of these competitions at work but I'm not sure if I'll do it again where money is involved. People change when there is money involved. We had 18 members and he is the only one who was upset. Next year, we plan on doing it for a prize of some sort. Not sure what yet. Just make sure that you have a couple of back up plans for the end of the competition.

Good luck!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Curious to see if anyone else has done a "biggest loser" competition at work. I just joined a contest with 17 co-workers and the way ours work is $10 per person to join, contest duration is 8 weeks. Each pound you gain, you have to put in a dollar towards the pot, so far we started out with $170 pot and now it is up to $200 with 5 more weeks to go.

The weight loss for me is more of the reward than the money, if I win then good if not then I still fulfill a goal. 5 more weeks to go, wish me luck!

Oh and how does your contest work if you are in one at work or with friends, etc.

Good luck!:drinker: I think that each contest is probably just separate. You know, each have their own rules, stipulations, etc. Just treat the two as one and just go for it! Good luck!
  • Kind of sucks because during the first week my friend and I both lost 2 lbs each and she is 5'3 130 lbs and I am 5'7 started at 174 lbs and her body fat percentage registered at 0.66% loss and mine registered at 1.15% body fat loss even though we both lost the same amount of lbs...so then I started to realize...crap...that means the people in the contest who are much larger than I am may have lost only one pound but they are registering as first, second and third place winners at this time because their percentage is showing up higher. Which means I would have to lose 20 lbs to someone elses 10 lbs just to break even on percentage...oh well.

I think you calculated your friend's % wrong... if she weighed 130 and lost 2 pounds then her % would be more like 1.5% If someone weighs more than you, they would have to lose more to match your % lost.
  • pannellkat
    Kind of sucks because during the first week my friend and I both lost 2 lbs each and she is 5'3 130 lbs and I am 5'7 started at 174 lbs and her body fat percentage registered at 0.66% loss and mine registered at 1.15% body fat loss even though we both lost the same amount of lbs...so then I started to realize...crap...that means the people in the contest who are much larger than I am may have lost only one pound but they are registering as first, second and third place winners at this time because their percentage is showing up higher. Which means I would have to lose 20 lbs to someone elses 10 lbs just to break even on percentage...oh well.

I think you calculated your friends % wrong... if she weighed 130 and lost 2 pounds then her % would be more like 1.5% If someone weighs more than you, they would have to lose more to match your % lost.

I'm actually not the one keeping track of the body fat % loss, someone else is. I am just in the contest. The same person keeping track and sending the updates and loss percentages is the same person they used in the contest we had a few months ago and I think they may be using some sort of calculator or on line formula. But your right, I am now looking back at the emails and I was looking at someone else's percentage oops. I still dont get this whole percentage thing or how to calculate.
  • dbenson48
    dbenson48 Posts: 43
    Best of luck! Sounds like a win win situation!

They are not going off of number of lbs lost but instead, percentage of body fat loss.

• If you want to calculate for yourself, all you need to do is divide your weight lost by your starting weight to get your percentage 2 / 174 = .0115 or 1.15 %

Going by % of body weight loss make it a little more even since it is easier for someone that is 300 lbs to lose 2 than it would be for you. 2 pounds for that person would only be 0.66 % overall weight lost.
  • AmyT88
    AmyT88 Posts: 239
    I just joined the biggest loser we've got going on at work. I think this is the 5th round already. Ours is only 6 weeks long and only $6 to join. We have just started the "team" thing. It's pros vs. joes (management vs. "pee ons") I believe we're keeping the individual winner for each week (who lost the biggest percentage of weight). That person gets a $10 gift card. With the team thing, each week we're adding up the total percentage of weight loss for each team. The "winning" team with the higher percentage gets to have the "losing" team do something for them. All of the "punishments" are things such as bring a healthy breakfast or lunch, dust their computer, delivery 2 glasses of water, all things to help continue the weight loss. Today was just weigh in day but I'm really excited. Especially since I was given this website by a friend at work. I really hope it goes well!
  • AmyT88
    I could see how the $$ could change people. Ours is just a $6 fee to start and that's so the winner every week can have a gift card of $10 and what ever is left at the end is given as cash (I believe) and we get a t-shirt that says we're the biggest loser. Ours has been very much supportive but at the same time has a bit of competition to it so it helps those that like to compete.

Glad to hear your son was ok after the accident.
  • AmyT88
    I started this where I work. It was great motivation. We did it exactly like y'all are doing it. We did not do teams, though. It was "to each his/her own" and we started with $20 to participate and $1 per pound gained each week.

However, make sure that whoever is "in charge" of taking and recording everyone's weight has a couple of back up people. I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BRING THIS UP AT WORK. Why? Well, it just so happened that on the final day of the competition, I was not at work because my son was involved in a very bad auto accident where he broke his neck. I haven't been back at work since. Anyway, thank God, my son will be fine. He is definitely blessed. He has no paralysis, no nerve damage...I mean, he is literally walking away from this accident. God is Great!

Anyway, back to my point. Needless to say, there was this one guy (isn't there always "one" :devil: in every group) that was actually pissed because I was not at work to do the final weigh-ins! ! ! Never showed any concern or sympathy for what had happened, on Easter Day no less! He made a huge stink about it for everyone else. :sad: :sad: I actually had to leave the hospital and go finalize the weights. Needless to say, he lost. :sad: :explode:

I am a strong supporter of these competitions at work but I'm not sure if I'll do it again where money is involved. People change when there is money involved. We had 18 members and he is the only one who was upset. Next year, we plan on doing it for a prize of some sort. Not sure what yet. Just make sure that you have a couple of back up plans for the end of the competition.

Good luck!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

I could see how the $$ could change people. Ours is just a $6 fee to start and that's so the winner every week can have a gift card of $10 and what ever is left at the end is given as cash (I believe) and we get a t-shirt that says we're the biggest loser. Ours has been very much supportive but at the same time has a bit of competition to it so it helps those that like to compete.

Glad to hear your son was ok after the accident.
  • AmyT88

I think you calculated your friends % wrong... if she weighed 130 and lost 2 pounds then her % would be more like 1.5% If someone weighs more than you, they would have to lose more to match your % lost.

I'm actually not the one keeping track of the body fat % loss, someone else is. I am just in the contest. The same person keeping track and sending the updates and loss percentages is the same person they used in the contest we had a few months ago and I think they may be using some sort of calculator or on line formula. But your right, I am now looking back at the emails and I was looking at someone else's percentage oops. I still dont get this whole percentage thing or how to calculate.

We're doing our contest on the honor system. We have a scale at work that every one uses so it's the same weight. (A lot of people have started making the adjustments to their weights at home to match the scale at work) We're allowed to calculate our own % of weight lost. That way no one has to know how much you actually weigh. Any one that wasn't sure how to calculate the % of weight lost asked someone so we're all doing it the same way.

That has to be a lot of work for one person to be in charge of calculating and tracking. I'm glad no one has to do that job for us. One person (who started it) just makes the tracking boards and e-mails people to sign up. Much easier!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I do home daycare so would the challenge be against myelf....no matter what happens I win! Wish it was the $250,00 they win tv:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    I wish we could do this at work but I'm pretty sure it's illegal at my work.. :grumble:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    You don't need to lose ANY pounds in order to lose body fat. I spent the last month in a plateau or so I thought, scale didn't drop at all... but i went down a size in clothes, my body fat percentage (measured at the gym) went down several points). So not sure how they're measuring it, but it should be in a way that if you don't lose any weight but build your muscles, you will lose body fat.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    You don't need to lose ANY pounds in order to lose body fat. I spent the last month in a plateau or so I thought, scale didn't drop at all... but i went down a size in clothes, my body fat percentage (measured at the gym) went down several points). So not sure how they're measuring it, but it should be in a way that if you don't lose any weight but build your muscles, you will lose body fat.

That is why I stopped watching Biggest Loser for awhile. Becuase they use percentage of body WEIGHT not body FAT, you have a better change of winning if you are heavier for this reason: A woman that is 5'10" and weighs 300lb really shouldn't lose more than 150lb (50% of body weight). A woman of the same height that weighs 400lb could healthly lose 250lb (62.5% of body weight). At the same time I understand that it is much easier to understand a percentage of a weight than the percentage of losable body fat percentage lost which would be much more equitable.

I think my inner nerd is showing...:blushing:
This discussion has been closed.