"You're losing weight too fast!"

Options
I've heard this from numerous people in the past week.
Yes I have lost 24.8 pounds in 15 days....
*sigh*
First of all, I started out at 398! I was, and still am morbidly obese. I had made excuses for years about being sedintary. I let my own skin dictate my health. (that's another story for another time)
Anywho, Now that I'm up and moving and working out, my body is adjusting and yes, right now I'm losing weight quickly.
I'm NOT doing this in an unhealthy manner.
I eat healthy, usually within a 200-300 calories of what MFP suggests.
I drink my water.
I workout.
That's it.
No secret forula. No lies.
I know this will slow down when my body gets used to it. I'm ok with that.
But for the time being instead of accusing me of being unhealthy (when In reality I'm the healthiest I've EVER been), why can't my friends just be happy for me?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are generally the quicker it will come off for awhile. Unless you are not eating the right amount of calories that MFP tells you to eat, I wouldn't worry about it. It will definitely slow down.
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    3532gl.jpg
    *nods*
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're losing pounds fast, but it isn't possible to lose fat weight that fast. You were probably retaining more water than you thought. Eating healthier, with less sodium, and exercising more, will help mobilize that water. Once you've caught up on that backlog, you'll settle into the slower, steadier loss of fat. You may have lost 4-5 lbs of real fat in this time, and will continue to lose at that rate.

The great thing is that your body is automatically healthier NOW, even though it will be months before you hit your goal weight. Just being on the journey gives you a lot of the benefits of reaching the destination.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    stick to your plan :)
  • amhuerta
    amhuerta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't let those people bring you down. I think it is awesome what you are doing by changing and losing weight, getting exercise and living a healthier life. You are doing so great and you keep it up. If those negative people don't want to be encouraging and change their lives for the better also then spend less time around them. The people that love you and truely care about you will lift you up and encourage you and support you. Again great job and if you need a friend or support you are more then welcome to add me:smile:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Until my doctor finds something happening with me that isnt going very well with the weight loss, she isnt going to say anything at all. There were weeks I had 3lb losses every week, then a whopping 5lb loss, then back to 2lb/3lb per week. My kidneys are fine, my liver is fine, cardiac function is fine.. nothing wrong with me at all and my blood work came back GORGEOUS!

I tell people "until you have MD after your name, you have no say in the matter"
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    don't listen to other people. l lost in just over a year, 133lbs. you know if you're doing it the healthy way or not. stick with it.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of weight but you have a long way to go. Just thank them for their concern and stick to your plan. You're doing great!!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    3532gl.jpg
    *nods*

hahah thisss<3
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've heard this from numerous people in the past week.
    Yes I have lost 24.8 pounds in 15 days....
    *sigh*
    First of all, I started out at 398! I was, and still am morbidly obese. I had made excuses for years about being sedintary. I let my own skin dictate my health. (that's another story for another time)
    Anywho, Now that I'm up and moving and working out, my body is adjusting and yes, right now I'm losing weight quickly.
    I'm NOT doing this in an unhealthy manner.
    I eat healthy, usually within a 200-300 calories of what MFP suggests.
    I drink my water.
    I workout.
    That's it.
    No secret forula. No lies.
    I know this will slow down when my body gets used to it. I'm ok with that.
    But for the time being instead of accusing me of being unhealthy (when In reality I'm the healthiest I've EVER been), why can't my friends just be happy for me?

I am on your side!!! good for you, keep going and don't slow down, don't worry about there opinion, if it feels good to you and your not in pain, rock on!!! I am dealing with the same crap from a different topic, they keep telling me to eat more food, why??? i keep telling them i am not hungry!!!
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options

I tell people "until you have MD after your name, you have no say in the matter"

This goes for lots of other things besides weight loss as well.
  • MakeMeHealthy
    Options
    Thats amazing that you have lost that weight! Im so happy for you. I dont think you are losing weight too fast. :wink:
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was told that too. But I know the first week when u are morbidly obese it drops fast. And the bigger you are the more you lose at the beginning.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

This goes for lots of other things besides weight loss as well.

Aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I appreciate the feedback!
    I feel better.
    And now I'ma eat some lunch ^__^
  • janadaley
    Options
    Good for you!!! Keep it up! As you said, it will be natural to lose more weight in the beginning and will slow down. You are doing fabulous and making the right choices for you! Don't pay attention to naysayers!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options

^^^this
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You're losing pounds fast, but it isn't possible to lose fat weight that fast. You were probably retaining more water than you thought. Eating healthier, with less sodium, and exercising more, will help mobilize that water. Once you've caught up on that backlog, you'll settle into the slower, steadier loss of fat. You may have lost 4-5 lbs of real fat in this time, and will continue to lose at that rate.

The great thing is that your body is automatically healthier NOW, even though it will be months before you hit your goal weight. Just being on the journey gives you a lot of the benefits of reaching the destination.

This.

Don't forget to include jealousy though. They may be trying to lose weight also and doing it as quickly or successfully.

Corny phrase I know but "Don't hate the player, hate the game."
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I want to tell people "Which is more unhealthy, losing the weight responsibly or being obese?"

Keep doing what you are doing! Congratulations!
  • MsMarketeer
    MsMarketeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Keep up the GREAT work!!!! You're not losing weight too fast, you're losing water and gunk that just happen to show up on scales. As you maintain good fitness and nutrition, the fat will depart, and build lean muscle... yes, once you get the water weight (remember carbs hold 4x their weight in water), it will slow down, but maintain your momentum!

Another thing...other overweight people tend to be jealous of your success and may not be so enthusiastic as you lose more and more weight. Have a solid support system in place and dont rely on women (we can be brutal). When I lost 60 pounds, the people who were my biggest cheerleaders were the guys at work. My experience with women was not very positive...and in some cases negative!

YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!!!!