My Before and After (and where I'm going)

Options
99clmsntgr
99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
Early in July I posted a "one year difference" post with photos from the July 4 5k in 2010 and 2011. I tried to find, my search skillz are poor, so no link to that post for you :ohwell:

But ....BUT! I had the opportunity to get another before/after photo and decided to take advantage of it. This past weekend we (me, the wife, the kids) spent some time with my sister and her family at the happiest place on Earth. They were down from Ohio, we caught them on the last full day of their trip to Disney World and decided to explore the Magic Kingdom together. Since we had agreed to do the character lunch at the Crystal Pavilion, it set itself up perfectly for a Tigger-riffic before and after.

Desktop.jpg

The pictures on the left are from March, 2009. I can't really remember if I had started to lose weight from my high point by then or not, so "somewhere on the plus of 300 pounds" is about as accurate as I can get. I know my high point was in April 2008, somewhere around 340 pounds. I wish I had better, planned out before photos like some posters do, but I don't, and I'm not willing to gain all the weight back just to get them :wink:

The picture on the right is 2 days ago.

I started using MFP on January 3 of last year. That's when things really started to click for me. I've discovered in the past year that I can lose weight without giving up any particular food or food group. I've found that I like green vegetables, particularly broccoli. I've found I really like running (really, really).

My next goal is going to be to add about 5 pounds of muscle, particularly to my chest and arms (my legs are f***ing fabulous, if you ask me). And I actually think this is going to be difficult for me. First, to gain muscle I know I have to eat a surplus of calories, but I struggle to reach my maintenance calories in a day, even with the scoop of ice cream in the evening. I'm "happiest" around 1800-1900 calories, MFP tells me to eat just under 2100. So there's a new thing to work on. Second, I just don't like the strength training stuff as much. I like the running because I've found I'm pretty good at it. I don't like the strength training because, frankly, I'm not that good at it. Hopefully, as I stick to it, that will change.

So here's to another year and continued success. And here's to the MFP friends and community for inspiring and supporting me. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you all!

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Congratulations!
  • WOW! Looks like a different person, congratulations!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You look terrific! Great job and congrats on your weight loss.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    U look amazing well done
  • amywils77
    amywils77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think the following word best sums it all up......WOW! Congratulations. You are an inspiration.
  • nanasudo
    nanasudo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Simply amazing. Congrats!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    wow!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Wow... amazing! You barely look like the same person. Good luck on your future goals :)
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment! Keep up the great work!!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You look great. Good job.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow man, great job! You don't even look like the same guy.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Ah, that's the one. Thanks!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! You can really see all of the hard work you have done!!
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Amazing job bro!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Abso-fricken-lutely awesome. Well done on all your success!
  • chase160
    Options
    Congratulations! You are looking great and oh how wonderful it must have been to be at Disney instead of here freezing with the snow on Long Island. You mention that you don't do strength training because you are "no good at it". Sounds like you can get "good at" whatever you put your mind to. Look what you've already accomplished! Nobody's good at strength training when they start. I walked around with a book going from one weight bench to the next until I got a grasp on what I was doing. Start just with the circuits and eaves drop on the personal trainers at your gym... believe me, you will learn very quickly and gain confidence real fast. Then head for the free weights when you are more comfortable.I've found that most people working out at the gym are more than helpful if you just ask. Give it a try. I am anticipating your next photos. Hats off to you!!:happy:
  • Lyndzer
    Lyndzer Posts: 41
    Options
    Wow!! awesome! you look great!
    keep up the good work! your strength training you will get better at, as your body gains muscle who knows maybe you will find you enjoy it after awhile!

thanks for sharing your story, I love seeing success's it inspires me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!