Anybody else a student on here... that spends hours studying

Options
Hello one and all,

I am a masters student so my days are spent staring at my Macbook or simply keeping chairs (or sofas) warm for hours whilst I try to cram in some revision. Once a week (on a Sunday) I do a MASSIVE workout worth a whole week's of exercise but most of the time I am basically sitting on my *kitten*, which is just simply getting bigger and bigger.... My new years resolution was to defo try and move more but with the uni and studies, it is quite hard!
Is anyone else in the same boat? I would love some feedback / tips or comments and feel free to add me for mutual student-to
-student support!

:)

Thanks for reading

Big fat *kitten*
xx

Replies

• SynicalEnvee
    Options
    I definately know what you mean -well sort of. I'm not a master's student yet so my courses aren't that vigerous. I'm a college freshman taking 15 credits towards my AAOT. That said I spend a lot of time on my hiney as well. This is what I've done and maybe it'll work for you to.

Purchased an Ipod touch. I know what you are going to say. Uhm.Wow.why? Its light portable and you can use the g+ editor to create flash cards.( Ipads are good too but bulky.) The reason for this is- instead of spending 4+ hours on our butts reading the material, you can put it into the g+ editor and study it when you walk. What I like to do is get on an ellipetcal (sp) and put it into the slot holder.(where you put your papers or balance books) then you can exercise and study. You can even balance your text book on there to get some reading done.

I also do short workouts _ 12-20 minutes long in the mornings. While it is recommended to do 60 minutes a day of cardio, doing 12 in the morning gets your body boosted and will help your metabolism. I try to schedule a time to walk 5 miles, and do 2 30 minute work outs. These can be spaced out to fit your schedule. Just make sure to warm up (doesn't take more than 5 mins) and cool down (same deal) to avoid startling your heart.

Other ways to include working out-

-Plank over text book. This allows you to read but also strengthens your abs
    -Mountain climbers over textbook (not directly over, you might have a hard time reading. Make sure you can read it and have space to do these)
    - Do 10 minute cardio and then 20 minute study..??

I hope this is beneficial to you!!
  • nmck55
    nmck55 Posts: 22
    Options
    hey!
    im a student too. not on a masters course but studying odp. so i work on placement 38 hours a week whilst working on a weekend and doing assignments too. i get what you mean about not having much time to exercise! im either too knackered from work or got a deadline approaching. but i have started getting up early on a sunday for a spin class and gym session and i walk everywhere to get moving more. i akso bought a cheapish foldable bike so i can cycle and revise or do research whilst cycling, so im not just sat or laying around all the time! its quite i good, i get stuck in my work i forget im cycling and can go for quite long!!
    hope some of that essay is useful lol!
  • aehenson
    Options
    I'm working on my masters too & for example have spent over 9 hours studying in the last 2 days. So b/n that & work & my relationship & family, my workouts have gone from 7 days a week to 3 in a good week. You can only do the best you can do though & it isn't possible to do it all!
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm in the last semester of my doctoral studies. It was a 3 year program, so..I know a little about sitting on your buttocks! We had 18 credit hours which lead to being in class from 8am-5pm, followed by studying til 1 am. Sheesh...its rough. What I would suggest is to take an hour every other day and go work out instead of doing a massive workout on one day. You have to leave time for yourself!
    I also always packed my lunch when i went to school, that leaves out the temptation of eating out. Even when I went to the library I would pack healthy snacks (apples, oranges, pretzels...etc.)
    I also started to order skinny coffee drinks because lets face it..sometimes we just need caffeine.

If you need anything else let me know! Go ahead and add me too :)

Good luck!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    if you have a good workout PLAN before you go to the gym, you can get a complete resistance workout in 45mins or so, only 3 times a week.
    you have time for that... because if you're dedicated to it, you'll make time.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a student too, a full time manager, and a wife! So I understand how rough it can be to fit everything in. I'm far from perfect but I find that if I get up early enough to go to the gym, I can always get a workout in that leaves me energized throughout the day and makes studying easier. I belong to a gym that's open 24 hrs Monday through Friday, and 7 to 7 Saturday and Sunday, and they have a 30 minute workout I like to do. It's Planet Fitness if you're interested :flowerforyou:
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am a doctoral student and I am working on getting my dissertation going. I spend large chunks of time writing. I also have two small children, so I try to schedule work time and family time, like you would with a job. I also kind of schedule my workouts, to make up for all the time I spend sitting. I feel less guilty if it is part of the plan for that day.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a law student and also have a 17 month old toddler. The simple answer is that it is definitely not easy lol. I have to literally plan each day, hour by hour to fit everything in. I now get up 1 1/2 earlier than I used to in order to get everything in. At the moment I am doing jillian michaels 30 day shred and the workouts are only 30 mins long so can be fitted in before breakfast or while you are taking a break from your studies.Its a dvd so you dont even need to leave the house. I also go for long walks at the weekend and it does you mind good to get some fresh air. Its hard work but when you really want the results you have to slot it in somewhere....good luck! x
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student working on a transfer degree taking 20 credits.
    My textbooks are my best friends.
    If Sol Y Viento: Beginning Spanish were a man we'd be an old married couple.
    I find that walking home from school is a great exercise, it's an hour walk and then you have your best friends with you adding some weight.
    And if you can't afford weights--textbooks.
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm a PhD student so it's not any better and I am aiming to work out 3x a week. I also walk everywhere. I did a very intensive MSc that involved many all nighters and 15h lab sessions, and it's sometimes hard to have free time. I would suggest planning exercising in your timetable just like you do essay writing, studying and revision.

Good luck!

(all you need is to make time for 20 min a day of exercise - from your bedroom or a brisk walk around the block is fine for starters and better than nothing).
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes I study, or am supposed to be studying a lot. So much time is spent in class though. I'm in medical school. I raise 2 kids alone. I love the Wii fit. It makes me look forward to workouts and I've lost 30 lb with that in the past 2 yrs. Two games on wii fit plus; free run and free step you don't need to watch the screen so I set up a music stand and put my notes on it.

I had a computer stand for the same reason, but it was junk... but anyway I can use the exercise bike, nordic track and wii while studying.

I'm in class so much. I just take the stairs to the restrooms during breaks and try to walk around outside if possible, even out to the parking lot, it adds many more steps to the pedometer.

I try to wake up earlier to do a little work out when I can. After years of looking I finally found a couple people to walk with one day a week and a couple other ladies I'm supposed to be calling about it.

More recently, I even getting so close to my goal weight, I've noticed that for me I do better with weight loss school and everything if I get enough sleep and eat healthy, even if that means I missed my work-out because I didn't want to stay up later. I carry little snacks and fruit also in my bag so I stay away from the food cart. Their food is actually healthy, but if you get anything besides salad the portion sizes are huge. Well, the salad is huge too...but cals low.

One other thing, esp. during mid-terms and finals, I borrow an empty room at school and have printed notes, which I just read and walk around in circles, sometimes for a couple hrs = work-out, studying done with out interruptions and relieve stress!!!
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Another student here! I'm a full-time university student in my final year. I spend a lot of time on the computer or reading (aka sitting) so unfortunately a few pounds have creeped on over the course of my studies. I gained the Freshman 15 and never lost it since.

I think the good thing about being a student is that we can always use the facilities (gym etc). My campus is located downtown and the different buildings are spread out so if kind forces me to walk a lot everyday. I have a yoga mat in my room that I use to work out to youtube workout videos (economical and saves space!).

I think the thing that really gets people is the coffee drinks...for example a large 24oz coffee double double (2 cream and 2 sugar) has more calories, fat and sugar than a mars bar. That ish cray! So yeah...I try to be careful with the snacking especially while reading. I can probably put away a whole bag of chips while reading because my mind is distracted so I don't realize how much I'm consuming. I've switched reading snacks for green tea.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your studies.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    PS Good job everyone, whatever boat you're in, in school. It takes a lot of work and $$$. Sometimes I wonder why things can get so hard, but I realize if it was easy everyone would do it.

See the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Also, maybe you're reading and not in school, so I'm not trying to be rude, I have had a few breaks in my education, but I have always had the dream to be a doctor so I'm trying really hard to follow that dream. So if your dream requires more education just keep it in mind and try to do what you will enjoy.
  • torijo57
    torijo57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Thank God, I finished, that is why I gained all this weight. I went to work and studied and repeat. I didn't have enough time to fit in anything else. Went through death in family, a broken leg, and taking care of my elderly mom. Now I'm done and trying to drop the lbs. and get health back on track. I was exhausted. Take care of yourself and good luck with the classes.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yep - another crazy student here. Im a nursing student and work full time too.

I fit exercise in because I love it - and not prioritising my health was what got me into this mess in the first place.

Good luck with it guys. Its not easy!!!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am also a Masters student, in education. Luckily, my program is geared toward current teachers so our classes only meet once a week for 4 hours a night. Unfortunately, the workload isn't lessened any more, so that's about as beneficial as it gets.
    Each class meeting counts for two traditional class meetings, and counts as full time courseload due to the shortened courses. Between teaching and school, and this semester's 160 Principal Practicum I am completing, I feel like I have very little in the way of a social life.
    However, I do still manage to go to the gym for an hour a day. Most days I just take my gym stuff to work and don't let myself go home until I've gone to the gym first. On Thursdays, it's admittedly more difficult. I work all day, go directly to class on the other side of town, get out of class around 9pm, and again, make myself go to the gym before I get home.
    While it isn't always that simple for everyone, sometimes you just have to make it your priority.

Someone above mentioned combining study time with your exercise time and had some great suggestions. As a graduate student, I'm going to assume you also understand the importance of balance. If you don't choose to use your exercise time to study, then use it to clear your mind rather than vegging in front of the television, or checking news/tumblr/FB/MFP websites periodically. Just get it done.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm in CEGEP doing a two year pre-university program. Although my schedule is not too crowded, I find it helpful to really plan everything I do. On my printed version of my class schedule, I wrote down exactly what hours of the day I dedicate myself to homework, work, lunch, AND working out. Writing it down precisely gives my day more structure and organization so it feels less overwhelming!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not a masters student, I know the feeling! I'm a paramedic student with 14.5 credit hours, a full time job, and I'm in clinical rotations full time as well. If I'm not in class, working, or on clinical, I'm studying. What I do is I take my books to the gym when I get the chance to go, or I use my mini-stair stepper at home and sit my book up so I can read and work out at the same time. Not much, but it helps some. Good luck everyone else! We can do it!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    One other thing, esp. during mid-terms and finals, I borrow an empty room at school and have printed notes, which I just read and walk around in circles, sometimes for a couple hrs = work-out, studying done with out interruptions and relieve stress!!!

This is genius. How have I not done this?!
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a medical student. There's always, always more study to be done, but I just kind of neglect it for a short while from time to time, as it's important to eat / sleep / have social time.

Exercise is so hard to fit in!
    I have done the whole running-on-the-treadmill-with-a-folder-of-notes-open-in-front-of-me thing.