Holiday Eating

Options
I've just started fresh on my weight loss journey & found MFP this month... so far, things are going well... but a week from now, I will be on holidays and will be eating out the entire time. I plan to try my best to make healthy choices, and to let myself enjoy a few holiday treats... but I'd welcome any tips you've got!

I'd like to try to continue logging in my food diary, even if it's just at the end of each day, so I have a record to refer back to... would it be a good idea to change my goal to 'maintain' while I'm away so I have a higher calorie count to work with? Maybe then I won't feel so guilty if I eat more (which could send me back to emotional eating....)? My current goals are 2lbs a week. TIA!

Replies

• FrauNic
    FrauNic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I don't if MFP has all those food listed and I won't be able to use my scanner. No time for exercise as well. I'm gone for 3 weeks, so that could be a real disaster!

I also would be greatful if any of you have some advises!
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    one more hopeful bump...
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Try just maintaining, and if you're under or over a little then don't worry about it. Always try to get some calorie burn in even if it's just walking. Hope this helps!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of H2O.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my own rule of thumb for holidays is "keep on logging as well as you can but don't feel guilty when you go over". just the act of logging makes me think about what i'm eating so i don't go too mad on the whole holiday indulgence thing. but it's not like i'm on holiday every day and i don't want to get stressed about my food intake 'cause i tend to take that attitude back to normal life which is not great.

but that's me working with my own triggers. you have to figure out what your own are.
    if you can take it without being stressed/guilty, i'd suggest leaving your goals where they are and tell yourself "these numbers are going to be red for the next week/however long, and that is ok". even switching yourself to a maintenance level is giving you a target that you are bound to miss sometimes (at least, if you are anything like me/95% of other people :) and i'd hate that to be a trigger for making you feel like you have failed somehow. and having that log of what holiday eating does/can look like is useful info for you too.