Losing fat while gaining muscle....

Options
and the diet for this?

I had started back up on here the beginning of December and due to several different factors, i.e. holidays, finals, sickness, and surgery, I haven't been using the site much. Though I have still be trying to eat on the better side and hit the gym. Both of which have fallen off over the last week due to oral surgery, but I'm on my way up and figure I can start back up tomorrow.

Anyways, back to my question. I'm not too over weight BMI is actually normal, just got a little extra I'm carrying around. I'm also not that out of shape. Definitely still on the athletic side. My goal is to drop the fat, while toning up. Before I took my leave of absence, I was eating 1200 calories (replacing calories burned while working out). But I was also doing between 40-60 minutes of cardio, plus strength almost 5 days a week. I was STARVING some days.

I read that to do this, I shouldn't cut calories, but eat clean. Is this true? Should I maintain between a 1,800 and 2000 calorie a day diet and just eat healthy?

FYI, I am 5'3 at 136 with an athletic build. Wearing between a 6-8 at the time being.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.. You either need to do one or the other.

To gain muscle you need to eat at a slight surplus and lift heavy.. to lose fat, eat a slight deficit and lift heavy... Make sure you get enough protein.

I don't think that you need to eat clean specifically, but it prob. couldn't hurt.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    and the diet for this?

I had started back up on here the beginning of December and due to several different factors, i.e. holidays, finals, sickness, and surgery, I haven't been using the site much. Though I have still be trying to eat on the better side and hit the gym. Both of which have fallen off over the last week due to oral surgery, but I'm on my way up and figure I can start back up tomorrow.

Anyways, back to my question. I'm not too over weight BMI is actually normal, just got a little extra I'm carrying around. I'm also not that out of shape. Definitely still on the athletic side. My goal is to drop the fat, while toning up. Before I took my leave of absence, I was eating 1200 calories (replacing calories burned while working out). But I was also doing between 40-60 minutes of cardio, plus strength almost 5 days a week. I was STARVING some days.

I read that to do this, I shouldn't cut calories, but eat clean. Is this true? Should I maintain between a 1,800 and 2000 calorie a day diet and just eat healthy?

FYI, I am 5'3 at 136 with an athletic build. Wearing between a 6-8 at the time being.

It is possible, but unlikely to happen for a relatively lean woman. Sorry

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    and the diet for this?

It is possible, but unlikely to happen for a relatively lean woman. Sorry

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

This is what I've been reading more of. That because I'm not that out of shape, it makes it that much harder. So, obviously with bikini season coming, I want to lose the fat. Should I only being doing cardio? Or can I continue to do my strength just with lighter weight and more reps?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "clean" (whatever that means).....

The others are right, you cannot do both at the same time- gain muscle and lose fat. I would recommend eating at a slight deficit (maybe ~300 calories under maintenance) and starting a heavy lifting program.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Should I only being doing cardio? Or can I continue to do my strength just with lighter weight and more reps?

Both. But heavy weight and low reps. Enough weight that you can complete 6-8 reps (not more) with good form.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "clean" (whatever that means).....

Eating clean for the most part entails no processed foods, only raw whole foods etc.

To OP:
    You do only cardio and you are going to lose all muscle that you have a long with the fat.

Do a mixture of both cardio and strength, eat at a slight deficit as carrieogg suggested and you'll be fine.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Should I only being doing cardio? Or can I continue to do my strength just with lighter weight and more reps?

Both. But heavy weight and low reps. Enough weight that you can complete 6-8 reps (not more) with good form.

Agree with carrie. Keep lifting for sure! Do cardio as you see fit. Just continue with diet and working out and be patient. Aim for losing a couple lbs per month.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's really only possible in the first 6 months of training, so it depends on what your exercise level has been thus far. Other than that, the best way people gain muscle and lose fat is by going through bulking and cutting cycles, but it may be harder to do as a lean woman.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is more difficult to do, but it is possible. And here's how.....

1. Ignore the scale. You will not lose significant amounts of weight on the scale if you are building significant amounts of lean tissue and losing significant amounts of fat. With this plan, they will be pretty close to the same on a monthly basis. Personally, I only lost 14 pounds in the last year, but I cut my body fat down by 15% which was a loss of 33 pounds of fat. The difference in what I lost on the scale and what I lost in body fat was the 19 pounds of lean tissue I gained.

2. Quit thinking water weight is bad. Yes, if it is water weight from a high sodium diet it is bad, but with the weight training you will do on this plan, you will gain water weight in your muscles to store extra glycogen that you will need for future training sessions and to stimulate the muscles to grow so that they can accommodate more glycogen storage later. So, if your ankles and hands swell, bad, but if your muscles get a pump, good!

3. WEIGHTS, WEIGHTS, AND MORE WEIGHTS!!!!! This is where the mantra "go heavy or go home" comes from. You want to do the maximum weight you can lift for no more then 5-6 reps per set and do 4-5 sets per exercise. This will give you strength increases and muscle and glycogen increases without focusing on the hypertrophy of the muscle. I recommend splitting it so that you are working 1-2 body parts per day so that you can do 2-3 exercises per body part and not be in the gym all day. You will need to do cardio on the same day as weights so that you get the fat burning in so don't plan so many exercises that you can't get both in the time you have to spend in the gym. If you only have an hour, 20-30 minutes of it should be weight training. Also, don't work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. So if you do a split, then you can do weight training daily and not over train the individual muscle groups by working them too close together.

4. Cardio AFTER weight training only! Do not go to the gym and just do 30 minutes on the elliptical. You're not going to get as much fat burning out of that as you would doing 15 minutes of weight training and 15 minutes of cardio following it. The reason is that during cardio the body will burn mostly glycogen at first and then switch to mostly fat burning at the 20-30 minute mark. If you do your weight training first, which can only burn glycogen, then you will have depleted some of the glycogen stores so you will switch to mostly fat burning faster with cardio. Also, if you go for really long durations on your cardio, you will get to a point where you start to pull from protein stores for energy which is a definite no no for maintaining lean body mass.

5. Stretch after your workout. It helps ease muscle soreness from the heavy weight training by telling the body to send the nutrients to the muscles that they need to heal the damage you caused.

6. Eat at maintenance or slightly under. The old advice to add 500 calories to gain muscle isn't accurate. When you gain by bulking like that, you gain fat too. The best way to maintain a fat loss while gaining lean tissue is to eat close to the maintenance level for your body and make sure you are getting the right amount of carbs and protein for your body.

7. Eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. (Yes, that's kilograms of body weight not pounds of body weight. The scientific studies on these things were done in kilograms not in pounds so anyone giving you a number of grams per pound is giving you a converted number that may or may not be accurate.) When your weight is converted from pounds you are 61.689 kilograms so 61.7 to 92.5 grams of protein per day.

8. Eat 6 to 10 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight per day. Personally, i recommend 8-10 grams per kilogram but some people prefer a lower carb lifestyle, so 6 grams per kilogram would be the lowest I'd recommend on this plan. The reason is that carbohydrate spares protein. Remember how I said you will pull from protein stores in the body (IE: muscle) if you go too long on your cardio? Same thing will happen if you don't have enough carbohydrates on board to be able to store enough glycogen for your workouts. So, keep the carbs but make sure they are the complex carbs and lots of fruits and veggies. Simple carbs can be used after your workouts to replenish glycogen stores quickly. At 6 grams per kilogram of body weight, you'd eat 370 grams of carbohydrates per day. At 8 grams per kilogram of body weight, you'd eat 493.5 grams of carbohydrate per day. And at 10 grams per kilogram of body weight, you'd eat 617 grams of carbohydrate per day. Yes, I know that sounds like a lot of carbs, but you will be doing lots of heavy weight training which will stimulate the body to store a lot more glycogen in the working muscles because you will be burning a lot more glycogen during your workouts, so you won't store those carbs as fat as easily as you would if you were just doing cardio and not increasing your body's need for carbs.
  • shimacrema
    Options
    Awesome advice @TrainingwithT
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this, so thanks for asking.
  • trudibus
    Options
    thanks for this just what I have been looking for
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Do not listen to trainingwithT. There are NUMEROUS reasons that her plan fails. Its a good start but is misguided on a number of points.
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    thanks! bump
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Do not listen to trainingwithT. There are NUMEROUS reasons that her plan fails. Its a good start but is misguided on a number of points.

And how do you know this? What credentials do you hold? If oyu're going to make a statement like this, back it up.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    She's close but I'm tired of people thinking there's a magic way for you to burn fat while maintaining, or gaining, lean body mass. There are only two ways this happens, one is at the beginning stage of fitness. This is where a person has very little muscle mass to begin with and lots of fats to burn. But eventually there's a plateau. The other way it can occur is with a cyclical diet. Whether that be daily, weekly, monthly, whatever. The body is designed to either gain weight with a calorie surplus or lose weight with a calorie deficit. Where those calories come from, or go, depends on your training. So if I'm eating at a maintenance, I won't gain or lose anything outside of the beginner stage. I don't want anyone here to think that its easy to gain muscle while losing fat simultaneously. Its not. That's all I was attempting to do. If you don't know the mechanisms that make this happen, I don't feel like taking the time to educate you. I merely don't want people to be misinformed.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    FOR MY RECORDS...REVISIT
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.. You either need to do one or the other.

To gain muscle you need to eat at a slight surplus and lift heavy.. to lose fat, eat a slight deficit and lift heavy... Make sure you get enough protein.

I don't think that you need to eat clean specifically, but it prob. couldn't hurt.

Are you sure about that, 'cause I could swear I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm losing weight and wearing smaller clothes, but my muscles are getting hard and popping up more when I flex. I go a little heavier on the protein and a little lighter on the carbs. I'm getting harder muscles all the time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are you sure about that, 'cause I could swear I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm losing weight and wearing smaller clothes, but my muscles are getting hard and popping up more when I flex. I go a little heavier on the protein and a little lighter on the carbs. I'm getting harder muscles all the time.

Generally speaking some specific groups of people can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time;

1) people new to lifting
    2) people starting to lift coming off a long layoff
    3) the obese
    4) steroid users