Looking for low impact exercises

Options
Hi does anyone have any suggestions for low impact exercises for someone with bad knees? I'm trying to lose weight and strengthen muscles without causing pain in my knees

Replies

• Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    swim
  • ravensfan1
    ravensfan1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    can't swim ...took lessons several times but still no luck...had incident as child still have some fear of water...next
  • scribblesitm
    Options
    can't swim ...took lessons several times but still no luck...had incident as child still have some fear of water...next

Even if you can't swim, most gyms have 'lap' pools. You get in with a ladder, and it isn't above your head at all. You can use a kick board even, and just kick your way from one side to the other. It will help build the muscles around your knees so that the knees become stronger. Horribly repetitive, but one of the only things my post surgery knee can do. So you don't have to put your head in, you don't have to get on your back or any of those other things that can be intimidating after a bad water experience.
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    kick field goals!
  • ravensfan1
    Options
    cute
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can do all kinds of resistance training in a pool without putting your head in. If you don't want to swim, try walking laps in the pool when it gets deeper than you are comfortable with, turn around and go back. Water aerobics is a great first step.

Or, hang on to the side and do leg lifts using the water for resistance.
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sanson has a series called Walk Away the Pounds which is low impact.
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could check to see if your local pool offers shallow water aerobics classes. I used to teach these, and they are quite low impact (deep water is better, but with a fear of water I'd avoid this) and you only need to be chest deep in the water. The ladies in my class never even got their hair wet.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 series by beachbody.com. In fact, I am selling mine. Message me if you are interested. There are 6 DVDs. They are great. I am just slimming down my collections. ;)
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and hips. I'm 67 years old. I try to strengthen knees and hips with various on floor and standing exercises. I do hurt but am getting better just need to keep it up. I use our treadmill about 30 minutes at a time at about 2 miles an hour or higher now. At the gym there are different
    equipment for these problems.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi does anyone have any suggestions for low impact exercises for someone with bad knees? I'm trying to lose weight and strengthen muscles without causing pain in my knees

Pilates, stationary bicycle, elliptical, calisthenic (low impact), slow walking, Chair yoga.

I have torn meniscus in both knees and I did 30DS and I am doing Ripped in 30, with modifications. I don't do any of the jumping, just move/march in place and do all the arms movements, and the boxing exercises, for the cardio part and still burn calories and get results. You can also try Leslie Sansone DVDs or Google low impact exercises and DVDs for more information.
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sanson has a series called Walk Away the Pounds which is low impact.

AGREE!!! I love love love Leslie. It can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. It was especially great for me when i first started out. It made me realize that i really could excercise (bad knees and all)

I also 100% agree with the water excercise. I did water aerobics for a long time, its amazingly effective, you dont break a sweat and its easy on the knees. No swimmin required although swimming is the best total body workout ever
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Walking, elliptical, biking come to mind. In strength, don't go as deeply into the leg exercises as you might without the knee problems.
  • ravensfan1
    Options
    thanx for all of the tips. I cancelled my gym membership but I will definitely check out the dvd suggestions