Why? Why? Why?

Options
Today has def been my worst day so far with my journey on MFP. All I can think about is food and want to eat, eat, eat. I was doing so well and BAM! Today I feel like I'm back in my old habits. Trying hard to stay out of the kitchen, but not working the greatest. Plus I'm super tempted to order cheesy bread. Sounds soooooo delish! How do you fight your cravings like this? Oh! And I'm def known as a "binge eater"....ugh!!!

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    As I see it at this very moment you have two choices:

1. Give in, splurge, eat what you want. Get the urge out of your system, and get back on track tomorrow. You might end up with a bit of a 'bleh' feeling after you eat tonight which will help you get back on track; OR
    2. Fight the temptation, and give yourself a small personal victory. Sometimes I'll put both food choices into MFP, then delete the one I'm not going to eta. Sometines seeing the numbers right there will help me make a better decision.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' course of action here, either way one night of poor eating will not undo all the work you have and will continue to put in.

Let us know what you decide! :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    Take a walk. Drink some water. Take a shower. If you're female, do your nails. Eat something good for you and filling that you like (in other words don't try and kill a cheesy bread craving with carrots-not gonna work!). Don't order the cheesy bread! It's totally in your control to do this you just have to want to be healthier more than you want the other stuff.
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's totally in your control to do this you just have to want to be healthier more than you want the other stuff.

Very true! Thanks for this! Def is helping me re-think my choice...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You may feel like this if you're not eating enough or not getting proper nutrition. But your diary is closed, so it's anybody's guess.
  • kristconrath
    Options
    Believe me I know how you feel. I crave food so badly that it takes over my life! I would not tell yourself that giving in is ok because if you are like me, the same thing will happen tomorrow. You have to live for today, right now, this very second. If you make it past your craving then you have taken back your control, even if you have to celebrate every second the clock ticks by.
    As I'm typing this I'm so totally wanting something sweet and fattening, but I'm not going to do it...at least this second. My god, imagine if you could figure out why people crave food, and why they can't control their eating. I'm sure for everyone the reason is a little different. The interesting thing is that no matter what the reason, there is only one clear solution...you have to find a way to stop!

I recently joined into a weight loss challenge in my area...great prizes if you win but absolutely no support or encouragement. I can see the names of the contestants, some weigh 135 lbs...really? Ok, there's also a facebook page...that no one is on. I'm frustrated because I need (NEED) support and someone to talk to. Now I'm asking why, why, why?

You can do it. Identify the trigger and try to find a solution that doesn't include overeating. Tomorrow never comes...
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    Part of me right now is saying "You've already gone over today, why not continue? Tomorrow is a new day. Start fresh and work twice as hard tomorrow" While the other part of me is saying "Don't do it! Get control NOW!" *sigh*
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Part of me right now is saying "You've already gone over today, why not continue? Tomorrow is a new day. Start fresh and work twice as hard tomorrow" While the other part of me is saying "Don't do it! Get control NOW!" *sigh*

I need to see your diary to give you any advice first off

Second....You really need to not think of this as a diet....get your mind set on this is your new life and how you will be so much healthier and happier :flowerforyou:
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    I stopped logging my calories today....BAD! I know. Just got sickened by the numbers. I'm doing the very best I can to fight these darn cravings. So far....doing ok.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If it is just about the eating then stock up on fruits and veggies and pig out this way. Your body will help you to stop after it gets the nutrition it needs. Most of the time people overeat because they do not get the nutrition their body needs. I can't see your diary so I do not know if you are eating healthy foods. Calories are only part of the equation.

If it is about a certain food, this can be tricky since cravings won't go away. For example, if it is chocolate, buy a small piece of chocolate, not a box or bag, and satisfy your craving.

If it is about an emotion or you're bored, deal with that head on instead. Use a journal, find a friend or seek help/ find a hobby you would enjoy.

In any case, you need to be honest why you are wanting to eat so much.
  • Missyhess
    Options
    my first answer is resist. But u are allowed atleast one cheat day a week. Especially if u exercise regularly. But just be conscious.
    If u havent already cheated then go ahead and have the bread. A single portion and then work it off. That way u wont give up all together.
    Good luck in what ever choice u make. :happy:
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well, there's getting over this moment, and then there is learning from this moment. Getting over this moment may just be a matter of eating something else and waiting it out. If you want cheesy bread, why not have some cheese? You'll be over calories, but it might make the craving go away, and you won't be much over. Getting over this moment is about damage control.

But, I'd suggest you also learn from this moment. Losing weight isn't about "white knuckling" your way to victory. White knucklers gain every pound back. Because you're not going to live the rest of your life "white knuckling" your way through it. Eventually, you'll give in. So why do you want a particular food? Is it just because you like it? And you want to eat something you like? Have you taken all pleasurable food out of your diet? In which case, you'll want to put a few back in. And, especially if you're a binger, experiment finding pleasurable foods that *don't* trigger a binge. Is it because you're bored? Or lonely? Is it because you seem to crave flour-y carbs with fat on them? (This is me...so I avoid them. I eat whole carbs...potatoes instead of bread. Rice instead of cake. I don't get cravings when I eat like this. Desires...but not cravings.)

My point is that in order to come up with the right fix, you need to have the right diagnosis of the problem. And your reason for wanting to eat something yummy is as individual as you are. No one else can tell you the right fix for you.

Weight loss is not just about losing, its also a personal learning experience. Because losing? As difficult as it can seem while you're doing it...its not really the hard part. Keeping it off is the hard part. So yes, do what you need to do to get through this moment. But I'd really encourage you to think about why these moments occur, so that you can develop long term strategies for dealing with them.
  • CountryGal83
    Options
    Thank you to EVERYONE who has posted. I appreciate the kind words and support you have given me. I am trying to figure out what my triggers are. And I'm trying to learn from past mistakes. I'm wanting a healthier lifestyle and be able to over come these urges and not cave. One step at a time. I know I will fail, but then I need to realize why I failed and learn from it. 2012 WILL BE MY YEAR! I'm determined to make it happen!