BMI charts a joke!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    How I'm looking in my bikini. Let's be honest, if we looked like a fitness model, would we REALLY care how much the scale told us we weighed? I think NOT! I'm keeping track each week for a challenge I'm in on another private board, but I'm also posting pictures. In 2 weeks, I can tell there is a lot more definition in my belly and I'm up a pound from the last time I took pictures! I'll take the NSV over a lower number any day!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    And I'm amused that I just broke into the normal range when I'm still obviously overweight. I also lift weights (heavy).
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    BMI was never meant to be used for individual use. It's a measure to calculate weight trends for large population groups. In general, BMI is correct for about 80% of people, so it's a good indicator to draw general conclusions. Individual measures of obesity should be measured by body fat percentage.

This is absolutely correct. Conversely to the OP, I am in the very upper range for healthy weight according to BMI charts but truly I need to lose at least 25 lbs. to get my body fat and measurements in line with health (not vanity). My weight is not remotely healthy for my frame. Don't be offended by it "calling you obese" if you genuinely believe it's wrong for you--just ignore it.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    One odd thing is that very obese people (which I was) tend to have a high lean mass because they've been carrying all that weight around. If you work to preserve as much as possible of that lean mass as you lose, you end up with what's on average a very high lean mass for your height. That's the case with me. So if I can keep preserving that lean mass, I look great at this weight. Most people are astonished at what I weigh as they think I'm 20+ lbs lighter.

My avatar, for example, was taken when I weighed over 200 lbs.
    Yes, exactly.

My original goal was to get back down to my high school weight. But when my doctor tested my body fat percentage, he found that I'm carrying enough muscle that my *lean* body mass right now is already almost as much as my *total* weight from high school! We've been doing a very careful high-protein weight loss plan that ensures I lose fat without losing any muscle mass. So now, the ideal goal weight that I'm shooting for is actually still in the "overweight" category. I don't care, "strong" is the new sexy! And I'd rather be healthy than look like those stick-thin supermodels, anyway.

Also, I think someone else said this but it bears repeating, the BMI chart was originally intended to be used as a research / statistical tool, not as a weight loss tool. And it becomes less and less accurate the taller you are.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    [/quote}

i go by what i used to be when i was in my 20's.

[/quote]

Me too! But the summer of my seventeenth year. Awesome year, I weighed 140 which is more than recommended for my height but my body was rockin' I had some muscle and I felt sexy!