2 weeks, and not a single pound

Options
I don't know if it's because I got a new scale, or what, but I am rather frustrated that I haven't seemed to lose a single pound in 2 weeks. I haven't gained anything either, but... it's just frustrating. Last time I did calorie counting, the weight seemed to come off fairly effortlessly with just diet, and that was about 6 months ago.

Now, I've managed to stay under my calorie goals for the most part, for the last 2 weeks, and always under maintenance. I feel like I should have lost SOMETHING. Even if it's just a pound. I have my calorie goals set to losing 2 lbs a week. :\ So... you can see why I might be frustrated.

I'm going to try kicking it up a notch and see if maybe that will jump start something for this next week. Maybe it will just have been getting a new scale (though when I took my clothes OFF I gained weight some how... so part of me wonders if the scale might just be broken).

I guess the bright side is that even though I haven't lost, I haven't gained either. :)

Replies

• andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In three words. Lower the calories.
    Open up the diary to see what you eat.
    How tall are you and what's your actual weight?
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    First, when are you weighing yourself? If it isn't in the morning right when you wake up then I'd ignore your measurements and check it in the AM. Weight fluctuates during the day. Second, are you exercising? It seems to always help me kickstart losing weight.
  • Rellik2012
    Options
    make sure your eating enough as well because that can make you keep weight on
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight...make sure you drink enough water and watch your sodium intake...and as stated make sure you at least eat the recommended calorie intake, starving your body is a far worse offense than feeding it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating per day, and burning in your exercise? You need to maintain a net calorie intake above 1200 as a minimum (below this is dangerous for most people) and possibly push it up further if you're not seeing progress. A lot of people stuck report movement if they change their targets to 1lb a week :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the scale sounds crappy. Exchange it. I have one like that. I no longer trust it. I will be getting a new one when the funds are available.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, be patient and diligent. It can be frustrating, but sometimes it just takes a while, even when you're doing everything right. :flowerforyou:
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    Just try not to be anxious about results.

Each body takes different time to lose weight. It will work just fine what you are doing.

all the best!
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My first week I was eating too few calories and I actually gained weight, but if I stay over 1200 calories I seem to be having success. I have failed at so many diets and I think it's because I went into starvation mode. Make sure you keep it above 1200 calories.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself once a day if that's your thing, at the same time, weight fluctuates all day. so i do it in the morning when i first wake up and that's it for the day. drink plenty water, and whatever calories you're eating even if you're under, keep them as whole and fresh as possible. or like frozen with things like veggies/fruit, and get some protein, etc. . . it should start coming off
  • MisMissey
    Options
    I absolutely feel your pain ... last week I was at the gym 5 days straight, then took one day off and hit the elliptical for an hour on the 2nd off day, was at or below my calories every one of those days and I managed to GAIN 5 lbs this week. My scale almost went thru the window, and I immediately walked to the computer to lament my crappy weigh in to my friends and family, and the quote at the top of my news feed was below. It steadied me and reminded me that this is a race, not a sprint, and we just have to keep the faith ... YOU GOT THIS, don't get frustrated!

“There will be times when it’s tough going and you’ll question whether you can do it or not. There’ll be times when it seems fruitless and there’s absolutely no progress whatsoever. That’s when you take a deep breath, dig down deep, and persevere.”
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just keep buying new scales until I found one I liked :)
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You might try watching your salt intake. I find that if I eat salty stuff or drink soda I don't lose and even gain a couple pounds for 2 or 3 days. For the most part though I've been losing steadily.
  • mrsgrant
    mrsgrant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    dont worry ,your body wont think you are really serious until 2 0r 3 weeks go by!! hang in there
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've gained 3# since starting here! I know it's just a shock to my system and pretty soon it will level itself out and begin to come down! We're in this for LIFE...not just 2 or 3 weeks! Good luck to you! Hang in there!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 70 pounds since May 1st.
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options
    Weigh your self once a week and first thing in the morning, but after going to the bathroom. I do it Sundays because I feel like that's the "end" of the week. You should also measure yourself. I didn't lose anything a few weeks ago but I did lose an inch all over! I didn't feel like measuring myself would be worth the time but it boosts my confidence every week! If it's only been two weeks though you shouldn't worry too much. your body is just getting used to what you're doing and probably preparing to go down!
  • n_soares3
    Options
    Consume all you calories. I know it sounds werid but the more you eat the more you were burn. I had a lot of help here. I haven't lost a single pound either. In about 2 weeks, But i lost and 1 and 1/2 off my waist, Take measurements. The scale lies to you . Our body is made up of 50% water also.

Measure, measure, measure. Thats what kept me motivated. Good luck. add me if you have anymore questions.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You may be getting in your calories, but are they quality calories? Try to cut out as much sugar and processed foods as possible. Sugar is a real diet killer. You would not beleive how much hidden sugar is in packaged foods. I added sugar to what my page tracks and I stick to the 26 g that I am allowed and I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks with no workouts(recovering from back issue).

Hang in there !! :happy:
  • MagisterMundi
    MagisterMundi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also worth noting that a lot of the calorie burn estimates of exercises that MFP comes up with are exceptionally generous. That hour-long walk we did, for example? No way in hell that burned 500+ calories. A third of that, probably - half of it, maybe - but not 500+.