Question for runners..

Options
I've been working out for a while now but I just started jogging about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping it will reignite my weight loss and it's given me new challenges and goals to reach. I've signed up for a 5k and have been using the C25K program.

My goal is to finish the 5k in under 27min and therein lies my question. Right now I set the treadmill to 6.5mph which isn't going to get me home in under 27, I'd have to be at 7.2ish on the treadmill. So my question is should I work on the speed or stamina first? It's not the greatest question but maybe someone has some experience with this. I skipped to week 3 of the C25K because I wasn't quite couchbound, so I could go back to week 1 which would have me running at shorter intervals and might allow me to try and go faster. I know I also have to take into account it's going to be different running outdoors as opposed to the comfort of my basement. The 5k is on May 5th so I have some time to be ready.

I appreciate anyone's input or advice.

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Work on endurance first, speed later.

I would note that I NEVER run as fast on a treadmill as I do in a race. I spend most of my time on the treadmill at 6.2 or so....and my 5K time is 26:30.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    These are both personal suggestions so it's entirely up to you if you listen but...

First tip would be get off the treadmill, the environment is completely different ans you can't properly assess how the weather conditions on the day will tire you out or even the inclinations/ descents of the course.

Second tip would be tackle a real hill doesn't have to be huge but even a slight ascent. The endurance and strength you build from that will help with cutting down any time goals on a flat road race.

Good luck!
  • stonea22
    Options
    Both previous posters have offered great suggestions. I will second the idea that I run faster outside because it is so much more fun than I do on a treadmill, but you have to acclimate to the outdoors if you aren't used to it.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do both at the same time. Say you run 3x a week, appologies for not knowing the training used in C25K. For those 3 days, one would be a speed day, doing tempo runs and the like. The second a medium distance race pace run and the last would be your long, slow, steady endurance work.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you should get off of the treadmill, at least a few times per week, and run outside to work on your endurance. If there is an area of your town that has running trails, go there. It's amazing how running around others can improve your average pace.

If you want to get faster, try doing interval training. This is most easily accomplished on the treadmill. Pick a pace that would be your "balls to the wall" as fast as you can go speed. Then find a speed that allows you to run comfortably, probably just a tad slower than you're going now. Run your comfortable speed for three minutes and fast pace for one. Do this over and over again until you complete your workout. You can play with the times, too.

Good luck!
  • maggie4097
    Options
    I agree with the others about the treadmill. I don't like it, but it is nice to see all of your stats right in front of you. I seem to do better outside, and I use the Nike + sensor to track all of my info. I seem to be faster in an actual race also--I don't want to look completely stupid in front of all of those peeps! Like I told you before, I'm a turtle anyway. I am trying to work on getting my 5k time down, then I will move on to bigger and better things--like a 10k or something. :-)
  • maggie4097
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you should get off of the treadmill, at least a few times per week, and run outside to work on your endurance. If there is an area of your town that has running trails, go there. It's amazing how running around others can improve your average pace.

If you want to get faster, try doing interval training. This is most easily accomplished on the treadmill. Pick a pace that would be your "balls to the wall" as fast as you can go speed. Then find a speed that allows you to run comfortably, probably just a tad slower than you're going now. Run your comfortable speed for three minutes and fast pace for one. Do this over and over again until you complete your workout. You can play with the times, too.

Good luck!

Mmmmmm---good info! Thanks!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info folks....Weather permitting, I will get my butt outside soon - you guys have convinced me on that for sure. Thanks.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    These are both personal suggestions so it's entirely up to you if you listen but...

First tip would be get off the treadmill, the environment is completely different ans you can't properly assess how the weather conditions on the day will tire you out or even the inclinations/ descents of the course.

Second tip would be tackle a real hill doesn't have to be huge but even a slight ascent. The endurance and strength you build from that will help with cutting down any time goals on a flat road race.

Good luck!

dreadmills suck. but that's just my opinion. I prefer outside weather crappy or not, I'll be outside. and definitely echoing the hill part. on weekends I tackle a 9 story parking garage building. I mix it up jogging up the ramps all the way to the top floor the go down the stairs and do it all over again for 3-5 laps.
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definately work on the stamina first. Its all very well being able to sprint, but not much good in a 5k race if you can only go at that speed for 10 seconds :laugh:

If you want to stick to the treadmill for now I'd say stick with the speed you're comfortable at. Get up to the 5k mark and then move to outside. You might find once you go out that you can't go for the whole 5k because of the differences in terrain, wind, inclines etc but pick back up from one of the later C25K weeks to acclimate yourself. I'm sure you'll find once you do that that you're moving much faster than you were on the tread :glasses:

Good luck!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting the stamina up there first. You'll find that as you advance through the program, you may need to drop your speed way down to get through the longer intervals & that's ok. If you're a beginning runner & already have a race in mind, I'd suggest not being too married to the idea of finishing the 5k in a particular time. Since the 5k is in May, you've got plenty of time to get through the program.

I'm a relatively new runner with a 5k & 2 10ks under my belt, & I recently restarted C25 to work on increasing my pace. I'm following the program 3 days a week & running at a slower pace for the full 30 min or doing elliptical on the in-between days 2 or 3 times a week to keep my endurance up.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the C25K until you can run the whole distance. Then continue running at a minimum of three times a week. One day a week run longer ( up to about six miles) at a comfortable pace. One day a week run hard for around 20 min. The other days run easy for 3+ miles. This will prepare you for a 5k race..

The key is consistency. As long as you do something like this consistently from week to week you will continue to improve. The more days and miles you can run without injury, the faster you will improve.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey Beef,
    I recommend starting with being able to finish a 5k first, then working on decreasing time an increasing speed. Someone else mentioned that you shouldn't get too focused on that 27 minute number, and I agree. My first 5K time was 42 minutes and I was just pleased to have completed it. Now, my fastest time is 30:43 and I've been training since October to get to this pace. I have no doubt that you can kill that time if you really work hard and want to, but many times the reward is in the journey and not in the destination (or time, or whatever). Do the program, enjoy yourself and find out what is to love about running. You'll be glad you did. I'm thrilled that you are giving yourself this challenge!! Let me know how I can help!
    -Andi
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've just finished c25k after several years of not running. it will be a lot harder and take a lot longer trying to do it at your planned race speed already, a 5k in 27 mins is very fast for a new runner, I wouldn't worry about your time just yet, my first 5k years ago was 38 mins, now I'm at 40 but I'm starting to work on speed next week.
    Run slower until you can do the distance, then work on increasing speed. (5mph is a good starting point)
    Ideally when you can do the distance, train 3 x per week, try and include some hills in your route:
    One short, fast run / intervals to work on speed
    Medium distance run at easy speed
    Long run at lower speed to build endurance
    Some people find it harder to run outside due to uneven ground/ hills/ wind etc, I find I can run easier and faster outside cos the treadmill just bores the hell out of me!!
  • maggie4097
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info folks....Weather permitting, I will get my butt outside soon - you guys have convinced me on that for sure. Thanks.

You can handle the elements, Beef! I run outside in any weather except gale force winds, thunderstorms or so much and snow on the road that it just wouldn't be safe. I live in Ohio, so we could have our heat and air conditioning on at some point--in the same day. Last winter, it was below freezing most of the winter, so I just made sure I was dressed for the temps. Under Armor and layers!
  • LeanerBeef
    Options

You can handle the elements, Beef! I run outside in any weather except gale force winds, thunderstorms or so much and snow on the road that it just wouldn't be safe. I live in Ohio, so we could have our heat and air conditioning on at some point--in the same day. Last winter, it was below freezing most of the winter, so I just made sure I was dressed for the temps. Under Armor and layers!
    Maggie, are you questioning my toughness?????? LoL
  • Doughcfc
    Doughcfc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're relegated to treadmill running, make sure you set the incline to 2% or so. This will help to mimic the push off your legs do while running outside & off the treadmill. It doesn't sound like much, but it works. You might find you have to work up to the 2% grade. It can feel like a big change if you're not used to it.

Hope this helps!
  • maggie4097
    Options

Not at all Beef! I'm just sayin, this GIRL likes it outside ;-P
  • LeanerBeef
    Options

Not at all Beef! I'm just sayin, this GIRL likes it outside ;-P

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its the "right" thing to do but I focused on stamina first and went from running 1 mile to 3, now I am focusing on speed and trying to run the same distance faster.