Completed 5K today!!!

Options
I've done a few 5K walks before. I signed up for one this morning that was a 5K Fitness Walk because I don't think I'm ready yet to run the whole 5K.

At the gym I've been doing intervals on the treadmill, fast walking and jogging. I was NEVER able to jog before more than 30 seconds as I would get totally winded and get that feeling in my chest like I was going to die. But, I've really been working at it.

So this morning I was going to try as I'm sure running on the ground is different than a treadmill. I did it!!!! Intervals of race walking and running. Had my music on which ALWAYS gets me through my workouts and keeps me pumped to keep going. It was coming towards the end of the course, a great, fast song came on and I just went for it. Started running and ran through the finish line. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

For anyone that's done a race, marathon, whatever... the end is powerful. Lots of people cheering you on, music, announcements and such, I felt AMAZING and was almost brought to tears feeling proud of myself for coming so far. The old me would have been a lazy sack of bones in bed on a Sunday morning. Not out at 6 am for a 5K race.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That's great, congratulations. It always feels good crossing that finish line.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You are going to become addicted now. Glad you enjoyed it!! Keep it up!!
  • roadrunner01
    roadrunner01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you, that's so awesome! Keep it up & you'll be running the whole thing, & totally feel like a rock star!
    You can download the Couch to 5K series, which walks you thru training. It takes you from walking to running a full 5K in 9 weeks. Sounds like you might be able to skip to the 3rd or 4th week.
    Good luck & keep upi the great work!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It always feels great at the finish line!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I have never EVER been one to run, but now I am training for my first ever 5K. You have given me motivation and inspiration!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I have never EVER been one to run, but now I am training for my first ever 5K. You have given me motivation and inspiration!

Thank you!!! You can do it!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! So excited for you! I just strated training for a marathon. I want to do the Albany one. It is supposed to be a good beginners one. I am up to five miles but have never doen a 5k outside in a race like setting. You give me the motivation to try.
  • KiraLech
    Options
    Congrats to you Barb. You're getting out there and doing it! Please keep posting updates. It's a great way to keep newbie runners/joggers/walkers inspired!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Awesome!!!! This is what organized runs are all about! Totally fun!