how bad are carbs?

Options
I am having trouble eating enough calories in the day! And also I love carbs, I am having half a cup of basmati rice with my dinner. but i still have 800 calories for today, so i was thinking of making a tuna sandwich later. But is that too many carbs for one day? or does it matter?
also I know basmati rice isnt the best, but we have 2 huge bags of it so i am not going out to buy brown, so please dont suggest that.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble eating enough calories in the day! And also I love carbs, I am having half a cup of basmati rice with my dinner. but i still have 800 calories for today, so i was thinking of making a tuna sandwich later. But is that too many carbs for one day? or does it matter?
    also I know basmati rice isnt the best, but we have 2 huge bags of it so i am not going out to buy brown, so please dont suggest that.

As long as you have gotten in adequate protein and fats today, more carbs is fine. And brown rice isn't better then white rice, so you're fine there
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Check your other macros (protein, fats) and if you have more of those left over than carbs, you can go into your goals and change them manually to allow yourself more carbs instead of fats / proteins if that works better for you. Carbs are not bad at all as long as your diet is balanced. Sometimes you just have to experiment a little until you find what works. :heart:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest upping your carb goal as it's automatically set to 15/55/30 (p/c/f) or something like that. If anything get some more protein! Try eating carbs like beans that give you a good dose of calories and protein too.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This.

As long as you have gotten in adequate protein and fats today, more carbs is fine. And brown rice isn't better then white rice, so you're fine there
  • meganelizabetho
    Options
    There are different kinds of carbs. Some are awesome and some are not so awesome.

So I'm sending you a few links about how I eat, (it's hard at first, but gets much easier)...
    It's mostly about clean eating (no preservatives, no chemicals, cooking your own food) and about cutting things out that your body can't digest properly.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

http://robbwolf.com/faq/
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    carbs are perfectly fine.
  • drczr
    drczr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not "bad" per se. Your body needs carbohydrates to function. But I wouldn't necessarily try to eat all those 800 calories with carbs. And as always, moderation is the key.

As you hinted, brown rice is probably healthier than basmati rice. It has more fiber. But at the end of the day, it's calories in, calories out. And brown rice and white rice has almost the same amount of calories per cup so feel free to finish off what you have.

This journey is all about learning. The fact that you have 800 calories left at the end of the day means that you may want to spread out those calories throughout the day next time. This way, your body will get constant fuel throughout the day. I wonder if you are not eating enough in the morning.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Carbs are good just go with low glycemic carbs - not cookies, or sugar, or white bread!
  • cooter2533
    Options
    nothing wrong with carbs, your body needs energy to function. calories in vs calories out.