When to work out?

Options
I always hear that working out right when you wake up is best, but I am so groggy and grumpy I can't even get into it. I love working out right after work (I work a swing shift so I get home around 10pm) to release stress from the day. I go to bed at around midnight every night. Should I switch to working out when I wake up? What would be more beneficial?

Replies

• Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you work out, as long as you do it. :huh: Look at it this way... If you workout for 30 mins at the same intensity at 7 am and do the same workout at 11 pm, both workouts will burn the same amount of calories. If you set yourself restrictions for working out that make it less likely that you will actually make the time, you'll find out that you skipped more workouts than you would have if you had just done it at midnight. :ohwell:

Sometimes, just cause I am a bit of a night owl, :blushing: my happy butt is working out at 1 am while the rest of the house is asleep! :yawn: And believe me, I HATE mornings! :frown: Just make a schedule of when you can do it, and try to stick to the schedule as much as possible. You'll do just fine! :flowerforyou:
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    do whats best for you. i could NEVER work out in the morning or at night lmfao. but most people wouldnt like to work out in the middle of the day like me. it all depends on what you prefer
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i don't think it matters, to be honest. i work out after work (around 4-5 most days) and in the afternoon on the weekends. i would never be able to get up and work out, i am SO not a morning person!
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work out at different times each day. If I could, I would work out in the morning - but just to get it out of the way, not for any specific caloric benefit. I don't think that makes a difference...
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I am not a morning person and even if I don't get up until 10 on my days off, I still can't exercise for a few hours after that. If I tried to do it before work, well, let's just say it would not be a pretty sight. Before I started this job, I worked the swing shift as well, I'd stop at the gym on my way home at 9:30 and had no problem. It tired me out so I could relax a bit faster before bed. I've also gone right when I've woken up with my husband when he was going to the gym twice a day.

Now, I run right when I get home in the afternoons. But, I've discovered that the time, overall, does not make a huge difference for me.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have a good routine already. For me, I wake up at 3:45am eat, stretch, then go to the gym (because my husband has to leave for work by 6:45 and I have to get my kids up for school by then). For me, if I don't do it first thing in the morning, I'll put it off until night, and by the time it's night, I'm "too tired" to go anywhere. Some days, I'll go twice - especially if I have bottled up frustration that day :)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter, whatever works best for you. I personally usually workout in the evenings as well, unless I work from home and workout in the afternoon. I find when I work out in the mornings, I am so hungry and usually end up eating too much!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you love working out right after work, then that's when you should do it! I need to work out first thing in the morning or else I'm Little Miss Grumpy for the rest of the day. I know there are pros and cons to working out at various times throughout the day, but really, the best time is when you're going to actually do it!
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try to work out about 30mins to 1hr after dinner. My husband thinks it's very strange, but there are 2 benefits to me.

1. I don't like snacking and it prevents me from having to work pre-workout snack into calorie allowance
    2. I read that it helps to digest your meal and boost your overnight calorie burning.

Obviously if you have a heavy dinner you'd probably want to wait a little longer.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do it whenever you WANT to do it. Forcing yourself to work out at times that are unnatural to you will never work; you'll find yourself making excuses to avoid doing it.

I LOVE to work out -- but ONLY in the morning. If I leave my workout to the end of the day, I won't do it at all.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. But, since I started doing mornings videos, I have found myself to be much more awake and alert by the time I get to work. I usually do a b15-25 minute video then and if I have time I do another one in the afternoon. This way I have at least some work out in.
    But, to lose weight it doesn't matter. What matters is what works for you not anyone else.
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have always heard that morning's better than night time to work out, but because of my and my husband's schedule the only time I can work out is after he's home to watch the kids. The earliest I ever work out is like 6pm. On weekends, sometimes I'll go to the gym as early as 10am. You just do whatever works for you!
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else on the post, I think you should workout when you feel most likely to do it. I prefer first thing in the morning before my shift at 6am and then when I get off at 2pm.
  • Jessaustx
    Jessaustx Posts: 130
    Options
    It's completely up to you - and if you have something going for you that works, then great! For me, personally, I TRY to work out in the morning. I find it gets my metabolism up and going. Also, if I work out in the evening.. chances are I will have a much longer list of reasons why to not work out. :)
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just depends on you. I myself like to work out in the morning. Yes, I will force myself to workout in the middle of the day or evening if I have to, but for the most part I get it done between 9am-11am. :-)
  • tlsiravo
    Options
    I work with a woman who has PT training and she swears by this, and lives by it every chance she can.... I, on the other hand, am also not a morning person... not to mention, one place we go does not have showers... and though we have desk jobs, and have no one to see or deal with but eachother, and can dress in any attire, it's still gross!!.... anyhow, on to the why's.... believe it or not, there is a method to this "morning madness", so say these fitness geru people... in the morning, you have not consumed anything at all, and so they say, burn more fat than you would later in the day when you had eaten say a couple of hours prior....

Sounds great!! Still can't wake at 4:45 to do it...

Good Luck!!

Tracy