Super bowl snacks

Options
walkwithme1
walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
Does anyone have any healthy snack recipes for me to try for super bowl. Typically we do cheese dip, salsa and tortilla chips as one of the snacks but I really want something new and healthier. Any suggestions?

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    hummus and veggies---healthy but kinda addicting! you can make it or buy it.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try the skinny buffalo chicken dip from www.skinnytaste.com - it's a favorite of mine for game day.
  • kriscrat
    Options
    I've found, for parties in general, having a vairety of cut up fruits and veggies (along with dips and chips) give people lots of options, and is tasty! Lowfat yogurt and honey makes an awesome fruit dip.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Salsa isn't bad, but high in sodium. Red pepper hummus and pita chips, Kashi crackers and Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges. Taco dip using lean ground beef, 2% cheese, and beans. You can sub plain Greek yogurt for sour cream.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
  • laurenmgriff
    laurenmgriff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i love hungry girl spinach and artichoke dip! yum!
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Salsa... That's some pretty healthy stuff, and even more so if you make your own (cut down on the salt). There are baked tortilla chips, that are good. Or maybe have it with some pita chips? We like popcorn - not that microwave garbage. UGH! We pop it with a little peanut oil, and add lots of mix ins - raisins, cranberries, nuts galore, chocolate chips, you name it. Hummus - always delicious. Guacamole - okay high fat, but a great fat.

Brown rice and/or quinoa make great salads - like a quinoa taboule, or something like that. Try cooked cooled brown rice, oil, a little vinegar, juice from a (or some) fresh orange(s), some orange zest, and some craisins. Or dried cherries. Or dried blueberries. OOH OOH or mangoes! Delicious.

Hope these help. Enjoy!
  • bag4498
    bag4498 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love turkey sliders and this no potato sweet potato skin recipe I got off the biggest loser. I make these all the time. the direction says this but I just wanted to stress this trick: just season one side of it so that when they are done baking and you go to eat it, the seasoning is on the bottom and its the first thing to hit your tastebuds. it makes a world of a difference. heres some of my pointers: I buy the real bacon bits (walmart brand) or I've used turkey bacon (cooked crispy then crumbled). I don't use the yogurt and I use 2% shredded cheddar cheese(melts better than fat free). I use tony chachere's instead of cayenne (b/c its what i have in the house). I also cook mine on my pampered chef stone and they come out perfect everytime. just be sure to not slice the potatoes too thin b/c they will burn. they calculated the calories, etc. i haven't made these since starting MFP, but when i do i'll recalculate. when i cook this i make just one serving b/c noone else here eats this. below is the original recipe.

These "No-Skins" incorporate a very strategic use of salt. You season the top of the potato rounds so that when they're flipped, the seasoning will be on the bottom--ensuring that your tongue hits the salt on the potato first! That way, you need less salt overall, and your tastebuds will still be satisfied.

You'll likely fool your children and spouse into thinking these are regular white potatoes if you purchase light-skinned sweet potatoes. Both versions taste delicious, but if you use the darker sweet potatoes, you might need to increase the cooking time a minute or two.

Ingredients
    16 ounces 1/2"-thick rounds light-skinned sweet potatoes*
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon sea salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
    2 ounces finely shredded all-natural, low-fat Cheddar cheese (I used Cabot's 75% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese)
    4 teaspoons all-natural bacon bits (I used Wellshire All-Natural Fully Cooked Salt-Cured Bacon Bits)
    4 teaspoons finely chopped scallions
    2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)

Makes 4 servings

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil.

In a large glass or plastic mixing bowl, toss the potatoes and oil together until the potatoes are well coated.

Place the potato rounds in a single layer on the prepared pan so they do not touch. Sprinkle the salt, garlic powder, and cayenne evenly over the top of the potatoes. Bake them for 10 minutes. Flip them and bake for 7 to 9 minutes longer, or until they are tender inside and starting to brown lightly on the outside.

Push the potato rounds together so that they touch and you can easily top them in a single, even layer. First place the Cheddar, then the bacon bits, and then the scallions over the rounds. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately with 1/2 teaspoon of the yogurt on top of each, if desired.

Per serving: 141 calories, 7 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates (6 g sugar), 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 283 mg sodium

* You'll need to start with about 11/2 pounds of potatoes in order to get 16 ounces of rounds. Try to choose potatoes that are roughly uniform in size. To create the rounds, peel your potatoes and cut both ends off. Then cut them into 1/2"-thick rounds and measure out 16 ounces.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'm sure my hubby will like them.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Veggie sticks and low fat crackers/corn thins with extra light phylidelphia and sweet chilli sauce. Yummmmmmm. Or baked pita chips (from mountin bread wraps) with pico de gallo (salsa), guacamole and maybe beans.
    Popcorn. Light pretzels. Sultanas. Nuts. Maybe yummy fruit like red grapes, melon chunks and strawberries!
  • dolphin36
    Options
    Psmd: Do you have an easy hummus recipe to post on here for me?