Overcoming food addiction, help please!!

Options
Sugar is my drug of choice (mainly chocolate and caramel). I have turned to sweets through out my life when faced with times of loneliness or stress to make me feel better, or feel sweetness in life where I was missing it. I went without chocolate for a year this past year on a bet from a family member who was giving up alcohol. It felt so good to not eat it all of the time. However, since my year was up, I have gone back to it as my comfort. It sounds so stupid, but it is the truth. Is there anyone out there who has over come food addiction? Or is it something you deal with on a daily basis. My plan is to have a treat day once a month so that I can indulge a little bit. However, those other days I am not going to eat any treats . I feel like this sugar addiction is holding me back from losing the last 20 pounds (I have lost 36 so far). That has to be more important to me than shoving sugar in my mouth. I also have a husband and 6 kids, and to not give them treats is tough. I made a new rule that after school and before bed snacks are fruit, yogurt, toast, cheese, anything that is good for you. That applies to me too. But, do you know how often I am asked to bring treats to something (especially since I bake some killer cookies and brownies). Anyway, this is my plan for a new exercise in self control. Working out is easy for me, I have always loved exercise. I played college basketball and I have run a marathon, 2 1/2 marathons, and a 15 K, so exercise is not the issue. I love it. Anyone who has over come food addiction, or learned how to control it, please let me know.

Replies

• AprilG412
    Options
    I am not a sugar addict, but the more I tell myself that I will not eat something the more I want it and eventually eat it. I have tried to change by keeping my mind and hands busy. I have started eating small apples and nuts. I also try to talk to another person once a day and my vice is coffee. So if I do good I have a cup with Splenda and a little cream. Maybe you can exchange what you like for something healthy. I have 3 kids and they are all in school and now I have no structure so I eat. I would love to be a friend and I will post on your wall daily, because then I will have a reason to log in every day. If this is not what you are looking for I understand and I will continue to find someone.
    Good luck
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have to have chocolate almost every day in some form, and I started eating Trader Joe's 100 calorie dark chocolate bars each night for dessert. Most nights I have just one and it's fine, very rarely I will have two. But I have to have something, otherwise I end up buying a lot of chocolate and eating it all at once. So I figure this is better than that. Good luck!
  • visualsoul
    Options
    hello fellow sugar buddie..i too have "thing" for sugar. i just recently had to deal with my issue with food, mainly sugar. i have never been over weight, except when I gained 35-40 during all three of my pregnancies, so i never thought i had an issue with food. my parents and grandparents have major sweet tooth's so i grew up with ice cream and cookies as desserts at least 4-5 days a week as a child/teenager. i just saw it as normal. but i realized that the sugar was preventing me from reaching my weight goal and found out that diabetes run in my family. so i have trained myself to say no. i do not buy chocolate to bring into my house. i will only eat it out as a treat. my kids snacks are mostly fruits, crackers, animal/butter cookies and pretzels, so they don't even ask for the "good" stuff.
    i have found that if I don;t buy it i won't eat it. plan your sweet day and only buy enough for that day, involve your family, this will keep you accountable and teach them moderation.
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I too have an addiction to sugar....I keep a jar of nutella in my bedroom >.<

I feel your struggle and want to overcome it too
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy the types of foods that trigger your unhealthy cravings.
    And sever all connections with people, places and events that make available these foods.

Replace old friends with new, like-minded people, and have an arsenal of coping tools to replace the crutch of binge eating.
    I punch a heavy bag - lol
    And you can find something more suited to your own personality if raging against a punching bag won't do it - :bigsmile:

It's not complicated, but change is hard, and breaking that draw to old habits is like losing an old friend.

You can get through this; keep punching!

All Is Possible!
  • mcolander
    Options
    All, I can say is "way to go" for that year you went with out chocolate! That is amazing. There are serious chemical reactions that go on in your mind and body when you have chocolate. It gives you a mood boost and increases various levels of positive neurons. I don't have an answer for you but do know that pure will power is something that can only be done for so long. Your body probably went through some type of withdraw when you quit eating chocolate for that year. Like most addictions your drug of choice is often something you just can't engage in. Just like your friend with alcohol, they probably can't have just one. So, if you feel like you think about chocolate constantly but didn't when you quit then I would quit and focus on all of the other good things you will gain. If however, you think about it everyday anyway, then any one of the plans mentioned earlier sound good to me. Good Luck!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Food addiction usually has an emotional root... We love the taste and sure the dense carbohydrates even give us the feel-good rush by releasing serotonin. However, we know that eating too much isn't good for us, so if we are sabotaging ourselves, it's usually an emotional issue. I lost over a hundred pounds, but I had to seriously focus on what was going on in my head. Here's how I conquered my addiction to food (please note I consider myself in remission).

1) Desire to change. I don't mean that to be silly, but sometimes we think we want to change, but we still want to hold onto our unhealthy relationship with food.

2) Be willing to face fears and painful memories and deal with them in an adult-like manner.

3) Have trust in yourself that you are strong enough to face any and all pain that comes your way from this point forward, and be sure you have support.

4) Be willing to forgive others, even those who don't deserve forgiveness (including yourself if need be).

5) View the past for what it is... memories only... and be willing to detach yourself and stop carrying around those painful memories.

6) Discover what you love about yourself already. And focus on those things when you feel like your confidence is being threatened.

7) Be aware of the value of time, who with and how you spend yours.

8) Be prepared to face people and situations head-on. When you are hurt, in any way, take note. Think about it, decide what you would do and or say if this situation happens again.

9) Meditate.

10) Be prepared. Make sure you plan your food before the day starts. Have what you need on hand. Decide first thing in the morning if you are going to stick to that plan or not.

Hopefully you will find these steps as helpful as I have. It's important that we stop hyper-focusing on our relationship with food instead of what makes us feel good.
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just have a food addiction period.. food is my drug.. in any form.. when I binge from emotional distress it is whatevr I can get my hands on............. UGH... learning to love myself first. I thik is the first step, I have to value myself enough to not abuse my body
  • knelson422
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much for your input. I am thankful for your support. I started journaling last night as I have heard that is helpful. I know that I can do this. I am physically strong, and can do most work outs or challenges. I just get so tired from everyday life, that I think the sweet addiction I have is my emotional craving for sweetness in life. (Don't get me wrong, my life is great, but with all these kids that I do love a ton, I don't take time to note the sweetness of them and sometimes just focus on getting it all done and trying to be supermom. Don't know if that makes sense.) Thanks again!!
  • knelson422
    Options
    Thanks so much I would love to add you as a friend. Have a good start to your week!!
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I struggled with food addiction and binging. I would binge on sugar, chocolate mostly, and simple carbs. I'm not sure what exactly finally broke it for me. I took a good look in the mirror, that was a good start. I found an exercise program that I enjoyed and actually looked forward to, sounds like you have that already.
    But the biggest thing I think I did was switch how I was eating. When I started eating tons of veggies and fruit I felt more satisfied all day and didn't have cravings anymore. It's my TOM so I've had a few cravings, but I keep them healthy, like homemade chickpea brownies, can't feel bad about eating that. :) Sometimes after eating a meal if I'm wanting something sweet I chew a piece of Extra Mint Chocolate Chip flavored gum.
    Good luck, I feel for you! I know how overwhelming the cravings for sweets can be and it sucks! I hope you find your way to break it soon.
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am completely addicted to food. I admit it. I am absolutely powerless :( But like you I don't mind exercise, I just mind stepping away from the carbs. I'm not picky, I'll take my carbs in any form! Mashed potatoes, rice, pasta... The worst part is that I'll tell myself that I'll just have a bite. One bite turns into 15 and me feeling guilty. I have no idea how to combat it. I can't not have these things in the house, my kids love them. Where do you find the ability to just step away from the food? Eating just a little bit sends me into overdrive and off a cliff.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I too have struggles with food addiction and still do. One thing I learned about 2 years ago was that white carbs and starches make you crave sugar. To help with my severe chocolate addiction I quit buying anything with high frutose corn syrup and stopped eating potatoes, corn, and anything with enriched bleached flour. It made a HUGE difference. I used to wake up thinking about chocolate or ice cream and now I don't. I also learned that pineapple makes you crave sugar. Every once in awhile I have a little bit of potatoes and a little bit of pineapple but I am very careful with it.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I am completely addicted to food. I admit it. I am absolutely powerless :( But like you I don't mind exercise, I just mind stepping away from the carbs. I'm not picky, I'll take my carbs in any form! Mashed potatoes, rice, pasta... The worst part is that I'll tell myself that I'll just have a bite. One bite turns into 15 and me feeling guilty. I have no idea how to combat it. I can't not have these things in the house, my kids love them. Where do you find the ability to just step away from the food? Eating just a little bit sends me into overdrive and off a cliff.
    That is hard for me too. I have made the rule that after school and after dinner snacks are fruit, veggies, yogurt, toast, occasionally hot chocolate, and a dessert if I make it. That is helping a lot. I have to be very conscious of what I am putting into my mouth. I literally could eat all day and not feel full. People say, "If you eat all those cookies you are going to feel sick." I could eat a dozen and still want more. So, I am going with the 1 sweet day a month trial. I stopped chocolate for a year, and it was a good exercise in self control for me. I think if I say, I can have that on my sweet day, rather than saying, "Bad food, stay away" and getting out the crucifix, it will work better for me. Good luck to you all with this. I am also starting to keep a journal. When I feel like emotional eatiing, I am going to write what it is that I am feeling and then next to it, "FOOD WILL NOT MAKE THIS ISSUE GO AWAY'. Thanks for all of your honest comments and thoughtful replies.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your addiction. I am the same way with sweets. Anytime I watch someone eat a piece of cake or ice cream. I have got to have it! Once someone brought in a strawberry cream pie to work. I loved it so much that I went out and bought an entire pie. Can you guess who ate it? :mad: During the summer months, when me and hubby are out running errands, I frequently beg him to stop at Dairy Queens to get my ice cream fix.

One of my biggest problem is I feel the craving to eat sweets after every meal. This is absolutely horrible and detrimental to my health. I've packed on the pounds over the years.

Recently I've discovered that drinking tea helps with my sweet craving. I usually have a cup of unsweetened hot white/green tea after meal. It significantly helps with my craving. I'm not sure if it works for anyone else, but it's worth a try to replace something unhealthy with something healthy.