WHY DO MY KNEES HURT????

Options
THEY ARE SOOOO WEAK.. WHAT CAN I DO?????

Replies

• FiremanSam111
    Options
    Are you running? Just got to start really slow, and don't increase your distance by more than 10% a week. I found Glucosamine and Chondroitin (from shark cartilage) pills quite useful. Ginger is also good for joints. You might need to be a bit more specific as to the pain/problem.. like are they hot to the touch and swollen? Could be bursitis... At this point it could be anything, including just not being used to what you're doing.
  • jandzsmom
    Options
    There is a dvd on Amazon--Strong Knees. It's done by a physical therapist and has been very helpful for me--I have dealt with patellar tendinosis, patellofemoral pain syndrome and osteoarthritis in the past year. It can get better, but you need to balance the strength in the muscles of your legs and stretch.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Go see a PT. It did wonders for my leg strength.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Knees for many people hurt because of bad form, too much upper body weight and lack of quad muscle and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    Okay I should have been more specific but for years even when they are not bothering me while walking up stairs and certain exercises I can hear them making a crunchy like sound.... I should probably just go see the DR but it was worth a shot asking :-/
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    do you run and then wear high heels to work? that will do it!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Knees for many people hurt because of bad form, too much upper body weight and lack of quad muscle and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yup, for me it was weak quads/hamstrings and bad adhesions and knots and I was out of alignment. Massage therapy, chiro and weight training helped. Ice and heat and stretching.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Okay I should have been more specific but for years even when they are not bothering me while walking up stairs and certain exercises I can hear them making a crunchy like sound.... I should probably just go see the DR but it was worth a shot asking :-/

I have the crunch too: chrondomalacia. Arthritis behind the patella. I played softball (catcher) and basketball a lot. They still make the noise but by strengthening my quads, hamstrings and hips and inner thighs it's helped support the knee so less pain.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It is really worth working with a GOOD personal trainer to work out a "rehabilitation" program for your legs....I had massive issues when I started, but my trainer gave me great programs that strenthended all my muscles in my legs...

step-ups (starting quite low and progressively higher),
    squats (starting with just squatting to chair and progressively going deeper) - first six months just bodyweight
    lunges (I am still only doing these with body weight)
    leg curls
    leg presses
    I have made a huge difference to my knees - they still make all sorts of noises some days, but most of the time the exercise does not hurt them....

Once I got stronger I started running - slowly and not more than 30 minutes (I prefer HIIT routines rather than full on running)

But most importantly listen to your body - and if it really hurts all the time you might need to talk to a medical person to see if you have underlying issues...

The key is to make sure you strenghten all the muscles around the knee
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    could be I am getting older too lol :-/ Ya I will make an appointment with my dr and see about getting a referral for a physical therapist...
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    Maybe it's what you're running on. My knees were killing me from jogging on the sidewalk. I switched to jogging on a softer bark trail and it's helped with the pain. When the weather's bad I pull out a nice rug and jog in place in the garage.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options

Have you had any injuries to your knees?! I was in an accident, and I have constant problems with my knee and a "crunching" sound. My first thought was some sort of damage, go see a doctor better safe than sorry!
  • denise_earheart
    Options

Have you had any injuries to your knees?! I was in an accident, and I have constant problems with my knee and a "crunching" sound. My first thought was some sort of damage, go see a doctor better safe than sorry!

no never had one but i should go see the dr... ive had these issues since I was 16 and weighed 100 pounds... thinking its just my knees