Just Binged : ( ...Advice please?

Options
So I've been pretty down lately. I just feel like I've been trying so hard to be conscious of my eating and exercising, sticking to 1200 calories and working out 4-5x a week. I'm seeing no progress, though! It's been almost a month and I've only lost 2 lbs. After work, I went to the gym only to get home and immediately scarf down half a big bag of chips and half a box of cookies. Just now, I had more cookies and a bowl of ramen because I was mad at what I did earlier, leading me to be over my day's calories. Sometimes I weigh myself after a binge and I'm lighter! I don't understand. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can handle my binging/ stay motivated when the scale doesn't budge/ why the scale might not be budging? How do you guys stay on track?

Replies

• getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Start journalling

Figure out your food triggers

Forget the scale

TOM will be better

Clothes will feel better

Binges will change in nature

Do not beat yourself up, brush it off and build good habits

All the best
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you burn when you work out? If not, I can see why you went overboard--you must have been STARVING!!

I'm on 1200 calories, and I think the reason it's working for me is that I eat back at least some of my exercise calories. If I don't, I am just too hungry and end up eating everything I can find.

Try not to worry about it too much! Every day is a new day.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you burn when you work out? If not, I can see why you went overboard--you must have been STARVING!!

I'm on 1200 calories, and I think the reason it's working for me is that I eat back at least some of my exercise calories. If I don't, I am just too hungry and end up eating everything I can find.

Try not to worry about it too much! Every day is a new day.

Listen to her. You need to NET 1200 calories. And your net calories is intake minus exercise - eat your exercise calories back.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agree with many of the other posts.

I eat NET 1200 cals per day as I have always eaten my exercise calories back (make sure the calories calculated are reasonably accurate as some items in the database seem very over the top). I do 1 to 2 hrs of moderate walking a day which for my current weight gives me an extra 160 calories so I will have 1360 cals on my exercise days. Eating exercise cals back is a bit of an emotive subject on MFP as lots of people do and lots don't but I think when you are on such a low daily cal target that it's better if you do. You could at least try it and see if the hunger pangs go and it triggers weight loss.

Also I really recommend to also add some key measurements on check-in such as Bust, Ribs, Waist, Hips, Thighs, Upper Arm as sometimes the scales don't show a great loss but you'll notice a difference in your measurements. I put a few lbs back on over xmas and have managed to lose this but my net position is the same, however I measured myself and I'd lost a couple of inches so it can keep you motivated. Good Luck!
  • brookeg20
    Options
    I found that when I wasn't eating most or all of my exercise calories back after a few days I was starving. I would eat a massive amount, which resulted in me going way over my calories. Once I started eating back those calories consistently, the feeling of being really hungry went away.

Remember that weight loss can be a slow process. I've only lost 8 pounds since October when I started. Think of it as trying to be healthier and change your lifestyle. Even if it comes slow, you will lose weight if you consider a life change.

Also, you use your will power all day long for lots of things, not just fo avoiding what you aren't supposed to eat. Every time you have to pay attention or do a task you don't really want to, you use up a little will power. That's why most binges happen later in the day, when your reserves of will power are low. Try taking all the foods that you aren't supposed to eat out of your house. Don't test yourself to see how strong you are. Be kind to yourself and don't even give yourself the temptation. If they are in my house, I WILL EAT THEM!!!! If then aren't, then I find something else and just think about them until I'm not so hungry.

Hang in there. This whole thing is trial and error, and you will never have the perfect diet all the time. You'll get it :)
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Much thanks for the advice, guys! It's super helpful. I'm going to stop weighing myself so often and just focus on being healthy. It's much easier once I forgive myself and move on.
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to have to try things out that work for YOU, many people say eat those calories from working out...and many people say you don't have too. I would keep logging your food...everyday, no matter what it is and your workouts. I also think drinking a lot of water is important. Don't give up! I was doing the same thing before, get mad so I'd eat more. I can't let myself do it anymore. Good luck and stay on MFP, it's been an amazing part of this new journey for me!