Pain

Options
Hi..I'm new here. I'm 50 years old. I quit smoking in October 2011 and have gained 20 lbs. I have a bad neck, shoulder and back from an accident I was in so I have trouble working out a lot. I bought WII Zumba last week. I look like an idiot but I try to keep up with it. Any other suggestions on exercises I can do that won't cause pain?

Replies

• ImJDLookatME
    Options
    Cycling, Yoga also might be good to help stretch you out
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Swimming!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If you can do Wii Zumba I bet you could do other dance-oriented games, like Dance Dance Revolution. I swear by that game. I first came to MFP in October and lost 7 pounds in just a few weeks by playing DDR for 30 minutes a day.

Also, nothing wrong with a good old fashioned walk around the block! (If it doesn't hurt your back). Basically, anything that gets you moving is great. What about a stationary bike? That way you could be sitting down and still burn calories. Do you have access to a gym?

Good luck to you!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'd go with swimming definitely :)
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have bad neck, shoulders, back, and knees, and was banned from Zumba by my orthopedist. LOVE it, but my body does not. What I've found works best for me is swimming for cardio and body pump for strength training/cardio in one. I do have to adapt body pump because I cannot do lunges and cannot put the bar up on my shoulders for squats, but can do it. Hope that helps.
  • Lyndzer
    Lyndzer Posts: 41
    Options
    good for you for quiting smoking!
    elliptical is supposed to be easier on the joints and still give a good workout I mean you might be uncomfortable, but uncomfortable is where change happens.

that and swimming, of course you should consult your doctor if you have health problems.

walking is also good, and you would be amazed at the difference it can make just to go out on a walk after dinner.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I would say swimming (but don't go marathon swimming!), or pilates (which are low-impact exercises).
  • pbear15
    pbear15 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help. My right arm has to stay down by my side but I will definately give some of your suggestions a shot.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Cycling not good for your back and neck. Later on maybe.
    Pilates for beginners.
    Gentle swimming.
    Cycling, Yoga also might be good to help stretch you out
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    WOW! You sound a lot like me.

I quit smoking 29 months ago (August 29 2009) and put on a few pounds. then some old injuries ( I was hit by a car when I was young) had me sidelined. I ended up gaining more weight. So, like you, I have 20 pounds to lose.

I found pilates quite hard on my neck. Yoga was good as long as I was thoughtful. So, I bought a recummbent exercise bike and an elliptical trainer. Both of these have helped me work on my cardio without undue stress on my neck and shoulders.

Let us know how you make out.

Kristine